“Great stay.”

Ranked #237 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Querétaro, Queretaro de Arteaga, Mexico
“Great stay.”
Reviewed 9 July 2013

Perhaps our perception was biased because of how much we loved Florence, but we liked this hotel.

ADVICE:
To get to the hotel: Get a map in advance (or at the tourist office in fron of the Santa Maria Novella train station) and mark Piazza Aldobrandini, just next to the Museum of the Medici Chapel.
The building is reviewed here: http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palazzo_Aldobrandini
In florence:
1. Always ASK the price before even touching anything, nodding or sitting in a restaurant.
2. Make reservations in advance for places such as the Gallery of the uffici.
3. Omit most museums except for the gallery of the uffici, palazzo vecchio; save your euros/energy for other places like ponte vecchio Il Duomo.

Hotel Aldobrandini provides a good, budget-friendly option to travelers planning a short stay in Florence. It is housed in the third floor of a building in front of piazza aldobrandini, which creates a great atmosphere, it is halfway between the SMN train station and Il Duomo which is very convenient. The place is somewhat old and crowded (our room evidently did not have a bathroom originally and you could notice the very small bathroom had been recently built) Staff are most of the time friendly, but look tired and unwilling to do much. You can get maps and tourist advice at the front desk.

The breakfast is made by the front desk staff and coffee is not that good.

For Florence, price-quality wise, we were satisfied.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank agrsz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
  • Turkish first
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 8 July 2013

This hotel is truly ideally situated close to everything that you want to see in Florence, the hotels entrance is amazing loved it. We paid a bargain price for location, the hotel was clean and breakfast sufficient , slept well considering we were in the heart of it all, our host was very friendly and most accommodating so if your looking for a couple of nights this is a budget stay and great location.......this the place .

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Helen D
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

This is NOT a three stars hotel, it's a great budget hotel with all the tiny little problems that come with it, but the difference is that the people here are incredibly kind and helpful, that's what I want when I go to budget accomodations and that makes all the difference...
The rooms are great for the price and the breakfast included is more than welcome.

• Stayed June 2013
1 Thank Ben C
Newark, Delaware
Reviewed 10 June 2013

The hotel certainly has a bargain price for downtown Florence, minutes from the SMN train station and bus station and the Duomo square. I second the reviewers who said take a print out of the door so you can recognize it. It is located in the plaza with the Medici Chapel. Currently it is near a set of recycling containers and a 1 Euro store. You press a button and the staff open the door and interior gate for you. The daytime person at the front desk was consistantly very friendly and helpful, giving excellent recommendations on restaurants and local services. Upstairs is accessed by a spiral staircase that shakes as you walk up - definitely not recommended if you have a lot of luggage.

Although I didn't expect luxury from a one-star hotel, I was disappointed with the stay. The entire hotel is very run down. The "private bathroom" had hair on the seat - either poorly cleaned or used by other guests, and the toilet was basically falling apart. None of the drains in the sinks either in the room or bathroom functioned. You'd have to pull up on the cover and hold it until the water drained. The bathroom's soap and paper towel dispensers were empty the entire stay. I did not use the closet because it absolutely reeked when open - not a normal musky odor from older furniture but almost like something died in there. Sleep quality was very poor. You could hear everything in the rest of the hotel- from a TV on at midnight, to guests slamming doors and moving about at 6:30am. The last night of my stay, I was awakened by a loud crashing sound at about 5:30am. Since I was awake now, I went to use the bathroom. I was floored when the front desk clerk knocked on the door and told me I had closed the door to my room too loudly and was disturbing the other guests. The only reason I was awake in the first place was the horrible noise in the hotel, which continued briefly afterward - no idea where it was coming from. Breakfast was the poorest I experienced at a hotel in Italy - one or two rolls with jam, one or two croissants, coffee, and a small glass of orange juice. I would not stay at this hotel again.

2 Thank Doubutsu

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Dublin
Reviewed 8 May 2013

After reading the other reviews I am happy to say I did not come across any sullen smoking sisters in this hotel> I had a very pleasant experience the staff were very helpful and friendly (always a plus when you are a solo traveller) Room was fine I had an ensuite shower room it wasn't enormous but for the time I spent in it was perfectably acceptable. Word of warning take note of thepicture of the front of the hotel so you know what you are looking for when you arrive.. like previous travellers I was slighly perplexed for a few minutes when I couldnt find the entrance but then felt slightly foolish when I did find it. Great 24/7 security no chance of having unwanted guests wandering around. Breakfast was a delicious continental style affair. Its a GREAT location you just come out and you are in the midst of everything. Loved it would definately return.

Room Tip: Ask for an ensuite and upstairs
4 Thank Linda H
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 3 May 2013

This hotel is in a fabulous location. A couple of minute walk to the Duomo, Mercato Central and the S.M.N train station.
The room that I had was on the same floor as the check- in desk, but I do know they also have rooms upstairs. If you are booking here, I would recommend asking for a room upstairs. I was after a cheap room with a good location, which is exactly what I got here, but next time I would pay a little extra for the better room or find a room in one of the many hostels in Florence. The room did not have a toilet, but did have a shower (warm water, which I appreciated). The room was miserably hot at night which I hadn't expected as it was not a hot day, so when I could not sleep at 3 am due to being so uncomfortable, I opened the window to let a breeze in. This did help me sleep, but I woke up with 10 mosquito bites- I wish that were an exaggeration. Front desk was very friendly.
Bottom line: ask for a room upstairs, find another spot or if you are in for a truly budget stay and don't mind the room being a little less than clean- this is fine.

Palm Bay, Florida
Reviewed 3 January 2013

I personally greatly enjoyed my stay at this hotel. For 50 euros a night (plus local tax) this is a great bargain in the middle of Florence. I would liken it to staying at a Days Inn, which I stay at one quite often, but if you do not like Days Inns, I would not recommend this hotel. Here are some details: this hotel is a short walk from the SMN train station. It took my husband and I less than 10 minutes. There is an elevator up to the hotel, which is on the second floor. The owner of the hotel is extremely kind and helpful. He made reservations for us at the Uffizi Gallery and the Accademia several months in advance. Once we got there, he also recommended a restaurant to us that we loved (Trattoria Palle d'Oro, ask him for directions and then get the tourist menu. We loved it!). The hotel was very clean. I thought breakfast (included) was delicious. We had yummy croissants with chocolate Nutella, rolls, orange juice, and hot chocolate. He also had coffee and tea. There is free wifi which we used with no problems. It was a fast connection - we were even able to watch YouTube videos. There is a TV, but if you don't speak Italian it won't do you much good. The only English channel we found was 1980's music videos (and yes, we watched it!). Obviously this is not their fault, but I just wanted to warn you. We were a five minute walk to the Duomo and less than 15 minutes to every major sight in Florence.

Our room did not have a bathroom and it was not a big deal to us. We never had to wait for it for more than 5 minutes.

Now, I do want to mention a couple of things. First - the owner and/or his sister smoke. I never actually saw them doing it, but the smell was in the lobby and hallways. My room did not smell like smoke. Second, his sister is not particularly nice. If you meet her first, do not despair, as he is much nicer. Third, there was a hole in our sheet and a couple cigarette stains on the top cover of the bed. Again, these things do not bother me and you would see this at a Days Inn, but I just want to make sure you know what you are getting into.

All in all, I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to young couple and backpackers. If you are older or a family, I hope this review helps you make an educated decision as to whether or not this hotel is right for you. I would absolutely stay here again, but I do not think it is right for everyone.

Room Tip: I was in room #4 and it was very close to the breakfast room and breakfast starts at 8 a.m. If you p...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple