“Great find”

Palazzo Alfani al David
Ranked #17 of 325 Speciality Lodging in Florence
Reviewed 18 July 2013

Thanks, tripadvisor! Our first visit to Florence, and we (Mom, Dad & grown daughter) lucked into this modern, up-to-date apartment in a 15th century building, across Via Ricasoli from the Galleria Accademia (David). Arriving at Firenze SMN, we took Francesca's advice and loaded our luggage into a taxi (the Palazzo is an easy walk from train station, but it could be a bit awkward loaded down with luggage).

Owner Francesca was on holiday when we arrived in late June. Instead, we were welcomed by Giovanni, who helped us bring our luggage up to the apartment, checked us in and provided a thorough orientation to the apartment and the building. He even helped us set up the mosquito chaser in case we wanted to keep the huge windows open at night, and explained Firenze's recycling system.

Our apartment included a small but functional and well-equipped kitchen (a nearby market stocks most anything you might need to make use of that equipment). WiFi worked well everywhere in the apartment, but mind that tricky small step up into the bathroom. Our daughter found the shower to be "awesome."

Room Tip: As others have noted long, noisy lines for the Accademia tend form early in the morning. Our apartm...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 16 July 2013

You feel like you are living in another person's home. You meet Francesca for your keys and return them at the end of your stay. If either of you are busy, those are the only times you will see her as she lives in the building and has her own life too. However, she is really nice, happy to help, and you can always reach her by phone. We were there in early May, she upgraded us simply because the nicest apartment happened to be available.

It's not a hotel so don't expect the usual hotel amenities. It doesn't matter though, the apartment and the location is incredible. Walk to the nearest supermarket or get pizza at Puggi Bakery, both of which are recommended by Rick Steves. Get an appointment to see David and wait in your room. Walk to the top of the duomo and then return to your apartment to rest.

If your apartment faces the courtyard, you'll see a valley of red roofs and an olive tree. It's a unique and peaceful view.

In theory, noise could be an issue for some of the rooms if you wanted to sit in your apartment all day. But the line dies down around 4 or 5pm, leaving you an afternoon and night in peace and quiet. If you book a room facing the courtyard the noise will never bother you.

The kind service, spacious apartments and prime location makes this property a must for any visit to Florence.

Room Tip: If you face the courtyard you have guaranteed peace and quiet. If you face the street you can lean o...
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 June 2013

This place deserves a 5 star...and these are the reasons why -

1) Location - From the train station, take a taxi ride...about 10 mins (not really walkable IMO if you are carrying a lot of luggage). The place is just directly opposite the Statue of David Attraction. tip: book tickets to status of david if not be ready to queue for an hour! The duomo/city centre is a 5-7 min walk away.
2) Great host - francesca was really wonderful. Her service was top notch and the best in all the places I've stayed so far. She was very accommodating and always kind and helpful. I tried to book the statue of david attraction online but it appeared the tickets were not booked (but my credit card charged), and Francesca called the musuem to help me check.
3) Nice historical building - For our room we had a kitchen , living room, and a good bathroom. Beds were very comfortable. We stayed facing the gardens, and it was nice to open the windows in the morning and evening (thou i attracted some mosquitos). Just sitting in the living room and reading a book was nice. Free and strong wifi. Really good value.
4) Amenities nearby - There is a grocery shop, bakery, etc that you can run down. There is a taxi stand around the corner as well. Amazingly convenient. And please visit the Accademia restaurant!! We went there 3 times based on Francesca recommendation and i ate the best vongole in my life.. unforgettable

Just to note - the beddings and towels are only changed every 3 days (suggest every 2 days?). It would have been nice if there were more dustbins around the apartment as well, but every day the cleaning lady came in and washed the cups and cleared the bins so that was fine.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank ilovetravelworld
FrancescaAlfani, Proprietario at Palazzo Alfani al David, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2013

hello!

Thank you so much for your review and the description !
we are very glad to suggest and share our favorite places in Florence .. I frequent the restaurant Academia for 15 years and every time they are able to surprise me .. plus see the same owners in the same restaurant is a real guarantee and I'm happy and confident suggest them to my customers.

best wishes

Reviewed 10 June 2013

Perfect location - literally across the street from the Accademia. Perfect apartment - huge, clean, charming and comfortable. Lovely welcome from Francesca and the cleaning lady who insisted on helping us with our luggage up 2 flights. Felt like home. Will return!

