“Awful experience of extremely rude staff”
Review of Hotel Etrusca

Hotel Etrusca
Ranked #381 of 410 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I was planning to stay at this hotel because they offered a central location at a very cheap price. As I am only staying in Florence for one night I thought I would go here expecting nothing great at all (having read other bad reviews). However, upon booking I received a rude email informing me that obviously I must have known the cost is not correct, and either I had to pay a lot extra or cancel my booking. I cancelled and commented that I would find somewhere else with higher ratings who wouldn't change the price. I received not one but two further abusive emails, stating I mean nothing to them and people like me are making Italians homeless. It would be great if this place started reading their awful reviews and taking on board feedback to change the way they deal with people. I, for one, will NEVER stay here ever.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jogger85

Reviewed 22 August 2012

Worst travel experience I have ever had.
My sister and I initially arrived to find a locked hotel. After some confused mobile phone calls to the hotel desk we were finally let in by the owner, only to discover that our room had been double-booked and that there was no accommodation for us. At this point the owner assured us that she was going to find us another hotel to stay in for our 2 nights in Florence. After 10 minutes in a cab (to what we have since found out was the scary, dodgy part of town) we arrived to a tiny, dingy private residence, complete with an italian family that spoke no english, and were shown to a small, spartan and frankly dirty bedroom. And the best part was, we were expected to pay 100 euro per night for this "privilege". When we called the manager of Hotel Etrusca to work out what was going on and to help us communicate with this italian family we were verbally abused and told that it was not her problem and to work it out for ourselves. At this point my sister and I left and travelled on to Venice where we thankfully had a wonderful time.
My advice to those reading this review - if there is somewhere else that you can stay in Florence then I suggest you do so. I'd hate for anyone else to have to go through the stress and anxiety that we went through, particularly when there are other hotels nearby with better prices, better facilities and who will not treat you like they treated us.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank littlekatiesteele
Reviewed 18 July 2012 via mobile

On reading so many negative reviews just a few days before we were due to check in, we were rather anxious. The hostel is 5 minutes walking distance from the station and we were pleasantly surprised. On arrival the staff were friendly and welcoming and immediately upgraded us to a better room for no excess charge. The room was basic but clean and the bathroom served its purpose. The air conditioning in our room did not work but we were quickly provided with a fan for the room. Good quality for a good price, does what it says on the tin.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 1 July 2012

The place was as expensive as a three star hotel across the street and was disgusting and I have extremely low standards. More importantly there customer service was terrible. they tried to scam me for two separate weekends when I booked only one and were not reasonable in trying to fix this problem. Do not stay here. There are many hostels and hotels in Florence at reasonable prices. Do not waste your time dealing with this hostel.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 1 April 2012

We arrived at the arranged time - only to be locked out of the hotel? Made an expensive moble call to the Hotel number - only to be abused by some irrate Italian who spoke terrible English?
Eventually managed to gain access ( shop keeper next door - let us in) - only to find out Hotel was un-manned and locked? Again another expensive mobile call to owner - who was not happy we were disturbing him?
Eventually a man turned up - he was increadbly rude and then decided to inform us we couldnt pay by credit card as previously arranged?
We were eventually shown to our pre-booked double room - and the reality certainly didnt atch up to the pictures and descriptions on the internet? The Hotel is dirty and falling to pieces?
The room stank - the bed sheets were stained , the door wooden trim had a gap of about 6mm all the way round it ( where it looked like it had been kicked in previously) and you could see through in to the passage way? The en-suite bathroom was a joke and stunk and was mouldy and very dirty?
There was no way on earth we were going to stay in a crap hole like this?
The Hotels web site IS NOT TO BE BELEIVED in any way shape or form? I kind of get the immpression that the Hotel has been brought by someone else and in no way even resembles any of the pictures on there web site?
Do yourself a favour and DO NOT book this Hotel - you have been warned?
My Wife and I just walked out ( much to the dis-like of the owner) and luckily managed to find alternative accomodation - which was fantastic.
In brief - this place stinks - it's dirty, it's falling apart, it's a joke? The Hotels web site is a complete lie and doesnt ressemble anything you might find when you arrive ( even if you manage to gain entry).
Overall - VERY NASTY

Room Tip: Do not stay at this awefull - flea pit. It really is bad
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mark r
Reviewed 7 December 2011

If you're looking for large rooms, cable TV and all the trimmings, look elsewhere.

The hotel was very basic, rooms compact and we had some problems with our shower, meaning we had to use the shared one down the corridor from our room.

Overall, however we would most definitely recommend this hotel to people visiting Firenze for the first time because of the amazing local knowledge we received from the hotel manager. Without her advice, our day and a half in the city and 2 more days in the rest of Tuscany would not have been anywhere near the amazing experience we enjoyed.

Not only did we get an overview of all the local monuments and attractions, we also found out where the locals go to eat, have ice cream, buy fruit and vegetables etc. The advice was spot on in every respect and we would not have traded this amazing information for a bigger room or more fancy decor.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank neo2020
Reviewed 22 September 2011

I arrived at this hotel very late due to the train system breakdown. Luckily I made a call to the hotel and told them that I will reach very late, like 1am. The location is good, near to the attractions and main train station. The rooms are very basic. Some hostel I stayed in Europe is actually better than this hotel. You get what you paid for. I got the whole double room for my own ^^ which was near to the reception so I had a good signal for the wifi. The receptionist was friendly. The bathroom was quite a disaster where the water won't flow. So after each bath, I basically flooded the bathroom. The bathrooms are basic, cleanliness is ok, but not great. The best thing about the stay for me was I got the whole room myself for the shared room price :)

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo