“Very nice place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #94 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Bergen
“Very nice place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

We stayed in this hotel in the beginning of April, 2012. A fantastic place: cosy rooms with Florentine cupboards and extremely high ceiling, old chairs in the hall and corridors, window with the view to the inner garden, decent breakfast under the accompaniment of Mozart... Quite close to city centre and next to Arno river, where you can catch fantastic views if you walk at daybreak. The service is excellent, the owner was kind and friendly. It is definitely not a luxury hotel, but a very nice place at low price, worth every cent and even more.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Seidali K
crocini, Proprietario at Hotel Crocini, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear Guest;
thank you so much for your very nice feedback! Yes, this is not a luxury hotel and and we are really proud our our two stars, and very happy to see that you liked our philosophy ;)
I look forward to see you again very soon, hopefully with a better weather, to appreciate even more, if possible, the walks along the river!
Lorenzo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Louisiana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

We stayed here one night. The area of town felt very safe, and it's only a 15 min walk to the train station. The staff was very helpful and super friendly. Breakfast was great! They even served breakfast early when we told them that we had to leave earlier for our tour. The only downside is the shared bathroom. Although, I think there might have been the option for a private bathroom if we would have paid more.

• Stayed April 2012
1 Thank amyloutoo
crocini, Owner at Hotel Crocini, responded to this review, 10 April 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you very much for your nice feedback! We really try to do our best with the service, and it's a pleasure to hear that you liked it. The next time I hope to accomodate you in the other rooms we have here at Hotel Crocini, there are 3 levels for every budget : shared bath, standard and superior rooms, but for everybody the buffet breakfast and the friendly unformal service are not optionals ;)
My best from Florence!
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 April 2012

My wife and I, both mature age guests, enjoyed our stay at the Hotel Crocini very much indeed.
We stayed in January, so that is a good test of the heating and hot water for any establishment, and our largish double room with high and ornate ceilings was both warm and comfortable.There was ample hot water in a bathroom that was spotlessly clean with a shower that was more than adequate in size and fittings. The towels, in particular, were excellent--not always the case in Italian hotels. Our wi-fi connection was good (and free), and the breakfast provided was ample and varied--including cereal and toast as well as the usual contintental dishes.

The Hotel is very well located in a quiet residential area, close to buses,the new frequent tram, and the Teatro Communale,s well as within easy walking distance of the central station and the Duomo. But perhaps the best feature of this modest hotel is the host, Lorenzo--and his staff. Lorenzo is a mine of local information and is extremely welcoming and helpful with any arrangements you might wish to make,
We would recommend this hotel to those looking for an inexpensive, quiet and restful base from which to explore Florence.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian B
crocini, Proprietario at Hotel Crocini, responded to this review, 8 April 2012
Dar Mr. Ian,
thank you very much for your kind feedback, it's a real pleasure to know that our efforts are appreciated . At the end of february we refurbished some details, we do have now brand new fireproof heavy wood doors in the standard rooms (the high ceiling rooms) that are keeping even more quiet the place.
I hope to see you again really soon!
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

I just stayed at the Hotel Crocini this last weekend with two fellow tutor volunteers. We are in Italy for several months and visited Florence for the weekend. We were looking for a budget option and found the Hotel Crocini. At first I was a bit wary because it was so inexpensive, but the glowing reviews convinced me to book a room.

I am happy to say that the reviews were definitely accurate – we had a wonderful time. We booked a triple room with a shared bathroom to save even more money, and despite our messy sharees in the bathroom it was still surprisingly convenient. When we were first shown to our room we were a little worried about the tiny door (just 6 feet tall, as tall as one of my travel partners who had to duck to get into the room), but once you’re in it opens up to 25 foot tall ceilings. It was a truly cavernous room – and totally beautiful.

The included breakfast was a little sparse – I could’ve done with some more fresh fruit and fewer packaged goods – but the very fact that it was included was a bonus. The free internet was a bit spotty, but that tends to happen in these solidly built old structures.

The best part was the staff. Everyone we talked to was incredibly helpful and kind. One gentleman even gave me some of his cough drops when I fell ill and all the nearby pharmacies were closed. They gave us directions, helped us make phone calls, and were especially kind to hold our luggage for several hours after our checkout.

