“Can't get any more central!”

Il Salotto di Firenze
Ranked #65 of 657 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 November 2012

My husband and I stayed here for the last two nights of our three week trip to Italy. This B&B is in the perfect location to base your stay in Florence. Literally steps away is the Duomo, cafes, restaurants, and a quick walk to the Uffizi and Accademia Galleries. Getting to the B&B from the train station is walkable, but I would recommend taking a taxi if you have heavier luggage. The narrower sidewalks get extremely crowded with tourists because the location is so very central.

As is common with Italian B&Bs, we had to notify reception of our intended arrival time. We got there a bit early, so we checked in, left our bags in the room while it was being made up, and went to lunch.

Our room was very nice, clean, and pleasantly quiet. Our window looked over the busy, bustling sidewalks and despite this, we heard almost no street noise. I really wanted to love the bed, but my side of the mattress had a dip in it that made my back ache a bit. My husband's side was fine though. Maybe time to rotate it?

The bathroom was well-lit and roomy. The shower was another thing I would rate top notch if it hadn't been for a slight mishap with the shower head. At some point, the ceramic fittings around the shower head had cracked and was being held together with scotch tape. When I turned it on, the water pressure caused the fitting to pop off, taking the shower head with it. Water sprayed everywhere, but I was able to shut it off before it made a real mess. I was able to screw the shower head back on sans the ceramic fitting, and finish my (albeit great) shower . I left the fitting on the sink thinking when the room was cleaned, it would be taking care of, but it was still there when we got back. Not a big deal, as it was mostly a decorative aspect that broke, not the actual shower.

The breakfast was typical of what we had come to expect from a B&B. We only got to eat there the first morning, as our flight home was very early the second morning. Our host was very kind and prepared a bag of goodies for us to take with us instead. This gesture was very much appreciated!

Would I stay here again? Definitely. The location couldn't be better, and the price was actually very reasonable.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

Our only problem was leaving after only three nights. Wish I'd had three more. Thank you Alessandro for your hospitality and generosity. Such a lovely apartment on the first floor, with gorgeous furnishings, so clean, plenty of space and the location - next to Gucci, 12 paces from the Duomo corner and we could see the Duomo tower from our window (just)!!! There was a bit of chat in the laneway behind (ambulance/fire employees) but closing the windows and shutters cut it out. The breakfast room is excellent, also with great coffee and cakes and sweets available 24/7 if you get back from sightseeing and need an afternoon pick-me-up. I don't want Alessandro running around after all his visitors, but if you just mention something about a venue or a bus he's offering to help find out or print something for you. Such a very courteous and cheerful guy. You won't regret staying here but I'm already regretting such a short stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2012

The room in which we stayed was wonderful. It was very large and well-furnished. The bathroom was modern and worked well. We had a room that overlooked the street, which was wonderful. The streets were very crowded with pedestrians, but the windows blocked the street noise very well. The location is excellent, literally right around the corner from the Duomo and very close to all other tourist sites.

Guests have access to the kitchen at all hours, and light snacks, drinks, and coffee are available there at all times. The breakfast was essentially a continental breakfast but was nice enough.

The hosts that we met there were very friendly. We were also given a complementary Eyewitness Travel Guide guidebook for Florence on arrival, which was great, as it has many pictures as well as explanatory text.

The reception desk is only staffed during limited hours. On the day we arrived, the B&B had emailed us in advance to let us know that the reception desk would only be available until 3:30pm. We missed our earlier train and arrived at the Florence train station at 3pm, so we were rather stressed that we would miss the reception time. (I assume if we had missed it, then we might have had to stay elsewhere, but fortunately we made it there before 3:30pm.) So arriving late at the hotel does not seem to be an option. The staff provided us with keys to the hotel, so we were able to get in and out readily after we checked in.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the street.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2012

My husband and I stayed at Il Salotto di Firenze for 3 nights last month and were completely in love with this B&B. We were greeted by an energetic employee, Guido, who checked us in quickly and made arrangements for our room to be cleaned next so we could get settled. While we waited for our room to be finished, Guido showed us around the kitchen, taught us how to use the espresso machine and made each of us an espresso. Such a welcoming atmosphere!

Once we were allowed into our room, Guido showed us the book that is in each room for guests; the book lists restaurant recommendations, local supermarkets, different bars and an assortment of things to do. This was such a huge help for us during our stay! We would come back to the room just to check out restaurant recommendations provided in the book. The room was huge and the bathroom was updated with modern fixtures. The breakfast provided every morning was fairly standard except for the pasqualini; these flaky pastries were filled with cheese or meat and were delicious when put in the toaster oven. Alessandro would greet his guests every morning and make an espresso or cappuccino, per their request. He was such a friendly, gracious and helpful host. His English is perfect, so there were never any communication barriers when conversing. Il Salotto di Firenze was our favorite place we stayed in Italy. Without a doubt, we will stay here again during our next trip to Firenze! Thanks to Alessandro and Guido for a fabulous experience!

2  Thank DiscodivaAng
Reviewed 7 October 2012

Everything about this place is absolutely perfect.

Its location can't be any better, less than a minute from the Duomo and within comfortable walking distance to other attractions like Piazza della Signoria, the Academia & the Uffizi Gallery.

Alessandro is warm, charming & extremely helpful host with recommendations for places to visit/ eat at as well as reservations for tours & galleries. It is evident that he has set up his B&B service with a lot of thought for his guests. There is a folder in each room containing answers to all kinds of questions one could have. We were also given a complementary guidebook for Florence on arrival.

The B&B itself is beautiful with very comfortable rooms and a 24h pantry stocked with crackers, juices, cheese, yoghurts, tea & coffee. Breakfast is plentiful as well.

I would pick this place again in a heartbeat. Thank you Alessandro for making our stay so fantastic!

Reviewed 2 October 2012

In many trips I did around the world in more than 15 years, this is the best accomodation I experienced ever. Everything is perfectly clean, the staff is infinitely kind and available to respond to any need, a fully furnitured kitchen open 24h allows guests to have free coffee, tea, snack whenever they want. Right in the very heart of Florence, this B&B is the best example of an excellent, outstanding acomodation without the need of going to a 5 stars or luxury hotel. VERY compfortable room, big bathroom, excellent breakfast....what else should I say? Yes: do NOT miss a visit to this B&B!!!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I was travelling alone, so I wanted a hotel with a good location to optimize my trip. This B&B is just a 10 minutes walking from train station and beside the Duomo. Good restaurants and many important touristic attractions are also very easy to get to. Paolo and Alessandro were amazing hosts, always helpful and ready to clear any doubt of mine. My room ( named Diego Martelli or something like that) had a single bed, a minibar (which was really nice in this hot summer) and enough space in the wardrobe. Everything new and clean. Really a good choice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo