“Two words: STAY HERE!”

Il Salotto di Firenze
Ranked #66 of 659 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Too bad there aren't more stars, I would give this absolutely wonderful B&B as many stars as possible! Staying here was a very special experience, and I would recommend it to anyone. Start with a superb location around the corner from the Duomo, and within an easy walk to anywhere in Florence you would want to go. Using a quirky yet oddly pleasing entry system in a building that couldn't possibly be your hotel, you enter a tastefully and elegantly designed oasis. The building dates to 1850, but the B&B was created within the last 10 years. Our room, right off the entry corridor, felt like an Italian villa, with high ceilings, a beautifully appointed (and large) bathroom, and giant windows we joyfully threw open onto the street each morning. The breakfast room was charming and the other four rooms were off the breakfast room. The B&B's very best asset on a long list of wonderful assets, however, was our host Alessandro. This charming and lovely man could not have been more gracious, helpful, attentive, or kind. He fixed my husband a cappuchino several times, offered to send me off with a pastry when we were heading out to sightsee, made recommendations that were excellent and exactly what we wanted, let me use the office computer when mine died, and was altogether the reason our stay was perfect. We hope he will call *us* when he comes to New York again!

My only word of caution...We asked for a room with a view, and as a result, the room was on the street. It was, as another reviewer noted, a little noisy. To us, street sounds are so much white noise, and it bothered us not at all. If you require silence, inquire about other rooms.

I would stay here again in a heartbeat, and thank Alessandro for his work creating the B&B several years ago, and his gracious hosting last week!

Room Tip: If you're concerned about street noise, ask for room in the back.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 May 2013

Hotel's location is great, it's on the Duomo Piazza.

But for sensitive people there's a lot of noise at night (if your room is on the street side)

For not sensitive people, there's a lot of noise early in the morning (because of the cleaning of the piazza)

My husband couldnt sleep at night and in the morning, I slept well at night but awake at 07,00 with the noise.

Rooms are not clean, it's really bad to sleep with a dirty blanket, altough the sheets are clean.

The breakfast is really poor, although our expectations were low. They have cream cheese, bread, and little nutellas.

Reception is not open all the time, they're available only half day and before our arrival they send an e-mail which says "I'll go to an appointment, if you arrive at this hours, please be patient.

Hotel is located at a flat of the building and you have to carry 5-6 keys with you to open teh gates and doors,etc.

It was not a good stay.

Room Tip: We had a balcony room, it was nice to sit and watch people, but it's very noise at night and esp...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank gunba
Reviewed 11 May 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 4 nights at the end of April along with my parents. We had the Giovanni Fattori room (with balcony), and my parents were in the Vicenzo Cabianco room, with the "single bed that can be used as a double bed." I think maybe the bed in that room could be called a "French bed" or a 3/4 bed, which is smaller than a double. They found the bed plenty big for them, and we were all very happy with our rooms, and with the B & B in general. The location is fantastic. It's quite lively outside on the street, and my husband and I really enjoyed sitting out on our balcony with a glass of wine after a long day sightseeing, watching the people below. One night there were some musicians playing on the street, but it was nice music and it ended by 11:00, so did not bother us at all. If you are very noise sensitive you may find the rooms facing the street too noisy, but I consider myself a pretty light sleeper and I had not problem at all. The double-glazed windows do a good job at keeping out the noise. We really have no complaints about this beautiful B & B, and would stay here again in a heartbeat. Alessandro and Marco were available whenever we needed them, and were extremely friendly and welcoming.

Room Tip: If you want to treat yourself, ask for the Giovanni Fattori room, with the balcony. It really is a s...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 26 March 2013

We very much enjoyed our time in Il Salotto. The Duomo is less than a block away. It was not even very loud despite the fact that we were on the second floor overlooking the main street. Also, breakfast in the morning was nice, they made us espresso and there were croissants. The rooms were pretty big, with very high ceilings. The bed was hard, but we slept well nevertheless. Really enjoyed the location because we could easily come in and out during the day.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 February 2013

Florence is the city of my dreams and this B&B did not disappoint. Loved the central location, just around the block from the Duomo. Loved our balcony view of the street where I could gaze down on the street and imagine myself actually living here.
The windows do cut out alot of the noise, the room we had was so very spacious and tastefully done.
It was nice for once to be able to just go back to our room when we were tired instead of slogging along because your hotel is far away.
Will definitely stay here again. Just know that you really need to check in with Alessandro the day before so that he will be there to greet you. We were able to get in by some Japanese tourists otherwise would have had to wait outside in the rain. My fault for not calling.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a balcony if they are available. We managed to find The Old Stove Pub and it'...
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2013

I stayed here with my husband in September 2012 after struggling to find decent accommodation in Florence that wasn't too expensive and in a good location. Il Salotto di Firenze was perfect. We would have preferred the room with the balcony overlooking Via Roma but the only room available was one facing the back courtyard. The room we had was small but the ones facing Via Roma (especially the one with the balcony) looked nice and roomy. On our second (and last) night in Florence, there was an amazing group of street performers out on Via Roma entertaining the crowd who even got up to dance. The visitors staying in the balcony room at Il Salotto di Firenze had the perfect view from the balcony, wine in hand. (The only negative thing was that they didn't pop downstairs to give any money or buy a CD.)

Alessandro was the perfect host, making sure we had everything we needed and even recommending his favourite restaurants and checking and printing train timetables for us.

Would definitely stay there again when we visit Florence again.

Room Tip: Ask for the balcony room - it is worth the money. Actually, don't. Save it for me.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jojostuff
Reviewed 4 January 2013

I stayed in Il Salotto di Firenze for 1 night only 1 day before the new year's eve and I'm confident to say that although it was for one night but it was definitely one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at, it's located just around the corner from the Piazza del Duomo which is also only a short walk from the central station, snacks and drinks are available in the kitchen at any time, an exceptional service from the staff especially from Marco who is really hospitable (he calls his guests with their names), free wifi, modern room and spotless clean bathroom! The single room which I stayed at is a little bit small but that's alright for a solo traveler I guess and sometimes you can hear the voice of people talking while you are in the room but that wasn't an issue at all. It was a perfect stay and I simply felt like home! Will I stay there if I visit Florence again? for sure yes! Do I recommend it? No doubt! It is an excellent place to stay in Florence.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo