“AVOID !!!”

Ranked #395 of 421 Hotels in Florence
London, United Kingdom
“AVOID !!!”
Reviewed 28 December 2013

Although this is two star hotel, the service and facilities are horrible. If you wanna save some money, go to a hostel which is even nicer than here. I guess this is family run hotel. When I arrived, an elderly lady (mother) greeted me but she nearly could not speak English and hardly answered my questions. The room was horrific, it was like staying in a mental ward....cold and lifeless. The heater was doing nothing and not strong enough to warm up the whole room. The blanket was just a thin sheet so it got cold at night. The internet was rubbish and I continuously lost internet access not signal. I asked the guy (son) to turn the router off and on again but he felt it was my (computer's) problem and refused my requests. The breakfast, I should not have expected anything good after a series of awful things, was only a piece of cake, a slice of cheese, some bread plus a cup of instant coffee. I booked the room for 2 nights and only stayed the first night then decided to find myself another hotel. I highly NOT recommended this hotel and other negative reviews are holy true, so please AVOID this hotel if you can !!!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank queenascl

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Reviewed 24 November 2013

When we stayed here the entire building was being renovated, so our windows were entirely blocked by scaffolding. It wouldn’t have been such an issue, if it weren’t for the fact that the room was so stuffy and muggy that we really needed access to a completely open window in order to air it out. There is a lot of potential with this hotel, but unfortunately it is not being met due to its poor upkeep.
The location is fabulous, especially for its price. There are plenty of places to eat just around the corner and the main center of tourism in Florence is only about a 10-minute walk from the front door. The rooms are of a pretty decent size, especially compared to some of the other places I have stayed in Europe. My particular room had three beds but didn’t feel too over-crowded. It is not spacious, by any means, but it was comfortable in its arrangement. The managers/owners are the sweetest older couple you will ever meet, so it breaks my heart to have to advise that you stay away from their hotel until some major changes are made.
The biggest problem I had in my room was the mold. There was a huge chuck of it in the corner, right above my bed. One night I woke up with the worst fit of coughing I have ever had. It took a good fifteen minutes and lots of water to finally stop the attack. My roommates and I moved my bed away from that particular corner and I didn’t have any problems the rest of the night, but we are all fairly sure I had inhaled some of the mold spores or something. The room also had a very distinct and unpleasant smell, which we think originated from the cabinet where extra blankets were being stored. We were too scared to move the blankets to find out if they really were the source…
Again, the staff is super nice, the breakfast is pretty good (the staff actually serves you, which is kind of unique) but a bit light (especially by American-standards), and the location is prime. However, the major over-sites in the cleanliness of the rooms is a big concern and families, particularly with young children or older grandparents, should really be cautious. Young, healthy college students on a tight budget would be fine to stay here…but don’t expect much…and spend most of your time out in Florence exploring, instead of staying cooped up in any of those rooms!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank alley_cat00

Travellers are raving about these Florence hotels

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 1 November 2013

I have to laugh about this hotel and the other reviews about it.
i can also laugh about it now but at the time it was a horrible experience.

the building is being renovated (only on the outside), so the windows are blocked out with scaffolding or tarp.
When i arrived i was greeted by an elderly couple who were nice and friendly but dare i say resembled someone out of a horror film.
its a very old hotel and has not been updated since the 1960's and incredibly overpriced!!

The room was horrific, it was like staying in a mental ward....cold, lifeless, very uncomfortable bed and smelt so bad that i could not breath. There was some sort of chemical smell in the room that took my breath away.
when i went to reception to complain they told me that they could not do anything about it because the hotel was booked out. (fair enough)

we called the manager who had gone home. when i spoke to him he whinged at me that i had interrupted his dinner. i told him the situation and he said that id either have to sleep there the night until a room became available the next day or find myself another hotel....this was at 10pm.
The manager offered to only charge me for one of the two nights i was there, which i accepted off-course.

i had no choice but to stay there the night until another room became available the next day.
the lovely old lady at reception acknowledged that bad smell in the room so had grabbed a bottle of incense oil and sprinkled it all over the room. including on the pillows and bed.

the next day i was put into another room that didn't smell as much and was able to breathe in.

The breakfast consisted of watered down instant coffee, a chocolate bar, a slice of plastic cheese and some bread.

For the price of this hotel, it was a major rip off. But you cannot find anything cheaper in Florence.
i cant believe hotels like this can operate. Sorry to say but this is the worst hotel in HISTORY!!

Room Tip: avoid unless its the only hotel available in florence
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Manila, Philippines
Reviewed 7 October 2013 via mobile

What has been written is true - scaffolding in front, building under construction, open electrical sockets, erratic wifi, no tv due to building under construction. We missed this hotel because we thought it was a construction site! The elevators were not working on the first day, luckily it was fixed the next day. Plus side was the room is very big and bathroom has good water pressure. That being said, the place grows on you. It's like staying in your friends house. The room provided a fan but it was cold so we werent able to use it. The blanket was just a thin sheet so it got cold at night and we out on a sweater before sleeping. But surprisingly we did have a good night sleep with the area being quiet and the bed firm. The people working and the owner are nice. We left the place with a good feeling after 4 nights of stay. Do not expect hotel like ambiance (building under construction) but overall it was a good stay as it was cheap. If rooms and the place were renovated, prices would be higher because of its location.

