“Redemption” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #594 of 653 Florence B&B and Inns
Austin, TX
“Redemption”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

I have to be honest -- Soggiorno Burchi was a challenging place to stay. The accommodations were modest and we noticed that from the beginning. We stayed two nights at this place, and those were two very challenging nights. It was November 2011 and it was COLD in the room. The purveyor snuck in turned the heat off during the day and had to be coaxed to turn it on at night. We were very chilly in our bed with very few extra blankets and very thin sheets. I also remember it being loud, though the rooms are set off the street quite a bit. The purveyor, in typical and memorable Italian fashion, would yell to family members down the hall or down the stairs. They purveyor lives upstairs, and was to her credit as helpful as she could be at her age and with her limited English.

When my partner became ill halfway through our stay there, she offered use of the kitchen for me to attempt to cook chicken noodle soup (or a version of) and checked on us (very loudly) and often. After the illness, we had less trouble getting her to turn on the heat in the drafty old place!

Not only did the illness mar our stay at Soggiorno Burchi, but to top it off I stupidly left my precious little Canon point-and-shoot with all my vacation pictures on it in the hotel room. We were rushed and ready to leave that place, and I was preoccupied and worried about my ill partner and so I did not check the hotel room as well as I usually do when leaving. I left our digital camera in the top drawer of the night-table. I only realized the terrible mistake after we had boarded and been on the train to Rome for 30 minutes or more. Thus began the nightmare of translation, confusion, and assumed accusations between me and the purveyors of Soggiorno Burchi. I called them right after we got off the train from the train station, but communication of the problem was NOT happening at that point. She could not hear/understand me and I could not hear/understand her.

So we went to check in at Papa Germano's in Rome. (I will do a review of them soon because they are the life-savers in this story) After hours of working with the amazing receptionist at Papa's, we finally were able to translate the following:
1.) I did not think she or her cleaning crew stole my camera. I was not accusing her of that.
2.) I would be willing to pay for the shipping of the camera to the USA.
3.) My address, written out and faxed several times.
4.) It was in the VERY back of the dresser drawer, if they would have just LOOKED all the way in it the first, second, and third time they checked. (OMG)

I left Rome not knowing if I would ever see my camera again. Two weeks later, though, Soggiorno Burchi came through. They sent my camera back to me, with all my Italy vacation pictures, in PERFECT condition to a tune of 40EURO. It was pricey for them, and they ate the cost. Probably because they felt so bad about the 2 hour back and forth regarding the camera, probably because of the less than savory accommodations, and probably so that I would have a very interesting, and now funny story to tell about leaving my camera on Florence and somehow getting it back.

Thanks, Soggiorno Burchi. I recommend you for your kindness, if nothing else.

Honestly if you want a "true" Italian/Florence experience that will be surely etched in your memory, I recommend this place. If you want a purveyor that is nice enough to send your camera back to you free of charge after 2 hours of begging over the phone from Rome, then stay here. Yes. They are awesome for sending my camera back and I deem them average because of that.

Room Tip: Ask for heat
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MercedesAustin_TX

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Belgrade, Serbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

We arrived there and were welcomed very nicely. The old couple who run this place are very kind but unfortunately I will have to point out some bad sides.

The room is ok, but the AC that is listed is actually a small ventilator. The windows have nets for mosquitos but they are thorn and not helpful. The room we stayed in was supposed to be quite, but the man who is, I think the owner, is so loud in the morning that you can not sleep at all. The internet DID NOT WORK, so we had to go to a nearby hostel.
And, it's bed and breakfast but you pay for breakfast and have to say in advance that you intend to have one.

Good sides: The location is excellent, everything is near. Even the laundry place is in the same street as well as bars, cafes, small shops, market... We came by car and they provided free parking which was VERY helpful, since the parking in Italy is very expensive.

Room Tip: we were in a room no 4, overlooking the garden, not the street.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Northallerton
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

The other reviews are bit harsh on here, I didn't find any of the problems that others did on here. It was the cheapest place for us, especially so close to the centre. So what if they don't speak much English, it's Italy!!! On the good notes, it was a great location, fairly quiet, clean enough. On the bad points, there was a problem with the online booking which didn't come through but he accommodated us anyway, we did have a mosquito in our room, and there was no air con as advertised

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Fes, Morocco
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2011

We booked three nights here but left after one. The floors and walls of our room were very dirty when we arrived, but it didn't seem to bother the woman showing us our room at all. There were squished mosquitoes all over the walls, which is never a good sign, but we decided to give it a try. There's no AC (although they advertise that they have it), which would be ok if Florence weren't overrun with mosquitoes in the summer. If you leave the windows open, you get eaten alive at night. If you close the windows, you bake. We couldn't sleep because the mosquitoes were so bad. I ended up with other strange red bites that weren't from mosquitoes... I don't know what. We decided to leave and find another place. The woman was not happy that we left, but she did finally let us go without threatening to charge another night or anything. We were paying 50 euros a night here (booked through hostelworld), and we found something much better, cleaner, and with AC for 65, which seemed like a good deal to us.

I thought the bed was decently comfortable and the sheets were clean, so if you don't mind a place that's a little dirty, maybe this would be an ok budget option at a cooler time of year. I wouldn't stay here again though.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank SamandSarah_11

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Stavanger, Norway
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 August 2011

Horrible hotel/hostel. The room was dirty, found hair and nails that were not mine. Very loud noise from window when the hawkers dragged the carriges infront of bedroom in the early morning. The toilet was loose, almost fell off. The door could not be closed. Find somthing better and enjoy the beautiful city.
- As mentioned before, the close proximity to train station is very good though.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends
Auckland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

I was only in Florence overnight, so having a place to stay close to the train station was important to me. The room was spacious enough, and clean. Everything was pretty basic, but adequate. The stairs up to the room looked shabbier than the room that I stayed in.

The owners don't speak much English (but do speak a lot of loud Italian). Probably not ideal if you're a light sleeper, but I think it added to the overall Italian experience. If you can get a good deal on a booking site I would recomend it - but the full price is not what I would consider good value for money.

Stayed June 2010, travelled solo
Udine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2010

horrible place, very dirty, during the night i was bitten by insects...terrible experience

avoid this place!