“Lovely Hosts and Strategic Location.”

De' Benci Bed and Breakfast in Firenze
Ranked #33 of 675 Florence B&B and Inns
Philippines
“Lovely Hosts and Strategic Location.”
Reviewed 23 June 2014

My friends and I stayed here in the first weeks of June 2014. The first best thing I can say about De'Benci B&B is the lovely hosts. Carlo and Sara were very accommodating and friendly, and always there to assist us notably in our queries regarding bus schedules, getting a taxi, etal. One of my friends celebrated her 40th birthday, and Sara surprised her with a birthday cake which she baked herself. Very sweet and thoughtful gesture that we truly appreciated.

The second best thing is that the B&B is located within walking distance to major tourist sites - e.g. the Uffizi, Duomo, Ponte Vecchio, and Santa Croce. We heard mass at the Florence Cathedral practically every day at 730am. Also, whilst Carlo suggested a good 20 min walk to San Miniato, we opted to take a taxi going there, and took a walk going back. It was great!

The third best thing is that the place is kept clean and orderly. It is well decorated to keep a quaint, relaxing homey environment.

Lastly, the community surrounding the B&B is friendly and has got that home feeling. Across the B&B are mini grocery, gelato bar, self service laundry, and various restos. I was able to chit chat with the owner of the mini grocery every day when I purchase chips, bottled water and coke light from his shop (I even got a few centavos off); had my gelato fix(es) - cheapest one at Euro 1.. beat that!; and did our laundry. It feels like we were locals! =)

Yes, the noise at the bars can sometimes bother my sleep, but who cares if you are a tourist? =)

Thank you Carlo and Sara for making our stay comfortable and memorable. We will not forget your kindness and thoughtful gestures, especially baking a cake for my friend on her birthday. More power and God bless!

We hope to come back! =)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank CSolano17

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
North Liberty, Iowa
Reviewed 17 June 2014

we really enjoyed this location to the nite life and sites of Florence. very safe and secure and old Italy type facility and location but clean and comfortable. loved the window view and sounds. felt very at home. a little hard to find the 1st time and no parking so just use taxi....

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Florence, AL
Reviewed 16 June 2014

We only stayed one night previous to our departure from Italy the next day, but it was a great ending to our two weeks. The pleasant owner, Carlo, met us with a smile and spent time getting to know us. We knew our way around Florence fairly well by this last-day return, so finding the B and B was no problem. It is located within a few feet of the the piazza in front of Santa Croce. Thus, it was a great location for our final sight-seeing in Florence. Our room was decorated in antiques and the room was quite beautiful. The bath was modern and very new, in contrast to the antique furnishings. The large bed was quite restful. When we return, this is where we will stay! Thomas and Pat

Room Tip: Our room was facing the street but was quiet.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 14 January 2014

the rooms are big and spotlessly clean. The street is definately noisy due to the clubs: they all close at the same time, and out spills the revellers. I normally sleep like a log but got woken every night, even Sunday. Its nice to have a fourth floor room with a window but its of little use if the shutter is chained and locked. I have stayed in hotels and B&B's the world over and indeed many aggriturismo in rural Italy, and never had a problem in the first world paying with a credit card: but no card here. Given the daily limits on cash withdrawels from ATM's, the result for us was having to assure 3 visits to the ATM (one each day) and no doubt some extra costs from my bank when i get home. But perhaps to most irritating, if i'm paying close to $200 per night, i don't think its much to ask for a little shampoo in the shower.
The location is indeed ideal, though i am sure you could be around the corner somewhere and have great location without the nighly street parties.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank sha h
cdt78, Proprietario at De' Benci Bed and Breakfast in Firenze, responded to this review, 16 January 2014
I am VERY sorry about your experience.

I am more than sorry that I know everything you complain reading this review: why you did not tell me anything about that while you were here?

I tried to make everything you asked to make you stay better and I am very disappointed by your behaviour: I would have liked you to tell me all that before while you were here.

I consider this review pretty unfair since you gave me no opportunity to try to fix anything.

About the payment: I have written in bold in the very first email that I accept cash only. If you do not read the email (nor you have read the reservation policies, that I invited you to read!!), you cannot blame me about your negligence. Please check your email and you will find these lines:

"If you are interested in booking the room, please reply to this email as soon as possible. By replying this email you confirm to have read and agreed with our policies: http://debencisuite.com/policy.htm"
Gatineau, Canada
Reviewed 15 October 2013

Perfect location, close to everything we were interested in, historical sites, good restaurants close by, markets, squares, churches, etc. There is even an Information Office around the corner from Santa Croce Basilica two blocks away from the B&B where we booked all our tours. Rooms are very spacious and decorated with taste while preserving the antique character of the place. All staff were really pleasant and Carlo was a very helpful host. Breakfast was excellent.

Room Tip: We had the biggest room, the Dante room, a little noisy from the street at night, but no problem wit...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 15 October 2013

The B&B is ideally located in the very heart of Florence, literally 10 steps away from the Santa Croce church. The rooms are spacious and bathrooms are big and very clean. Although I read about issues with key transfer in case of late arrivals, we had no problems at all in picking up the keys from a restaurant nearby. For Italian standards, the breakfast is rich and has a big variation. People are friendly and not pushy. The only minus to it is that the street can be noisy at night, as two bars are located in the immediate vicinity of the B&B. So either take earplugs or stay up late enough yourself, not to be woken up in the middle of the night ;-)

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Tampa, Florida
Reviewed 25 September 2013 via mobile

This quaint B & B is just 1/2 block from the Opera Della Santa Croce and a 10-15 minute walk to almost everything else. Carlo is warm, enthusiastic and eager to make your stay as pleasant as he can. The other reviews are correct about the rooms. They are spacious and appointed as if you're in an older Tuscan villa. The street noise kept us from enjoying the cool nights and although the AC wasn't a powerhouse, we stayed cool enough to sleep.
The only real downside to this charming B&B is that the pillows are flat and hard, but that seemed to be the norm at several other hotels we visited.
All in all, a delightful place.

• Stayed September 2013