To be perfectly honest this is not a hotel for the luxury traveler – but this should be evident from the prices. If you want to laze about your hotel room and enjoy the amenities, go somewhere else. But if you’re looking for a nice, clean, traditional place to park your weary head between sightseeing adventures, then this is the perfect space to book.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Robin V
Louisville, Kentucky
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 February 2012

Great price and location, it was less than a 20 min walk to anything! Excellent customer service too! Breakfast was ok, a lot of prepackaged things but overall this place is awesome.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Priscilla M
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2012

My husband and I came to Florence as part of our honeymoon. When we booked, we really wanted to keep the costs low since we had planned on visiting 4 cities in 2 countries. This place was pretty reasonably priced and seemed pretty clean by the pictures.
When we got to Florence it was a cool 45 degrees Celcius. We decided to walk from the train station while dragging our luggage behind us. By the time we got to the hotel half our bodies had melted and we couldn't wait for some cool relief. Sadly, we were only greeted by a humid reception area though the receptionist himself was pretty nice.
It's only when we got to our room that I realized there was no A/C anywhere in this place "but we have a fan" is what the receptionist responded. The walls were covered in dead mosquitos and the floor appeared dirty. The bed was 2 singles pushed to make 1 queen size bed and the bathroom was .... a bathroom. There was nowhere to really lay out our things. No countertops in the bathroom and only one little chair in the room. We really didn't want to put our luggage on the floor for fear of insects creeping in (not that we saw any).
The hotel offered daily breakfast but the food wasn't great. It was pre-packaged croissants, cold cuts that had a chewy consistancy, cheese and stale bread and pastries and OJ that tasted like it was powdered. While my husband took full advantage of the free breakfast, I skipped it altogether and preferred to get something to eat at a restaurant. It was about a 20 minute walk from the main square and in the heat it felt more like 40 minutes. If it had been cooler out, I think we might have enjoyed all the walking.

I can't say this was a terrible place because we had great service and a breakfast option which, for the price, is pretty good. Not having any A/C during this heatwave is really why I would most likely not stay here again. However for the price we paid, it wasn't bad.

After speaking to other travelers and their hotel experience, it seems we were better off than most who had no A/C or fan.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gessicaj
crocini, Proprietario at Hotel Crocini, responded to this review, 15 January 2012
Dear Guest
Thank you for your feedback, I'm happy to know that you appreciated our service and our quality/price level.
Actually we really never said that we had air conditioning in our standard rooms, so I understand that there has been a misunderstanding when you booked your room and I really apologize about this matter, for sure there has been a communication problem. Should I have imagined your disappointment (and you're really right, last summer here has been really very warm!) I could have offered to you an upgrade in one of our 9 superior rooms with A/C in order to make your Florentine experience the best possible.
Anyway now I am pleased to announce you that during the month of december we had an important refurbishment, including the installation of an A/C system in all our 8 standard and 3 shared bathroom guest rooms , in the reception area and in the breakfast room, so the whole hotel now will be cool and fresh (or warm anz cozy in winter as you can set the temperature of the room with the controller) ready to give you the necessary rest after a long summer day in Florence.
So... I look forward with great pleasure to meet you again here at Hotel Crocini the next time that you will consider Florence as a step of your summer or winter holidays, as air conditioning now is present in all our rooms, and 100% efficient !
Lorenzo Peroni
Adelaide
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

My partner and I arrived in Florence in the Heat of October this year and walked the 20minutes luggage in hand from the station to our booked hotelthe hotel Ariele just around the corner the corner from the Hotel Crocini. The hotel had been booked and paid in full 1 months in advance with our travel agent. We we hot and desperate for a cold drink and cool shower but were greeted with the news that at some point by someone that our booking had been cancelled. Staff at this hotel were totally disinterested in our situation, offered no explanation and were not interested in assisting us find alternative accommodation ( there was not even the oppotunity to have a cold drink) .

Thankfully we stumbled upon the Hotel Croccini where the staff not only welcomed us with open arms but the tariff was cheaper and included a lovely breakfast as well.

Facilities were great, location fabulous, and staff very welcoming and accommodating. Our only regret is that we didn't stay longer.
Service will make up fo almost any short comings - but there were really none that we could think of. Would definately stay there again.

Staff were fabulous, loat

Room Tip: Our room on the first floor had a lovely view over the central court yard