“Wrongly categorised as a hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Emma

Hotel Emma
Ranked #231 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Canterbury, United Kingdom
“Wrongly categorised as a hotel”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2013

This establishment is not a hotel. Hotels have amenities and supply a service. I chose this hotel after specifying one with car parking facilities. this place has none and is incorrectly claiming it has facilities.This place does nothing more than supply rooms and breakfast. You are not trusted with keys but have to ring the bell to enter. It is a collection of bed-sits on the second floor with no lift. You have to negotiate two flights of a narrow staircase with your luggage to get to the front door. If you want a drink you have to leave the "hotel" and go to a machine in the entrance of the building on the ground floor. If you want the window open you will be kept awake by the very nearby trains. The walls are paper thin, we laid in bed listening to our neighbour snoring and the alarm going off in the mornings. We knew when she was urinating and showering. When she blow dried her hair we had to turn up the volume on the T.V.
The owner is a nice gentleman and makes terrific coffee in the morning.
On the plus side there are some nice antiques in the room such as the telly, A.C and the plumbing. It is very handy for the bus to the city centre, its right outside? The bed is more like a hammock as my wife and I kept rolling down into the middle. Fortunately we found a pharmacy to help get back pain pills, I have had an op many years ago but not suffered since, until i stayed here.O how we laughed.
There are squashed Mosquitos on the wall and curtains, how hard is it to wipe the walls?
I suppose if you are back-packing then this is ideal but it is certainly not a hotel.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Craig L
Albert87, Owner at Hotel Emma, responded to this review, 20 July 2013
Dear guests,
we are really sorry that your stay at the Hotel Emma was not as comfortable as you wished
but, please, allow us not to agree to some of your considerations especially the one where you define the Hotel Emma as *not* an Hotel.
All our rooms, except for one single room, have en-suite bathroom supplied with high quality cotton towels, shower soaps and shampoos.
All our rooms are supplied with DTV, phones and very quiet air conditioners which can be
regulated by each guest.
The WIFI service is available throughout the facility.
The temperature of the water is regulated by a thermostat so that you can get the best
comfort and we can avoid useless wastefulness.
Each room is cleaned every day, the changing of linen every other day.
The Hotel has a bar, opening hours daily 8 am / 12 pm.
We care for the environment, so, as I said before, the temperature of the water and of the rooms is regulated by thermostats and we use only low energy light bulbs.
For all this and much more we can proudly state that Hotel Emma *is* an hotel, that it is earning a more and more positive outcome. That's why we feel encouraged to carry on with a job
that is giving us so many satisfactions.
I do thank you for your appreciating our coffee.
We love to offer our guests the best of the italian coffee and cuppuccino tradition.
Then, about ring the bell every time in order to enter the hotel:
we think that it should be considered as a service and not as an inconvenience.
About the vending machine on the ground floor: again, we think it is a service that we guarantee our guests. Everyone can buy a can of soft drink or a bottle of water when and if the hotel bar is closed.
About the problem you had with the bed: we are really sorry that you didn't inform us about it during your stay. We would have done all we could to fix it. It's just that you've been the first one to point out this problem. We are taking actions.
About the noises from outside you reported: the railway is about 500 metres from the hotel and so even if sometimes the passage of a train can be heard we don't think it can cause any problem. However, as the Hotel is in a very quiet area, during the night most of the noises might be heard but we think you can easily solve the problem by closing the windows and using the air conditioner.
We really hope to see you soon again as our guests.
Kind regards.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2013

We were very satisfied with our 3 night stay at Hotel Emma, we chose this hotel based on TA reviews, value for money, B&B, and the appearance of the rooms, free WIFI, and we were fully aware of its location not close to the city centre.

On the day of arrival and departure we caught the #17 bus to/from the train station, roughly 15-20 minutes. The hotel is on the second floor of the building, stairs to the front door. I had emailed prior to arrival day hoping for an early check-in at 1pm, fortunately our room was ready and able to move in. Our room, 8, was at the back of the hotel, the last room at the end of the corridor, near the back covered terrace. The hotel is small and has only 10 rooms, our room was very pleasant, high ceilings, clean, queen size bed, television, individual air-conditioning, free WIFI with good connections, windows with shutters, nice drapes, compact bathroom. We found the bed and pillows very comfortable, and the room was very quiet at night.

Breakfast is served from 8-1030 in the dining room, the room looks over the the street, is decorated in true Florentine style, there are only 4 tables for 2 people at each. The breakfast buffet is fairly simple and can consisted of: 2 types of cereals, yoghurts, sweet cornettos, biscuits, juices, bread, meat and cheese. Tea and coffee is made for you. I found the buffet a little too sweet, too many sweet cornettos (pastries) and biscuits, sweet cereals, no fruit, and 2 of the 3 days there was no meat and cheese.

In the immediate area we dined at Il Nasone, a pizzeria close to the hotel (left out of the hotel and left again) nice pizza, good value. For dinner supplies, there is a grocery store on via Degli Artisti and one on Viale dei Mille (turn right out of the hotel and right again, walk 10 minutes, on the left hand side). We ate on the terrace on two evenings. Unfortunately we found an amazing looking gelateria, Badiani, on Viale dei Mille (right hand side) on our last afternoon, wish we could have made ourselves hungry, the place was full with what appeared to be locals.

We enjoy walking and didn't need to catch a bus for the length of our stay apart for one day when we needed to catch the #3 bus over the Arno river to a cooking class.

1 Thank kpiddy
Saskatoon, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 May 2013

We booked this hotel for just one night. We had a little trouble getting to the hotel by bus, but after getting on the bus in the right direction - it turned out ok. Our room was spacious and clean, but the overall decor, etc is fairly outdated. Breakfast was great, and in a very nice room. Our service was ok, although there was a bit of a language barrier. We got in late and needed some food, and there was a great little pizzeria with take out right by the hotel.

Regensburg, Germany
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

The comments on trip advisor are usually pretty consistent with reality but this time, they just did not match up. The hotel was not "a little outside the city" - it was inconvenient. Furthermore we could not find a single decent restaurant, bar or café within several blocks of the hotel. What we did find were two prostitutes standing outside the hotel... The rooms were dark and musty, and the beds unfortunately not very comfortable.
Instead of getting keys to come and go as you please, the owner lets you in (24 hours). When we came back at 3am from a night on the town, you felt like you were waking up your dad (insert twinge of unnecessary guilt).
I really cannot recommend this hotel - even if the terrace and breakfast room are charming.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2013

We loved our stay at Hotel Emma. We had booked it in error thinking it was near the station but it wasn't near SM Novella station. However we were not disappointed. Hotel Emma is in a nice area of Florence away from the main touristy bits. The host was very helpful giving us directions to the centre and answering any questions we had. He suggested a bus route but we had no difficulty in walking to the sights. The room was clean, our sheets were changed once in our 3 night stay! The breakfast was in a really peaceful room with fresh bread and croissants every day. Lovely

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
NYC
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

