“Excellent location, if you don't mind the stairs”

Tornabuoni La Petite Suite
Ranked #388 of 659 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

A few blocks from Duomo square, you can walk to pretty much all attractions in florence from this place. Everything you need is around this area - bakeries, restaurants, coin-op laundries, shops, buses, etc. The only minor issues was the 4 floor staircase we had to climb to get to the apartment, but if you have no issues with it than this is an excellent option. There were a total of 4 rooms for rent at this place, we stayed at one of the largest rooms, the one closest to the entrance. There was a bathtub and the room was oversized, in fact we probably only needed half of of its size to be comfortable. Air conditioning was good, tv was ok with a few english spoken channels, bed was good, shower good, no breakfast was included but the bakery next door was a good choice and inexpensive. I would recommend this place.

• Stayed: October 2012

Reviewed 16 July 2012

My husband and I traveled to Florence and booked this room for 4 nights. We enjoyed the large room which was seperated with a half way to make a sitting area, so it was very spacious. It also has a huge bathroom with a jacuzzi tub. The location of this room was GREAT! It was about 2 blocks from the Duomo and 2 blocks from the train station allowing us to walk everywhere! You do have to climb a lot of stair to get to the room, but we expected this and packed accordingly. The major downside was check-in. I was emailed a couple of days prior to arrival asking for a check in time. But we were traveling at a leisure pace, so I really did not know the time we would arrive and gave them a few hours window. Upon arrival, we were unable to get into the building and of course, it started raining. I was able to use the payphone across the street to get in touch the the owner and was eventually able to get in. However, our phone didn't work, we didn't know the internet code, and the TV didn't work. We didn't care about the TV because we did not travel to Florence to watch TV. But we did want to get online and contact the owner again. So my husband had to go out in the rain and use the payphone again. I made some suggestions to the owner when I finally saw her on the day before we left, like leave contact information and the internet code in the room, etc. She took care of it by the day we left- apparently she had just bought the property so she was learning. With all that said, my husband and I agree that we would stay here again. It was clean and spacious and you can't beat the location. But now we know how to handle the arrival situation better. When they email you about check-in, just ask for the code to get in!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Sarah L
Reviewed 24 May 2011

My husband & I stayed at Tornabuoni La Petite Suite for 2 nights. The suite was located at the top of 100 stairs with no elevator, so it was difficult to carry luggage up & down. We were warned about the check-in, but didn't realize the lady was just there to check us in, leave worn out towels, and run our credit card. We never saw any staff member again.

On the positive side, it was nice to have our own suite located on one of the best shopping streets in the center of Florence.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank K8travel927
Reviewed 31 December 2010

The woman emailed a few days in advance of our arrival asking what time we were going to check in, so we gave her a one hour window. When we left Rome for Florence there were 2 trains leaving at the exact same time, and we accidentally got on the one that took 4 hours rather than 1 1/2, so we obviously arrived late. When we got to the hotel there was no one there. I didn't want to use my cell phone because it's outrageously expensive, but I had no other choice because it was the only way to get someone there. They said they would be there in 15 minutes, but we had to wait for half an hour. When the woman showed up she chewed us not for not being there to check in when we said we would, and she was very upset that she had waited for 2 hours earlier in the day. I tried to explain that we caught the wrong train, but she was so rude she wouldn't even listen. This was extremely disappointing because who knows exactly what time they're going to arrive at a hotel, especially in a different country. Things happen!

We hauled our luggage up 100 steps (yes, we counted), and she showed us to our room. It wasn't the nice room advertised online, even though there was no one else staying there, so I don't know what you have to do to get that room (I guess you have to show up on time). There were no towels and we had to dry off with ratty old robes. The safe didn't work. There was a lot of outside noise in the morning.

Overall, not a good experience. If I wouldn't have had a cell phone I don't think we ever would've gotten checked in!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Lov_2_travel_10
Reviewed 8 December 2010

Definition: A Suite in a hotel or other public accommodation denotes a class of luxury accommodations. Suites offer multiple rooms, with more space and furniture than a standard hotel room. In addition to one or more beds, a suite will include a living or sitting room, usually with a couch that converts into a bed.
The “La Petite Suites” and amenities did not come close to how they were advertised and the owner does not provide the basics of hospitality. The two suites are furnished with the very basics – a chair, loveseat, small table and bedside tables in the larger suite. The smaller of our 2 “suites” had a double bed, chair and a tiny desk. This “suite” had one small window and about 90 square feet of space. We were not advised of the differences in the “suites” and we paid the same rate for both.

