“pros and cons”
Review of Hotel Emma

Hotel Emma
Ranked #251 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 5 July 2014

The hotel is located ~20 walk to the center of Florence, maybe 30-40 minutes to further away sites. For the price, it was great to be within walking distance of all that Florence has to offer. The room itself was spacious and clean and equipped with AC , but the walls were thin and we could easily hear neighbors. Breakfast was adequate to get the day started and the cappuccino was a nice touch. The bed was somewhat uncomfortable and the pillows were very flat. These were minor inconveniences though. The main issue I had with the hotel was that the door to get in the building and also into the hotel are locked at night and reception needs to let you in. Reception is only until 12, and so a late European meal with a long walk home was often cutting it close. He let us borrow the key one night "just in case" but it seems odd to have to request the owner's key in order to come back to your hotel room. It also seems that only one guest at a time (of ~12) would have this privilege. I'm not sure I would stay again mostly for this reason.

1  Thank Kristen R
Francesco F, Responsabile relazioni pubbliche at Hotel Emma, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2014

Dear Kristen R,
thank you for visiting Emma Hotel and have enjoyed our convenient location with the quality of our breakfast and our cappuccino and the cleanliness of our rooms with quiet air conditioning.
Sorry for the bed a bit 'uncomfortable and pillows. For the next time you heralded right away to the Director will immediately solve the discomfort. Thank you for telling us of the thin walls. is our concern continuously improving our Hotel and "cons" thou hast written, are precious to be transformed in "pros". The hotel reception is always guarded to welcome guests and ensure their safety. Considering it is a 2 star hotel, the front desk is not staffed at night and for nighttime prefer to provide previously the key for guests that tell us to be late. But it is a possibility we offer to all customers that ask :) We apologize for this misunderstanding.
Hope to see you soon to remedy the problems you have experienced and make your stay at the wonderful Hotel Emma

Reviewed 3 July 2014

We were very happy with our stay at hotel Emma, Domenico and his staff were friendly and very helpful with information on getting around Florence . The rooms were very clean and comfortable. Breakfast and the cappuccino every morning were perfect!! We highly recommend this hotel for your stay in Florence. Two wonderful restaurants right next door

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks Debbie for having recommended Emma M Hotel for your stay in Florence. We are pleased you have been well and you appreciated staff and the Director of the hotel. The cleanliness of the rooms and the excellent quality of our breakfast are our pride. We look forward again to Florence to enjoy other wonderful restaurants in the typical Tuscan cuisine and the beautiful city

Reviewed 1 July 2014

Such a lovely hotel, the room was clean and comfortable the shower quality was good and the hair dryer and towels adequate, the owner was so kind and helpful, there was an air-conditioner in the room (which helped in June) There was a little terrace at the end of the hall for guests to sit out on with plenty of seating we used this most evenings with a glass of wine it made for a perfect end to the evenings, the breakfast was good with fresh coffee made to order the only thing lacking was cheese (which only bothered my husband) only a 20 minutes walk (or 5 minute bus, that stops directly outside the hotel) in to the center of town for all the attractions, a few good restaurants for all budget ranges (a few doors down is amazing value with free soft drink refills)

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Thanks Raven J for the nice words you've dedicated :)
We are always happy to know our patio is loved by our guests that can live for breakfast or sip a glass of good Italian wine. The convenient location of the hotel in Campo di Marte with many restaurants and stores nearby, breakfast with Italian coffee, freshly baked croissants and cappuccino with fresh milk have allowed a pleasant stay at the Hotel Emma. Sorry for the cheese and thank you for telling us. If you come back to Florence find it immediately in our breakfast ;)
We hope to see you soon in Florence!

Reviewed 19 June 2014

The room was clean, with its own shower and toilet. Breakfast was nice - an array of juices, yogurt, and pastries. The best part about the hotel is the owner. He is extremely helpful with suggestions for sightseeing, directions, etc. The hotel is about a 30 minute walk from the center of old Firenze and the Duomo. The bus stop 50 meters from the hotel is for a line that goes to the main train station in the city center, and takes about 20 minutes at rush hour. It's not luxurious or particularly romantic, but it is convenient, comfortable, and clean.

2  Thank Charles A

Dear CharlesA2,
we are glad you found us well and you enjoyed our breakfast of sweet and salty. Thanks for the compliments to our Director is always careful to satisfy all the needs of our guests. We hope you will return to Florence and appreciate our romantic patio maybe you have not could try. Ideal for spring and summer nights in Florence :)
See you soon!

Reviewed 29 May 2014

I reserved a room at the Hotel Emma based on the very informative and factual information provided on TripAdvisor. It was all that people had claimed.

I was able to get good information about the hotel from their website, and there were good instructions on how to get to the hotel from the railway station (Santa Maria Novella). When you get off the train, there are not tourist information booths to help you, so come armed with info.

As I left the station, I found a little booth directly in front of the station and a little to the left. You can buy a ticket there for the bus #17. This bus stops right at the front door to the hotel. It is actually one of their stops. I arrived in the afternoon, and the bus was a little crowded, but I didn’t have any problems. Once I got on board, I validated my ticket, and they dropped me off right in front of the hotel - just like they said they would.

If you are planning to stay in Florence for a while, be aware that it is a walkable city; however, if you are out of shape and not used to walking (especially up and down hills and cobblestone roads and up and down lots of stairs), it might be wise to consider purchasing a pass? Do some research and find out what will work for you.

The hotel is literally 15-20 minutes from the old section of town where most of the important sights are, but it can be rough.

Arriving at the hotel, you go up a flight of steps. Once again, if you are carrying your own luggage and you are out of shape, this first climbing experience might dissuade you. There is no elevator to get to the Hotel level.

Once you arrive at the door, there is a doorbell to the left, and when you use it, the door will either be opened by the caretaker who may not be at the desk at the time, or you may actually see him and he will let you in.

Check in is pretty simple. I booked on line and paid prior to arriving (at the end of my 4 day stay, there was an extra 8 Euro fee - so be prepared for that as well).

The proprietor is very friendly and was able to give me a map and point out how to get to the most important sights in town. I had booked the only room in the hotel (#1) that used a shared bathroom. The room itself has a shower and sink. Apparently, the shared bathroom is only for this particular room as all the other rooms have their own facilities so you pretty much have the bathroom all to yourself, it’s just not attached to or in your room.

The room itself is well appointed. While I was here it is been on the cool side at nights, so there is an extra blanket and pillow provided. I used the blanket because it did get cold. There is A/C in the room for warmer days, and on the day I arrived, I turned it on and it worked okay.

The bed is large and little hard but not uncomfortable. There is a closet where you can put your stuff, a small bed table with a drawer, and a little ledge above the bed if you need to store other items. There is also a chair in the room which I used for my suitcase. There are two outlets you can use (bring your own adaptors - two-prong variety). They were adequate for charging my electronics.

The hotel is a long hallway with suites on either side. Voices can be heard in the hallway, and in the other rooms, especially if people are having loud conversations or watching TV. My room’s window opened to the patio (which is very nice ,by the way, when it is warm out), and you can hear all the activity that goes on in this area. Usually by 10 or 10:30 pm, things quiet down. An inconsiderate guest could upset the apple cart, however, so be forewarned.

Smoking is allowed in the patio but not in the rooms. I was not able to smell smoke the entire time I was here except in the patio. The rooms are smoke free.

There is a dining area for breakfast which is included. It is a simple breakfast of juice, milk, cereal, breads (sweet and otherwise). The proprietor will fix your coffee for you to your specifications. No hot food.

The proprietor speaks English and is very helpful with information on what to do and how to get where you need to go.

The hotel is situated in a mixed area. There are plenty of shops, eateries, and other stores around the area. There is even a cinema across the street and down the block. Ice cream and pastries can be purchased on the main street around the corner, and there are several markets (small and large) down the street from the hotel where you can purchase fruit and snacks or beer and wine.

I like to walk, so I did not use public transportation while I was here and I got to see a lot of the city. You should be warned that walking can be difficult in Florence, and you should be prepared for that.

There is free Wi-Fi in the hotel, but you need to let the proprietor know if you have more than one device because each one has to get a special log in and password from him. I have used it the entire time I’ve been here, and I haven’t had any problems.

Keep in mind, this is not a “luxurious” hotel. If you don’t mind a little noise, it’s really worth it.

Room Tip: Room #1 is next to the patio, so there may be some noise and conversations you will overhear.