“Great central base to explore Florence ....”

Il Salotto di Firenze
Ranked #67 of 659 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 June 2014

We stayed at Il Salotto di Firenze in May 2014 and were very, very happy with everything.
In a great location right on corner of the main Duomo square and within walking distance of all the main attractions and museums, etc.
Its a really good base to explore Florence and surrounding region. Plenty of cafes and restaurants nearby and shops if you want them. Also very quiet and private inside the apartment building, which is a beautiful old building with heaps of character.
Our room and bathroom were great, with everything you need and secure and very clean, with a window looking out on to the street scene.
Great breakfast and early enough for us, with a great variety of good food, coffee, etc.
Staff will help you out with anything you need and their friendliness and helpful attitude made a big difference.
Great B&B and ideal for a Florence stopover.
Jeremy & Trish

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 11 June 2014

These two owners of this B &B go out of their way (making espresso, coming in early to set out breakfast for our early departure, helping with our luggage, calling the airlines to ask about a strike for us.... etc etc) and always with a smile. The rooms are spacious, bathroom clean and modern. It might be time to replace the mattress and box springs as ours sloped towards the middle, Our friends said there bed was too soft, also. Nice TV on the wall but it was small and difficult to make it work. Wi fi was very sporadic...But we aren't in Florence anyway to watch TV or surf the net. The location was terrific and we thoroughly enjoyed the balcony. Grazi and arivaderci!

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Lovetotravel7559
Reviewed 21 April 2014

Everything about this B&B is totally perfect. Perfect location in the heart of the city. Staff is very friendly and sincere.Breakfast is served from the early morning till almost noon and the decoration of the dining room is so relaxing that you can lie back and enjoy your coffee before exploring the city. We loved the decoration and cleanliness of the rooms. Totally recommend this B&B if you're looking for a place to stay in Florence.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2014

When researching for accommodation in Florence, this place comes highly recommended with rather cheap price tag for such a central location. Stayed here for 3 nights and can highly recommend this place. Booked via booking.com because their B&B website is also quoting the same price. Bill was about 167 euro for 3 nights before 2% cash payment discount. I could not find any discount code online.

PRO:
- Truly great location, right around the corner of the Duomo (besides Gucci) – no exaggeration. Within walking distance to many attractions. I walked everywhere and never used a bus in Florence. Quite easy to find from the train station once you got your bearings.
- Room itself is in classic style but everything still works. The flat itself is so elegant, with high ceiling and hard wood flooring; it is as if you have your own flat downtown. Got in room safe, mini fridge. I didn’t see the hairdryer though. Cleaned daily.
- They have shared kitchen with fridge stocked with food & drinks which you can enjoy for free. Unfortunately you’re not allowed to cook though.
- Extra 2% discount for cash payment.
- Receptionist can help make reservation (they help booked Vini e Vecchi Sapori for me which turns out to be one of the greatest meal of my life!) – they are also responsive in emails.
- Free stable wifi (you need to ask for a code, and ensure its activated throughout your stay).
- Air con in room which you can control. Heaters also available.

CONS:
- Limited receptionist time. When I arrived at 12.30 pm (which is still within their reception time), I rang the bell and no one answer. I got a code in advance, but they did not told me I need to press * at the end. When I managed to do that & got into the building; I realized that they never told me which floor they are (1st fl, btw – excluding the ground floor). Before I hunted the whole 4 floors; Alessandro came and apologize as he left to help some other guest who got lost with their car. It was scary for a bit though, not knowing where to go & no one to help. Make sure you got their number & your phone is working just in case of emergency.
- Once you checked in, they gave you set of 4 keys with different colors to open various doors before you can enter your room. Ensure you know how to use them & don’t left them in your room! I wish they would just put a number instead of asking guest to memorize the color & sequence.
- There’s an ancient lift (the one that I saw in old black & white movies) but you primarily used the stairs.
- Bad sound proofing. I can hear my neighbors talked, watched TV, go to the toilet and all. You better pray you don’t have loud neighbors.
- Breakfast started at 8.30 or something which is rather late (I skipped all 3 breakfast because my itineraries & day trips require early start). But again, lots of food & drinks at the fridge to fill you up.

I know I put a lot of cons, but I was just trying to be honest & helpful. Nevertheless, I still would recommend this place if you are looking for value for money place to stay in such a central location. If you find my review to be helpful, pls click that helpful vote – thanks!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
12  Thank Ti_Chan
Reviewed 12 November 2013

This B&B was excellent in every way, no dissapointments whatsoever. The staff was super nice and I couldn't have asked for a better location- right at the corner of the Piazza de Duomo. If I went back to Florence, I would not think twice about staying here again.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Karen E
Reviewed 14 October 2013

I stayed for one week here in late September 2013 while travelling solo in Florence. The room was clean and well laid out with a modern bathroom. The breakfast was a nice start to a long day of sightseeing. The very best part of my experience was the wonderful friendly service provided by Alessandro and Marco. Alessandro helped me book a tour, train connections and find a local supermarket and laundry, and Marco lent me his umbrella on a very wet day. The location is perfect. I would highly recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Patricia383
Reviewed 6 October 2013

My mother and I stayed here for just two nights, but would have been happy to stay a month! Alessandro was the perfect host, friendly and knowledgeable. We very much enjoyed the little balcony over the street, watching life go by and interacting with the street musicians. Access to the kitchen (to make tea etc and help yourself to snacks) at any time was greatly appreciated. Would highly recommend.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family