“Two months in the Giada, 2013”

Florentia Apartments
Ranked #164 of 325 Speciality Lodging in Florence
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 27 November 2013

My husband and I spent April and May 2013 in the Giada apartment, which is one block from the Arno. This was our second time staying at Fiorentia Apartments.The first time was at another building on Via della Scala in 2010. The Giada apartment is a couple of blocks closer to central Florence. As always, Marguerita was very accommodating and everything was in good order. The only thing that went wrong in two months was a lack of hot water one morning. Marguerita was just a cell phone call away and it was fixed in two hours. There was some noise from the street from a nearby restaurant sometimes but both bedrooms are at the back of the apt. plus the restaurant was great and we ate there a lot. Very convenient. (It is to be expected that there will be street noise in most Florentine apts.) There is plenty of storage in both the bathroom and the two bedrooms and the satellite TV had many different stations in English. The two bathrooms came in handy when our grown son visited.The kitchen had all the utensils we could use even for a two month period. The washer worked beautifully. Most Florentine apts do not have a dryer but there was plenty of space to hang clothes both in the bathroom and the outside courtyard.We expect to visit Florentia apartments again as we know how reliable, kind and well-spoken Marquerita is. We believe that the reliability of the apartment owner is most important, as well as a comfortable, clean place. Thank you, Marquerita, for providing both for two months.

Room Tip: This apt is on the first floor so there is one flight of steps to walk up. Other apts in the buildin...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 1 October 2013

I have just returned from spending 2 weeks and weekends at the Diamante apartment with a friend. We both have been to Europe before. Overall the apartment was "good". The location is fine, and the space was more than adequate, but i must comment on the cleanliness. The floor in the kitchen was NOT clean. My friend washed it as best she could (we did not find a mop) using a kitchen towel.
I also want to comment that her shower curtain kept falling down. Apparently, the tension rod was not quite long enough and it was balanced on a very narrow ledge of tile. Each time she wanted to shower, i would hear a loud "crash" as the entire curtain and rod came down! We should have told Margherita as she did stop by a couple of times during our stay to clean the other apartments. We did not want to be a bother.
The only other issue was the mosquitoes or bugs. I'm not sure what was biting, but something kept biting us! Maybe it needs to be sprayed?
Overall, it was a nice, convenient place to stay with plenty of room for 2 people.

Room Tip: If you sleep in the Diamante, the room next to the balcony can be noisy for a light sleeper. The wa...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Margherita C, Proprietario at Florentia Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 16 October 2013

Thank you for your comment. As you said we met at the apt various times, where you asked that I should provide some materials for your painting classes and finally for a taxi reservation, which I both provided. I would have been more than happy to offer an extra cleaning or the shower curtain to be repaired if only was advised (also more concerned for these latter as I really CARE for my clients comfort!) and this would not bother at all.

We provide mosquitos spray and cleaning tools and products in the laundry space. Also these issues you could have asked for...

For your info I will provide a professional cleaning of the kitchen floor in the Diamante apartment: there are some spots which cannot be cleaned with normal products. Thank you so much for pointing this out.
Also I will put an add in the washing mashine place not to use it at night!
Thank you for your comments which help me to grow! A presto, Margherita

Reviewed 11 November 2012

These apartment were located very close to the train station. They were very comfortable. Margarita was very helpful in recomending local restaurants and in getting reservatoins. We would highly recommend these apatments. The apartment we stayed in accommidated 5 of us comfortably. It had a great loft that kids enjoyed sleeping in. Don't expect to be greated upon arrival, but she makes it very easy to find the place and get the key to your room.

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 27 October 2012

These apartments are well located, close to the station and easy walking distance to all the tourist sites. Our apartment was very well equipped and comfortable. I would gladly stay there if I return to Florence for another holiday.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mary F
Reviewed 9 May 2012

I would not recommend this apartment to anyone. The only reasons we stayed put was because we had already paid a considerable part of the money. The floor is very dirty and it seems it hasn't been cleaned in ages. If you walk barefoot, it seems like there is something sticky clinging to it.
The beds are most uncomfortable. The extra bed for a single person in the hall creaks and ensures you have a hearty back ache in the morning.
In fact,the owner was away when we arriv,but the person who opened the door for us was quite unaware about basic things. They promised wifi,but when we asked about it, the woman just shrugged her shoulders and said,"no wifi".
The bed linen too was not clean. When we pointed out that the cushions in the hall were soiled,she simply said " these are not for sleeping,only use when reading or sitting on the sofa." we were horrified at the lack of hygiene!
Similarly,we were expected to use the dishwasher for a 4nights with inadequate materials. The kitchen is tiny and is useful for the most basic cooking only.
All in all,our trip didn't turn out to be that good because of the apartment. The only plus point is its location - very close to the central station - which aided us in staying out of the apartment as much as we could. You would do better to stay away from the central location or spend more and live in a hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Malvikan
Management response:Responded 2 July 2012

Dear Guest,
in reply to your comment please read the following:
- The floor is very dirty: the antique cotto floor had been treated with a special wax to protect and nourish it. Unfortunatelly the liquid wax was not fully absorbed when you arrived, this is why you found it sticky.
- The beds are most uncomfortable: all the beds have comfortable regular matresses with rubber bands or latex fitting.
- The wifi was unfortunatelly to be fixed in those days and now we have a brand new fast ADSL connection
- bed linen/cuscions: I personally take care of cleaning, bed linen washing so to be sure of the hygiene quality, as I like it very much for my guests as well as in my own home!

The apartments are fully fitted and I check on maintenance and standard of service, which is as being in a family with your own privacy. Probably the holidays in family apartments are not in your expectation and I am sure you will enjoy a hotel service better on your next vacation.

Reviewed 23 October 2011

We booked a 2 night stay in Florence as part of a 17-day anniverary trip. We arrived by train from Venice after 8:00 pm and even though it was dark, we were able to find the apartment fairly quickly. The Florence train station is a flurry of activity. Unfortunately, we were not greeted as expected upon arriving at the building. What we did not know was to go up to the 2nd floor to the main door of the Florentia apartments. We were waiting on the main floor for someone to greet us. I tried phoning the owner, but Europe was in the middle of a Blackberry breakdown, and I could not access a network. Eventually, we heard someone in the building and it turned out that someone had been waiting for us on the 2nd floor. We were tired and a bit cranky, but we had been upgraded to the larger apartment and the extra space was welcome. The apartment is well described. We did not use many of the amenities of the unit because our trip was very short and we basically just slept there. We were catching a late train to Rome and it was nice to be able to take our baggage to the station and leave it while we enjoyed the day. There is a handy little grocery store nearby - be sure to ask for directions.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mstringer
Reviewed 4 September 2011

we were very dissapointed with the rubino bathroom,the paint was peeling off the bottom of the bath,it was covered with a ground in dirty bathmat,and this was our honeymoon,my wife who loves a bath was never going to sit in the un hygenic bath with the paint peeling off,and certainly was not going to sit on the the un hygenic bathmat either,margharita explained that due to the shape of the bath,when taking a shower ,water will run down the sides on to the floor,she then showed us a floor mop and bucket stuck in the corner and told us to wash and dry the floor afterwards. ( unbelievable ) not the type of place, or disregard to clients, we are used to, the bath needs replacing to the shape of the room or throw the bath away and just have a proper watertight shower, that would be a luxury,the toaster was hidden away,when we did find it, it would not work,one large frying pan not suitable,needs a smaller one too,-walk barerfoot on the foor,need to wash your feet again,far to dirty,and this was our first day,oh dear six more to go,we could go on and on--,the rubino in our opinion needs a total bath refit,and good kitchen equipment that works,and a proper clean to make guests feel at home,things should be made easy,not difficult for your paying guests--we couldn't wait to get home and have a real bath and shower without all the grief, and feel clean again--lovely----sadly we would not want to go back there again--lenny/joanna

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lennyjoanna
florentiaFirenze, Owner at Florentia Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2011

Dear Lenny and Joanna, thank you for your review. The Rubino bath is due to be restored next month,: it is an antique bath and very valuable so it is worthy to keep, like an antique piece of furniture it tells about the charme of the apartment! The kitchen amenities have been improved with a new toaster and frying pan (I wish you had told me during your stay!). I would have really appreciated a contact from you during your stay, to provide the amenities you claimed or to offer you the opportunity of another apartment which better suited your needs: clients satisfaction is my main aim!