• Stayed October 2013
Firenze, Italia
Reviewed 30 September 2013

The building was under renovation. This was not mentioned by the hotel of tripadvisor. The entrance was horrible, very dusty and abandoned. The elevator was miserable, but it worked. The hotel was in the third floor. The room was like a bad film. A number "7" was drawn on the door. The window was "out of service" because of the renovation, so we had to start the fan and kept it going the whole time to have circulation of air. The positive thing was that we only spendt one night there. The hotel staff was helpful and breakfast was ok.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hotell.no

Moscow
Reviewed 19 August 2013

After the night in this hotel whole my body was bitten by bed bugs, some of them I had seen in the morning on the bed and I crushed them by my finger. There was my blood! I was unable to prove anything to the owners because they said that I was bitten by mosquitoes! Beware of this hotel!
Among other disadvantages, hotel was very old inside and outside there are building works. Despite the hot weather, I really could not open the windows in the room due to a lot of dust and workers right outside the window. Moreover, their noise waked up me early in the morning.
This hotel is a real shame, and a source of infection!

Room Tip: Take care of yourself and choose another hotel for your stay!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Olga B
United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2013

August 2013. I booked a four night stay at this two star Hotel with Thomas Cook. I can't believe I didn't ask the agent to check the reviews on trip advisor because I had already browse it at room earlier. Anyway, I got home after booking and looked at the reviews and OMG I was so upset. I couldn't cancel as we were due to travel in 2 weeks. I just had to hope that the reviews were wrong. I was travelling with my teenage Son and I didn't mention my fears to him. But I was sick with worry.

After leaving Pisa Airport at mid day last Sunday we had four hours looking around the' Leaning Tower' area in temperatures of +95c so on our arrival at the Patrizia Hotel in Florence I was so happy to have a shower It worked :) and the hair-dryer was excellent. But there were no comfortable chairs or table in our room. The Hotel was a short walk from the Railway Station and even closer to the Bus Station. I didn't like all the scaffolding or the lift up to the third floor but it was what I expected.

But of course as the days wore on it became clear that the Hotel was grim.

The whole Hotel was entombed by the afore mentioned scaffolding which was covered in a sort of mesh which was virtually impossible to see out of. My first thoughts were - would we be cooked inside or would the mesh provide a sort of barrier against the heat of the sun !! As it turned out I hardly slept the first night because it was so hot in our room. Fortunately we were able to acquire a fan from the lady in reception which helped a bit. I should point out here that the staff were lovely and someone on or near reception 24 hours a day.

There was no balcony (we didn't expect one) but all the same it would have been nice to have looked out at people walking by etc. We were in room 4 which had four single beds.
One bed which wasn't made up but was covered was pushed lengthways up against a grotty cupboard which supported an old TV. We didn't even bother to try and switch it on (no remote) because it was our intention to spend as little time in the room as possible. After 3 days I spotted a tiny message stuck (at about waist height) on the reception door stating that due to the scaffolding, the satellite signal for the TV didn't work. No one was told of this on arrival. Why not? when it was a service they weren't providing.

We didn't see any work men on the scaffolding while we were there which is just as well because our window wouldn't close and we had to use a thin chain to hook around the handles of the window to keep them shut (but not locked!) I carried all our money and passports with me. We weren't offered the use of a safe and I didn't ask. (no problem with pick pockets in case you are worried)

The shower could have done with a spray of bleach but it sounds as if ours was one of the better ones.

The two wardrobes and cupboards were chipped and very old. The paintwork and walls were marked and grubby. After reading the reviews beforehand, I packed Dettol disinfectant wipes so I wiped the surfaces down. It wasn't that dirty really but it looked it. Normally I would have asked to be moved but I knew there was no point. The bedding was spotlessly clean as were the towels which were changed twice during our stay. We had two shampoo sachets replaced once. So I would advise you take your own shampoo and shower gel. There were two small soaps.

Breakfast was fine by me. It was what you would expect in Italy. Fresh rolls which were lovely. Butter and a choice of different jams and chocolate spread. And a little chocolate slice (cake). also one of those cheese slices wrapped in film. Delicious coffee that I couldn't get enough of. My Son loved the juice. I wasn't keen on the cornflakes as I like a good quality brand but my Son was quite happy to have a bowl of cereal every morning. Don't expect a cooked breakfast. It rarely happens in France or Italy in my experience. Especially 2 star. Breakfast served 7am -9am.

If you are looking for a Hotel in the centre of Florence there are many to choose from. In hind sight some of the three star hotels I discounted weren't that far from the centre they just looked it on the map. How I envied people walking in to their nice hotels. But what's done is done. All in all we had a good holiday. I have stayed in worse places in Lanzarote than here. It's just a shame about the scaffolding because the location is brilliant.

A tip. If you don't want to go the the station(s) turn right from Hotel and walk a few yards towards the river bank. It's a lovely stroll along there and all side roads (obviously on the left) lead to the centre. We would turn off the river bank road at the Bridges to avoid getting lost in the maze of alley ways. One woman at the hotel said she didn't like the long walk to the centre but we realised she was always going via the railway station.

Another tip. Consider buying a ticket on the 'hop on hop off' bus. A ticket valid for one day costs 20 euros per person and you can see so much of the area. There are three routes you can hop on and off (mix them up). There are also tickets valid for 3 days. We bought our ticket from the Tour Office at the entrance to the bus station. (note: entrance, not inside) The Tourist Information Centre is a different place and is situated opposite the Railway Station at the side of the roundabout.

Room Tip: Not sure about the other rooms but ours was Room 4. It looked out on the main entrance to the Hotel...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family