I've never given a bad review about any hotel and although I didn't have a miserable stay at Emma I did run into a few problems while I was there. I booked a 3 night stay via Expedia. First I booked a 2 night stay online back in early March with a discount no cancellation permitted for May. Immediately after I booked for 2 nights I decided to stay 3 nights instead. So I called Expedia and asked them if there would be any penalty if I added a night they said no. They explained to me that since I wasn't cancelling just adding an extra night I wouldn't be charged twice. So they added an extra night for 3 consecutive nights. Next day I noticed a charge for 224 Euros and 190 Euros. I called Expedia and they called the hotel but it was late at night and the desk clerk said to call in the morning. I call directly to the hotel the following day and spoke English slowly since i don't speak Italian they hung up on me. I did email them explaining what had happened but I never got a reply. When I got to the hotel the owner who was the only person running the hotel with a helper told me that I would be charged twice and that I should have emailed him about the reservation modification. I explained to that I did email him and Expedia tried to get in touch with him but he didn't seem to care and so I was charged twice. Anyway when I returned to NY I called my bank and explained what had happened and so they credited my account for the amount of 190. Problem #2 when we walked into our room the bed sheets had a red stain which to me and my wife looked like blood. There was more than one stain. I asked him to change the sheets when I went out when i got back he had swap the sheets with a clean one. problem #3 first night we heard someone walking up and down the hallway talking loud on their cell phone. Then one night around 10pm I was thirsty and went to get some water but the fridge was locked and so I went looking for the owner to buy a bottle of water but i couldn't find him. I went to tap the front desk bell to get someone to open the fridge but it was disabled so it didn't ring. I I walked all around up and down the hallway but couldn't find anyone. The front door was looked and I couldn't even get to water machine on the first floor. So I spent the whole night thirsty. Speaking of first floor their is no elevator in this hotel. In Venice I could except this but in Florence no elevator? We had to carry our luggage up the stairs. The owner sold me bus passes at the hotel and told me that his were cheaper than buying bus passes outside the hotel. When I went to to cigar stand across the street to buy a bus pass it was the same price and well as everywhere else. The mattresses are uncomfortable but so was every other hotel in Italy that I stayed in. If you have a bad back like me that might be a problem for you.The only positive thing I could say about this hotel is that it isn't too far from the historical site. It's about a 15 bus ride or you could possibly walk over.

Room Tip: Get a room away from the terrace people talk on their phones at night. Also away from the kitchen ar...
Alberto P, Direttore at Hotel Emma, responded to this review, 8 June 2013
Dear Guest,
regarding your reservations we would like to precise the following:
We received two different reservations, to you entitled, the first one for two days and the second one for three days.
For both reservations was applied the discounted rate, which implies the advanced payment-not refundable.
We confirmed both reservation and the rooms were reserved for you.
There is no record of you calling the hotel or sending e-mail to inform us about the mistake, we can assure you that we have checked several times and we haven't found any e-mail regarding this issue.
Just upon check-in time, we understood that you needed just one of the rooms reserved and we explained that both reservations were prepaid and the discounted rate applied doesn't permit any refund.
We don't know if you by mistake, instead of amending the existing reservation, did a new one or Expedia operators did not interpret correctly your request, either way we are sure that there is no error on our behalf. Hotel Emma has had an impeccable attitude regarding this issue.
We are sorry for the happening but, as explained previously, the special discounted rate is not refundable.
We are really sorry that you were not pleased with the stay in our hotel at the same time we feel that partially it has been inducted by the misunderstanding regarding your reservation.
Especially, I apologize if there have been any issues with the quality of our services, we do our utmost to provide impeccable cleaned rooms.
We daily check the quality of the provided services, receiving excellent feedbacks.
The bell at the reception is a mechanic bell, as such it can't be dis-activated.
The reception service is guaranteed up to midnight and there is always a person in charge 24 hours a day, available for any emergency.
The bus ticket is a plus service that we offer to our guests without any profit for our hotel therefore there is no reason to advertise it as more convenient. If you purchase the ticket on the bus there is a surcharge and probably this is what I was referring to when I informed you about the ticket's cost.
We try our best to provide better services for our guests, to help them have a pleasent and comfortable stay, we are really dissappointed to understand that such dedication is misinterpreted and qualified as misleading for our own benefit.
We best wishes Hotel Emma
Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2013

My family and I stayed here at the beginning of April. Domenico, the owner, is very nice and helpful and it goes out of his way to make your stay more pleasant. The Hotel itself was pleasant, I thought our rooms and the dining room were quite nice, our room was away from the main road and quiet off a corridor that leads to a nice patio overlooking the skyline of surrounding houses. Breakfast was simple but ok. Location - it is very well situated its about 20-25 minutes walk into the centre of Florence and if you don't feel like walking back there is the bus stop right outside the hotel so getting in and out of town is no problem.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family