Problems: Shower-in the small “suite” has an electric glitch that trips the breaker and all electric power is lost in “suite.” There was not a tub. It took 2 days for an “assistant” to come and repair the shower and restore power in the “Suite”. The shower temperature was raised to the maximum by the “assistant” and was near scalding and could not be changed.

Service: The orientation to the property was brief and insufficient. The first 3 days there was no trash removal and the linen and towels were never refreshed.

The advertised Computer is broken.
The advertised Safes do not work.
Toilet in one “suite” is almost impossible to flush.
Breakfast is not available at the Café on Sunday.
NOISE from other “suites” is extremely loud.

Reality:

The “Suites” are advertised as 3rd floor units. The reality is that the “Suites” are located on the 5th floor, up 96 steps, which equals 7 flights of stairs.

In reality, none of us wanted to spend our holiday trying to reach the secretary, the assistant or waiting for the owner to call. The owner never did call. We have been traveling to Italy for 20 years and have never had an experience like this.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with friends
2  Thank Jeanne B
Reviewed 28 August 2009

Luxury at good price in front of Duomo,in Tornabuoni street!In the most famous street in Florence!
Painting on the top, jacuzzi, really big bedroom and internet, calls and frigobar icluded.
price was great!
You are free to do everything you want,like at home!GREAT STAY!

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 May 2008

We enjoyed our 2 night stay at La Petite Suite, though we booked a very small double room (at a reduced rate through Accomline, about £67 per night) rather than one of their palatial looking suites. When we were checking out the rooms were being cleaned so we were able to take a look at the 2 suites and they were huge and beautifully furnished – the bathroom alone was probably as big as our room. Though our room was compact it was very cosy with a large comfortable bed which was the only one out of 5 hotels we stayed in not to be 2 singles pushed together and my 6ft + boyfriend was pleased to have a bed that accommodated his height for a change. The down side of this room was that it has only a small window with no view but this didn’t really bother us as we were there to sleep rather than look out the window. It had everything you would need: wardrobe, drawers, desk, safe, large wall mirror, tv, fridge with a few complimentary soft drinks and even a DVD player with a few DVDs. I took a few photos of the room and when looking at their website yesterday I saw that mine are similar theirs (it is the double same room as featured on the website) – a good thing I think as so often the nice photos on hotel websites can lead to disappointment when you see that your room doesn’t look nearly as good in reality. The bathroom was great, a good size and nicely decorated with a crazy shower that featured variable spray settings, a radio and steam room facility – which of course we had to try out just because it was there!

The location of La Petite Suite was ideal, close to the rail station and a few blocks from the Duomo – it was nice to stay somewhere so central for such a reasonable price. I am confused as to why it only has a 1 star rating as it is furnished to a much higher standard but perhaps that’s because it is not a 24 hour serviced hotel. I think they only have 4 rooms and you arrange your check time with Simona in advance so someone is there to greet you, she will help you with any information you need and leave you numbers to call her should you need anything during your stay. Note that it is on the 4th floor with no lift but at least the stairs are stone, wide and shallow - I had been envisioning steep and narrow so it wasn’t as bad as I thought it might be, we didn’t really have any problem with that but did take them quite slowly after a full day of walking around sightseeing.

We enjoyed breakfast in the café next door, you just tell mention Simona & La Petite Suite to them and choose a pastry and coffee. If we return to Florence I would definitely try to stay here again but I’d pay the extra for a suite as they looked fantastic (they have deal on their website for stays of at least 3 nights). Though our small room was ideal for a few days, it is perhaps a bit small if you were going to be staying longer than that, but that said, as we hadn’t been able to get a third night there we moved to the Kursaal & Ausonia hotel for our last night and looking around at the larger room it just seemed lacking somehow and we wanted to go back to our cosy little room at La Petite Suite.

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple