“Dangerous hotel! Bedbugs! CIMICES!”
Review of Patrizia Hotel

Patrizia Hotel
Ranked #385 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Moscow
“Dangerous hotel! Bedbugs! CIMICES!”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

After the night in this hotel whole my body was bitten by bed bugs, some of them I had seen in the morning on the bed and I crushed them by my finger. There was my blood! I was unable to prove anything to the owners because they said that I was bitten by mosquitoes! Beware of this hotel!
Among other disadvantages, hotel was very old inside and outside there are building works. Despite the hot weather, I really could not open the windows in the room due to a lot of dust and workers right outside the window. Moreover, their noise waked up me early in the morning.
This hotel is a real shame, and a source of infection!

Room Tip: Take care of yourself and choose another hotel for your stay!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Olga B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

August 2013. I booked a four night stay at this two star Hotel with Thomas Cook. I can't believe I didn't ask the agent to check the reviews on trip advisor because I had already browse it at room earlier. Anyway, I got home after booking and looked at the reviews and OMG I was so upset. I couldn't cancel as we were due to travel in 2 weeks. I just had to hope that the reviews were wrong. I was travelling with my teenage Son and I didn't mention my fears to him. But I was sick with worry.

After leaving Pisa Airport at mid day last Sunday we had four hours looking around the' Leaning Tower' area in temperatures of +95c so on our arrival at the Patrizia Hotel in Florence I was so happy to have a shower It worked :) and the hair-dryer was excellent. But there were no comfortable chairs or table in our room. The Hotel was a short walk from the Railway Station and even closer to the Bus Station. I didn't like all the scaffolding or the lift up to the third floor but it was what I expected.

But of course as the days wore on it became clear that the Hotel was grim.

The whole Hotel was entombed by the afore mentioned scaffolding which was covered in a sort of mesh which was virtually impossible to see out of. My first thoughts were - would we be cooked inside or would the mesh provide a sort of barrier against the heat of the sun !! As it turned out I hardly slept the first night because it was so hot in our room. Fortunately we were able to acquire a fan from the lady in reception which helped a bit. I should point out here that the staff were lovely and someone on or near reception 24 hours a day.

There was no balcony (we didn't expect one) but all the same it would have been nice to have looked out at people walking by etc. We were in room 4 which had four single beds.
One bed which wasn't made up but was covered was pushed lengthways up against a grotty cupboard which supported an old TV. We didn't even bother to try and switch it on (no remote) because it was our intention to spend as little time in the room as possible. After 3 days I spotted a tiny message stuck (at about waist height) on the reception door stating that due to the scaffolding, the satellite signal for the TV didn't work. No one was told of this on arrival. Why not? when it was a service they weren't providing.

We didn't see any work men on the scaffolding while we were there which is just as well because our window wouldn't close and we had to use a thin chain to hook around the handles of the window to keep them shut (but not locked!) I carried all our money and passports with me. We weren't offered the use of a safe and I didn't ask. (no problem with pick pockets in case you are worried)

The shower could have done with a spray of bleach but it sounds as if ours was one of the better ones.

The two wardrobes and cupboards were chipped and very old. The paintwork and walls were marked and grubby. After reading the reviews beforehand, I packed Dettol disinfectant wipes so I wiped the surfaces down. It wasn't that dirty really but it looked it. Normally I would have asked to be moved but I knew there was no point. The bedding was spotlessly clean as were the towels which were changed twice during our stay. We had two shampoo sachets replaced once. So I would advise you take your own shampoo and shower gel. There were two small soaps.

Breakfast was fine by me. It was what you would expect in Italy. Fresh rolls which were lovely. Butter and a choice of different jams and chocolate spread. And a little chocolate slice (cake). also one of those cheese slices wrapped in film. Delicious coffee that I couldn't get enough of. My Son loved the juice. I wasn't keen on the cornflakes as I like a good quality brand but my Son was quite happy to have a bowl of cereal every morning. Don't expect a cooked breakfast. It rarely happens in France or Italy in my experience. Especially 2 star. Breakfast served 7am -9am.

If you are looking for a Hotel in the centre of Florence there are many to choose from. In hind sight some of the three star hotels I discounted weren't that far from the centre they just looked it on the map. How I envied people walking in to their nice hotels. But what's done is done. All in all we had a good holiday. I have stayed in worse places in Lanzarote than here. It's just a shame about the scaffolding because the location is brilliant.

A tip. If you don't want to go the the station(s) turn right from Hotel and walk a few yards towards the river bank. It's a lovely stroll along there and all side roads (obviously on the left) lead to the centre. We would turn off the river bank road at the Bridges to avoid getting lost in the maze of alley ways. One woman at the hotel said she didn't like the long walk to the centre but we realised she was always going via the railway station.

Another tip. Consider buying a ticket on the 'hop on hop off' bus. A ticket valid for one day costs 20 euros per person and you can see so much of the area. There are three routes you can hop on and off (mix them up). There are also tickets valid for 3 days. We bought our ticket from the Tour Office at the entrance to the bus station. (note: entrance, not inside) The Tourist Information Centre is a different place and is situated opposite the Railway Station at the side of the roundabout.

Room Tip: Not sure about the other rooms but ours was Room 4. It looked out on the main entrance to the Hotel...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Baarn, The Netherlands
Reviewed 24 July 2013

On arrival I was checked in by a very kind lady who also spoke english. She provided me with a map of Florence and some advice on the city. I found the staff of the Patrizia hotel very friendly and helpful. However, what you read on tripadvisor is true. The hotel is in a bad state and there is scaffolding everywhere and there are no views from the windows. Tv and hairdryer both broken. No table in the room. Wifi not always working. And it can get very hot in the room and no airconditioning. Room was small and spartan. But what do you expect for 40 euro a night? The location is perfect, not far from the railwaystation and the main attractions. Mind you that the hotel is on the 3rd floor of the building. There is just one very small escalator.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Thank A.Brouwer
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 June 2013

I recently went on a university trip to Florence and stopped at this hotel, and having read the previous reviews we didn't expect it to be fantastic, but were shocked when we got there. The whole building was covered in scaffolding, we walked up around six flights of stairs in a building that was completely stripped and arrived at the hotel only to encounter more stairs and an unpleasant smell. We then entered our room, which was just about bareable since we only slept there after a long day of walking, but was quite frankly horrendous. The bed sheets were damp, there were marks all over the walls, I doubt if it has been decorated since the 1930s, the bathroom door did not fit properly and had to be banged shut and yanked open, the shower head was black, the tiles were dirty, we had a really awkward shower room, and the window of the bathroom opened up to yet more scaffolfing with a platform and set of ladders as if someone could be there! The staff were rude, and the breakfast was awful; very little choice and not fresh at all. I did not expect luxury for what we paid but this was really unacceptable. I honestly cannot understand how they are open under the title 'hotel'. I'm not sure I would even call it a hostel. It's not often I come on trip advisor to complain, but this hotel really was ridiculous!

Room Tip: Avoid at all costs. There are many other hotels in the city for the same or similar prices which are...
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 June 2013

I have just returned from a 4 night stay at the Patrizia hotel after visiting Florence on a university trip. After reading previous reviews i wasn't expecting much, however upon arrival the hotel was 10x worse than expected! Each room is supposed to come equipped with a hairdryer, TV and central heating - this wasn't the case and none of these were provided.

Included in the price is supposed to be a continental breakfast, which at this hotel is classed as a measly bread roll, a chocolate cake and cornflakes with look awful. Some of my group only went to breakfast once as it was that poor we couldn't justify wasting our time, and ended up grabbing something whilst we were out - meaning we were paying for breakfast twice. Also breakfast is only served between 7:30 - 8:00am.

As for the rooms itself, the bathroom and room were awful, plaster coming off the walls, tiny bathroom, and the shutters over the windows couldn't be kept open meaning it could get quite stuffy and hot in the rooms during the day.

The outside of the hotel was covered in scaffolding, and on several occasions we heard builders walking outside our room. Not very nice considering we get changed in the room.

No-one in our group was happy with the room, hotel or the service and everyone was considerably disappointed with it all. One member of our group even had to complain and insist to be moved to a different room as the shower in the room was right at the end of bed meaning her whole bed got soaked every time the shower was used.

This was an awful hotel, and in a way made the holiday less enjoyable. Even though we weren't in the hotel much, for the money we paid, we expected service to a slightly better standard.

There are plenty of nice hotels in Florence and i would definitely not recommend this hotel to anyone! Not very wheelchair friendly either as had to go up 3 flights of stairs to get to hotel reception, down a set of stairs to the breakfast room and also up another set of stairs to get to some bedrooms.

The location was the only positive thing about the hotel as it was close the the river meaning it was only a short distance from all the attractions. Nevertheless, just around the corner were much nicer looking hotels.

1 Thank s-2425
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Many of the services advertised on the hotels website were not as described. Each room is said to be equipped with central heating, a TV, a hairdryer and a 'private bathroom (with shower)'. The room which I satyed in did not have central heating, a TV or a hairdryer. However did have private bathroom. Unlike someone else within my party at the hotel who only had a shower at the end of their bed and had to use the toilet at the end of the hall. The website also states that there are 'Rooms with view and rooms for disabled avaliable on request.' At the time I stayed scaffolding surrounded the building and this was all that could be seen from any window. However more importantly I would never recommend this hotel to anyone with walking dsiabilities. The building that the hotel is located at is accessed up a set of steps and then a further three floors (six sets of stairs, three landings) up to the hotel. There is a small narrow lift that can be used, although this can only hold two people. The hotels breakfast room is then down a set of stairs once inside the building. The breakfast is also incorrectly discribed as a 'Continental Breakfast'. Avaliable between 7.30am - 8am, the breakfast was a bread roll, a small cake filled with chocolate and cornflakes in a tub, that I believe have been there quite a while. Overall I was not happy, however due to the small amount of time spent in the hotel, it was bearable.

Room Tip: Rooms in other hotels are better.
2 Thank Stayer_220
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

This is an economical option and the location is great- just one street away from the River Arno in Florence. The rooms are clean and basic, and that is fine, but it's the broken items that I didn't like. All the TVs don't work, most hairdryers are completely broken, and lots of general maintenance is required. The staff are helpful and friendly and the main manager speaks great English. The breakfast is very simple but the bread rolls are fresh and it's all adequate. It's good that the place has wi-fi but I found that it was erratic. The place seems busy and the turnover must be good, so if they sort out the broken items then it could be good.

Room Tip: Rooms on the right side have very good views. Bring your own ear plugs!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business