“This was an antique... felt like a grandma's place....”
Review of Soggiorno Burchi

Soggiorno Burchi
Ranked #600 of 661 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 July 2014

Luckily I only spent one night here just to make over for the next morning's early train. Yes it was close to the train station, but the sound insulation was really really poor. The owners were an old couple, and they both spoke loudly, which disturbed my sleeping a looooooot!!!! Besides, they couldn't speak much English, actually our communication was 80% based on guessing each other's language (English - Italian).... This place made me felt like I stayed one night over at someone's Italian grandma's.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Amber Z

Reviewed 24 July 2014

I was travelling with my boyfriend and we had a wonderfull experience. The owner, a nice and welcoming lady, has been absolutely helpful with all our needs. The room was quiet and clean. Just down the bulding, on Via Faenza, we have found nice and cheap café and restaurants and we have spent one of the most amazing holiday. I strongly recommend the Soggiorno Burchi for all the couples and small groups who are looking for a genuine Italian atmosphere and a cheap accomodation.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 December 2013

We hadn't checked the reviews when booking and got there expecting a fairly nice, budget hotel as in the pictures.

When we got there the owners showed us to our room, as we walked in he started shouting ushering us out, we looked and there was underwear and washing all round the room. We gathered he'd taken us into the wrong one and got shown downstairs. We got into our next room to find it was being used as a luggage store, after the suitcases were taken out we started looking round. The room was falling to piece but it was fine, we weren't expecting luxury.

The shared bathroom as really dirty, an old mop in the corner, hairs all over the place.. I even joked about not showering during our stay.

We decided to just go out and look round florence, we only had three days there so we wanted to make the most of it. We left for around 3 hours then decided to head back for a nap.

On return we came back to our room unlocked so rushed in to check our things. Luckily everything was there but I was really unnerved and freaked out thinking someone had been in our room. None of the other doors were kept locked so our bedroom door was the only thing stopping anyone walking in off the street.

We decided that we just didn't feel safe staying there and leaving our belongings there so set out to find another hotel for the night. After wandering round fir two hours we finally found somewhere with a room free and asked them to write us a translated explanation as to why were not going to be staying at Soggiorno.

We got back, went to speak to them and gave the translation, were very apologetic but said we just couldn't pay for a room that was going to be unlocked. We were then shouted at for some time until I got a phone shoved in my face with a man speaking english on the other end. I explained everything and gave it back to the owners who then shouted down the phone and hung up.

The only thing we understood from the conversation was that they said it was them that had gone into our room and must of forgotten to lock the door, they also said we could go but they would be charging us for everything, and they had by card details.

Eventually they slammed the door in our faces so we left. On return to England I received an email from booking.com saying they claimed we never turned up so would be charged £60 fine.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jessica O
Reviewed 7 July 2013

So I guess it all depends on your attitude. We took this as apart of an 'experience'. We were in desperate need of accommodation and Florence was pretty much booked out unless you want to pay ALOT for accommodation.
We got the last room available, the location is brilliant and we ignored the reviews! Haha!
Ill start with the positives... The owners are lovely. They do not speak a word of English but it didnt matter, we fumbled our way through conversations. The bed was comfy, two singles put together to make a King. Linen was clean, room was a good size, we had wardrobes and an air conditioner (more on that in a moment).
Now for the negatives...
Bugs everywhere! My friend was left covered in bites, not only mosquito but something else. We bought repellant to help but it didnt do much.
The bathroom was always dirty. Covered in short black curlys, muddy tiles and urine splashed toilet. We just wore thongs and again, put it down to experience!
The airconditioner was a newish spil system. However... no remote to be found in the room. I feel they keep the remotes to prevent you from using them. But like naughty children, we found the manual switch and just made sure we turned it off everytime we left the hotel. You need airconditioning in that place in summer. It is HOT and due to all the bugs, you really have to keep the windows closed.
The last thing was our wake-up call. Every morning around 8:30am the yelling starts. In full Italian between husband and wife and helpers, rather than go face to face to have a conversation, they yell it out from one side to the other and usually have an argument of 3 before 9am. Its not the nicest way to wake up and to me, this was the worst part of our stay. More so because there was no consideration for guests. They also knocked on our door every morning (which we them answered in our pjs) to ask if we were leaving today. Didnt matter how many times we told them... they still came to check everyday!