Room Tip: 2B facing the garden was wonderful. Suspect the others are just as good.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello!!!!

thank you for your review...Me and Aurica (our strong cleaning lady) we are very happy to help you during your stay ... in our building we have no lift but often we can also carry out "two months" holiday luggage... If one prefers to climb a few stairs is better to insert in the booking form your preference for the second floor (the first floor is in italy).

Reviewed 30 May 2013

My husband and I enjoyed five nights and thoroughly enjoyed Florence, Francesca and this apartment, which is well located. The air conditioner works wonderfully, the bathroom is nice, well appointed with towels, soaps, hairdryer. The bed is comfortable and our apt on the interior courtyard was very quiet. Highly recommend.

Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Kim C

Dear Sally,

thank you so much for your time ! i'm very happy you liked our apartment !
we hope to welcome you next time in Florence!!!

Reviewed 28 May 2013

This is our second time in Florence in the last five years and our second time at Palazzo Alfani. The apartments are wonderful...very roomy, clean and well appointed. We had a living room, small kitchen and comfortable bedroom...and it's located in the heart of Florence just 2 blocks north of the Duomo by the David museum. The owner lives in the building and is helpful and very friendly. We love this place and can not wait to return some day.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple

Hello Rosie!

it was great to welcome you again with us ... it's like finding an old friend! I am very happy that you were happy with your stay this time .. as we say in Italy "there is no two without three" .. so looking forward to your return!

Grazie

Reviewed 28 May 2013

My mother, sister, and I stayed here for 3 nights, arriving on my sister's birthday. This was a fabulous experience. We stayed in the San Marco suite, in which there was a king size bed and a king sized pull out couch in the living room. We chose this suite mainly because of the fresco ceiling and have to confess, my sister and I spent time just lying on the bed looking up at it, hardly believing that we were in Florence and enjoying this beautiful sight!! The furnishings of the apartment were classy and we particularly enjoyed the tall ceilings and huge windows. We knew when we booked the room that it would be facing the noisy street but that was half the fun for us. We enjoyed opening the shutters and windows, and hanging out the windows staring at the crowds, looking to the right at the Duomo, and absorbing the atmosphere. It was still noisy overnight at all hours, but I wore earplugs and that blocked out all the noise.
We were only a 10 minute walk to the Duomo, and a 5 minute walk to the San Lorenzo leather market, and of course, across the street from the statue of David, so couldn't have asked for a better location.
The kitchen was well equipped. We didn't really cook there, just made our breakfast. I have to confess that we brought a toaster along as there wasn't one available, which may have been overkill, but it was my sister's birthday trip and she wanted toast, so she got it! The grocery store was a 2 minute walk from the hotel and was fully stocked. There were good restaurants nearby.
There was a safe in the bedroom, and a hairdryer in the bathroom. Beds and pillows were comfortable, with nice bedding as well.
There was a taxi stand just around the corner from the hotel, near the bus stop which was convenient for us for getting to the train station. The taxi ride to the station was about 5 - 10 minutes and cost about 12 euros.
Francesca and her family were lovely and we appreciated the birthday prosecco.
One hint is that when you arrive at the Palazzo, you can reach Francesca by pushing the buzzer that says " Alfani-Rutigiano" but if she isn't there it would be useful to have her cell phone number with you. When we arrived she had had to step out as she had a medical emergency to attend to, but a driver bringing in another guest called her and received instructions. I am not sure we would have known what to do if the driver hadn't been present which is why I am suggesting one ensures having the cell phone number available,as it was immediately answered.
We enjoyed Erica (I probably spelled her name incorrectly) who cleaned our room and was so friendly, despite the language barrier.
I had only one small area for improvement which would be that the emails I sent weren't always responded to quickly. I think I sent about 4 or 5 in a 5 month period of time which I don't feel was excessive but I would have preferred that they were responded to within 72 hours, as opposed to longer. However, that was just a minor concern and probably not an issue for most people, just someone like me who is obsessive about details.
The three of us agree 100% that we would love to stay here again should we have the opportunity to return to Florence.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Debbie T

Dear Debbie,
thank you so much for your review full of important details! I remember very well your arrival day..the kindergarden called me as my little daughter had a little accident at school and we needed to go to the hospital immediately...fortunately it doesn't happen everyday but , as you mentioned in the review , it's very important to have all your and my contact (email and phone number ) if there is some problem or delay on the arrival day!
We hope to welcome you again in the future!!!