“Wonderful space and location-not an exaggeration!”

Palazzo Alfani al David
Ranked #13 of 300 Speciality Lodging in Florence
Orlando, Florida
“Wonderful space and location-not an exaggeration!”
Reviewed 6 March 2013 via mobile

When they say these residence apartments are close to the Galleria Accademia and the famous statue of David, they are not exaggerating. Literally we walked 10 steps to the front door and were gazing at David. Amazing. The small bookstore next door sold us our tickets to get right in and sold us our reserved Uffizi tickets for the next day (thanks to Francesca Alfani for that recommendation.) We walked to every major sight in historic Florence within 15-20 minutes from here. There is a small grocery about 5 doors down where you can pick up snacks. Cafes, bakery and restaurants are all right around the corner in the piazza and thanks again to Francesca's recommendation we ate at Ristorante Accademia a lot! The apartments are just that - large, spacious and elegant apartments - we stayed in the Santo Spirito apartment and while there is no longer a large carpet in the living room nor the wooden mirror on the bedroom wall, everything else is as pictured on their website. It was large and we could comfortably live here forever. The bathroom shower is big and works great. The towels were big, there were shower essentials at hand, we were supplied coffee, tea, sugar and the kitchen was adequately furnished (big refrigerator with freezer.) After spotty to no WiFi in other places we stayed it was such a convenience to have fast and reliable Internet. It is true that there is no lift and I was concerned because we had quite a bit of luggage but we were assisted both coming and going so it was quite manageable. My husband and I found this to be our favorite place to stay on our trip. We really felt at home and the Alfanis, even with a sick child to care for, made sure we had everything we needed for a most pleasant stay. They are wonderful hosts. When we come back to Florence we want this always to be the place we stay!

Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
franflo75, Proprietario at Palazzo Alfani al David, responded to this review, 7 March 2013
Glad that you enjoyed it so much! Ristorante Accademia around the corner is a marvellous local eatery and you it's rather nice having Michelangelo's David as a neighbour! Perhaps one day you might come back and stay again!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 4 March 2013

Regrettably its taken a long time to send this review.I was unwell on returning to Australia,and then
kept procrastinating.Nevertheless left it on my email list because I was determined to thank ,
Francesca of Alfani Al David with a proper reviiew .Francesca was a very friendly and helpful
host .The apartment there was very comfortable,elegant and had all the conveniences.
It is located very centrally in Firenze,with a major Gallery almost opposite.My wife and I loved being in Florence and we would gladly go back there and to Francesca's apartment if we can return to Italy again .It was definitely the best apartment we stayed in during our 10 weeks travelling around Europe. Thanks Richard and Alannah Davies

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
We are delighted to hear from you - and thank you so much for being so determined to get this review out. We truly understand how hard it is to make the time! Sorry to hear that you were ill - hope things are all great again now. We hope to welcome you again in the future.
Saint-Tropez, France
Reviewed 23 February 2013

We (2 adults and 2 kids) spent two nights in the Palazzo Alfani, and it was great, the owners are friendly and extremely helpful, the location is fantastic and within walking distance of most of the attractions in town, the Accademia is just a couple of feet away from the front door.
Probably one of the best places we stayed in with the kids, and we will be very happy to visit again.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with family
franflo75, Proprietario at Palazzo Alfani al David, responded to this review, 1 March 2013
It was great having you - and we look forward to your next visit.
Reviewed 11 January 2013

This is my belated and very much overdue review of the most excellent lodgings in Florence. My husband and myself stayed in an apartment here in July and we truly did not want to leave. Francesca was courteous, friendly, and most helpful - plus charming and witty as well! We truly felt at home here. The building is within walking distance of everything, with a grocery store, coffee shop, and restaurant on the same block. One of our favorite activities was gazing out the window and people watching the tourists and vendors interact outside the Accademia on the street below.

Florence was beautiful, but our lodgings made the stay in this city that much better. I couldn't imagine staying anywhere else and have recommended the rental to several others.

Thank you for a lovely stay and for having a sense of humor when I filled the entire building with the smell of cooked garlic! (Whoops!) Hopefully you will not hold this against us when we have a chance to return to your fair city in the future.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CatlinSTJ
franflo75, Proprietario at Palazzo Alfani al David, responded to this review, 14 January 2013
Better late thank never! Thank you so much for finding the time to write - we know that it isn't easy. Cooking smells are part of Italian life, and we love garlic,so we look foward to you next visit!
Ommen, The Netherlands
Reviewed 5 December 2012

We stayed at palazzo Alfani in october 2012. Apart from it being in the right place it is a real treat to be in the inner city centre. Everything is at walking distance. Our host, Francesca, was always seeing to it that we felt at home. We drove by car to Florence, parking had been arranged by Palazzo Alfani and was excellent taken care off.
We'll come again!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
franflo75, Proprietario at Palazzo Alfani al David, responded to this review, 6 December 2012
We can't wait! It was fun and we look forward to doing it again!
Geneva, Switzerland
Reviewed 28 November 2012

I spent four days in Palazzo Alfani in October 2011 with my three teenage children. I had chosen this place after having read the reviews on Trip Advisor and found that it was even better that what we expected. The location is ideal, opposite the Accademia and 5 mn walk away from the Duomo.
We had a two-bedroom apartment on the second foor, overlooking the street on one side and the patio on the other. The place is an old palace which has been refurbished and is just beautiful. The apartment was very spacious, with two separate bathrooms. The bedroom overlooking the street could be noisy because of the tourists queuing for the Accademia (and they start queuing early in the morning!!!).
The only thing we regretted was that we hardly saw Francesca at all. She gave us the key when we arrived and after that, seemed to be very busy with her own personal life and could not be bothered with us, so we could not rely on her for any tips or advice at all. She had even gone away for a long week-end when we left and we had to leave the key with someone else.
I had expected it to be like a bed and breakfast but it was more like an apartment rental (we had to get our own breakfast).
However that was the only negative point and I would strongly recommend this place to anyone visiting Florence.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
franflo75, Proprietario at Palazzo Alfani al David, responded to this review, 4 December 2012
Hello. Firstly we are absolutely delighted that overall your stay was wonderful. That is very important to us. Next, you didn't feel looked after enough by me personally and that's not the feeling we like you to go away with.

Our accommodation is rather unique. We are not a hotel (we don't have a reception or concierge), we are not a bed and breakfast (we don't offer breakfast or other B&B services), yet we are not rental apartments either (we don't check you in and check you out and leave you on your own in the bit in the middle!).

The best way we can describe it is being neighbours! I, and my family, live in an apartment that is inside the building. We live our horribly busy lives (I only have two children, you have three, you know what I mean) right next door to you. We are very friendly neighbours - present if you need advice, a cup of tea and a chat, a cup of sugar or some restaurant tips - just knock on the door. Or nearly invisible and very out of the way if you enjoy your privacy and quiet.

Sometimes I have to rush out and sort out a lost suitcase at an airport when another client is arriving, but I make sure that their key gets to them somehow. Sometimes I sneak a weekend away with the kids in the summer, as holidays are nearly impossible for us. Sometimes I join a couple of our clients for dinner in the evening round the corner at the local ristorante. Sometimes I cook a traditional cake and offer a slice to anyone to happens to knock at my door whilst there is still some left!

That's the best description for me - a good neighbour! Come back one day, knock on the door and we'll have a glass of vin santo and a couple of biscottini together!
Singapore, Singapore
Reviewed 25 November 2012

I was there for 3 nights and totally enjoyed my stay there. The room was great for both 1A and 1B. Great location as it is very central and within walking distance to many tourists attraction. Right opposite to David too! More importantly, Francesca was wonderful and helpful in every way. I will strongly recommend Palazzo Alfani al David and I am already planning on my next trip to Florence and intend to stay there again. Faith - Singapore

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
franflo75, Owner at Palazzo Alfani al David, responded to this review, 29 November 2012
Truly - we count on it. Would love to see you again.