Other than that it wasnt too bad. We laughed at most things and tried to not take it seriously.

Room Tip: A alternative to a hostel... but not a great hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 April 2013

The hotel is walking distance from the station which makes it very convenient. Also close to the San Lorenzo market and Duomo. No English - but it adds to the foreign experience! We could only pay cash - no Master or Visa facilities.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank Santa M
Reviewed 27 August 2012

I have to be honest -- Soggiorno Burchi was a challenging place to stay. The accommodations were modest and we noticed that from the beginning. We stayed two nights at this place, and those were two very challenging nights. It was November 2011 and it was COLD in the room. The purveyor snuck in turned the heat off during the day and had to be coaxed to turn it on at night. We were very chilly in our bed with very few extra blankets and very thin sheets. I also remember it being loud, though the rooms are set off the street quite a bit. The purveyor, in typical and memorable Italian fashion, would yell to family members down the hall or down the stairs. They purveyor lives upstairs, and was to her credit as helpful as she could be at her age and with her limited English.

When my partner became ill halfway through our stay there, she offered use of the kitchen for me to attempt to cook chicken noodle soup (or a version of) and checked on us (very loudly) and often. After the illness, we had less trouble getting her to turn on the heat in the drafty old place!

Not only did the illness mar our stay at Soggiorno Burchi, but to top it off I stupidly left my precious little Canon point-and-shoot with all my vacation pictures on it in the hotel room. We were rushed and ready to leave that place, and I was preoccupied and worried about my ill partner and so I did not check the hotel room as well as I usually do when leaving. I left our digital camera in the top drawer of the night-table. I only realized the terrible mistake after we had boarded and been on the train to Rome for 30 minutes or more. Thus began the nightmare of translation, confusion, and assumed accusations between me and the purveyors of Soggiorno Burchi. I called them right after we got off the train from the train station, but communication of the problem was NOT happening at that point. She could not hear/understand me and I could not hear/understand her.

So we went to check in at Papa Germano's in Rome. (I will do a review of them soon because they are the life-savers in this story) After hours of working with the amazing receptionist at Papa's, we finally were able to translate the following:
1.) I did not think she or her cleaning crew stole my camera. I was not accusing her of that.
2.) I would be willing to pay for the shipping of the camera to the USA.
3.) My address, written out and faxed several times.
4.) It was in the VERY back of the dresser drawer, if they would have just LOOKED all the way in it the first, second, and third time they checked. (OMG)

I left Rome not knowing if I would ever see my camera again. Two weeks later, though, Soggiorno Burchi came through. They sent my camera back to me, with all my Italy vacation pictures, in PERFECT condition to a tune of 40EURO. It was pricey for them, and they ate the cost. Probably because they felt so bad about the 2 hour back and forth regarding the camera, probably because of the less than savory accommodations, and probably so that I would have a very interesting, and now funny story to tell about leaving my camera on Florence and somehow getting it back.

Thanks, Soggiorno Burchi. I recommend you for your kindness, if nothing else.

Honestly if you want a "true" Italian/Florence experience that will be surely etched in your memory, I recommend this place. If you want a purveyor that is nice enough to send your camera back to you free of charge after 2 hours of begging over the phone from Rome, then stay here. Yes. They are awesome for sending my camera back and I deem them average because of that.

Room Tip: Ask for heat
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MercedesAustin_TX
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We arrived there and were welcomed very nicely. The old couple who run this place are very kind but unfortunately I will have to point out some bad sides.

The room is ok, but the AC that is listed is actually a small ventilator. The windows have nets for mosquitos but they are thorn and not helpful. The room we stayed in was supposed to be quite, but the man who is, I think the owner, is so loud in the morning that you can not sleep at all. The internet DID NOT WORK, so we had to go to a nearby hostel.
And, it's bed and breakfast but you pay for breakfast and have to say in advance that you intend to have one.

Good sides: The location is excellent, everything is near. Even the laundry place is in the same street as well as bars, cafes, small shops, market... We came by car and they provided free parking which was VERY helpful, since the parking in Italy is very expensive.

Room Tip: we were in a room no 4, overlooking the garden, not the street.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple