“Reasonable and Lovely!”

Ranked #48 of 301 Speciality Lodging in Florence
Richmond, Virginia
“Reasonable and Lovely!”
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Gianna was a fabulous host at her lovely B&B in Florence. I had just parted ways from my travel group and had one day where I was traveling on my own. Florence was the perfect place to go, and Lanterna Fiorentina was the perfect lodging! The room was very comfortable and clean. The bathroom was terrific, very clean and a lovely shower! I couldn't figure out how to work the TV, but that wasn't really a problem - had I asked, I'm sure Gianna would have helped. Walking from the B&B to the heart of the Florence sightseeing was about a 10 minute walk, and I would have been comfortable to do it alone at any time of the day or night. The next morning, I had a late train but checked out in the morning. Gianna was very accommodating & allowed me to keep my bag and pick it up on my way to the train station. I can't think of anything else I'd need in Florence. I highly recommend the Lanterna Fiorentina!

While traveling in Italy, I found it is helpful to let the B&B host know when you plan to arrive so that they can be there to meet you.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
2 Thank liznem

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Reviewed 15 April 2009

I was in Florence with some friends who were staying at a hostel. There weren't beds available when I went to make my reservations, so I sought out another lodging option. I'm so glad I found Giana and the Lanterna. What a fantastic place!

The rooms are very comfortable and are a nice size. The bathroom was also great. It was a decent sized room and a roomy shower. So nice! I will definitely stay here again on my next visit to Florence.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
3 Thank ChrisRVA
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 10 April 2009

Great location in an area with several restaurants and shops, and very close to the public market. An easy walk to the sights of Florence. Room was clean, comfortable and not small with LCD TV, wireless internet, and breakfast included at a Cafe just down the street. Our room had a large window that opened into a courtyard and was very quiet. Gianna, the innkeeper. was very helpful and nice. Very close proximity to a laundromat. The rate was unbeatable for the quality of accommodations.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with friends
2 Thank acswift
Micib
Reviewed 29 September 2008

I loved staying at the Lanterna Fiorentina. The owner, Gianna, is very nice and speaks excellent english - which makes booking etc very easy. I thought the standard of accommodation was excellent for a B&B and it was good value for money.
It's about 8 minutes walk from the main train station to Lanterna Fiorentina (so you can easily walk it as long as you don't have heavy bags). In terms of the main sights, this isn't the most central of B&B's but that didn't bother me much because Florence is so small - it takes only 10-15 minutes to reach the Duomo. It also has the advantage, if you like that, of not being in the noisy central area. A couple of times I ate nearby and everything was of great quality and it was considerably cheaper than in the streets surrounding the Duomo.
An earlier review on trip advisor, called this B&B basic and I'd imagined that meant it would be a bit like a youth hostel - that wasn't the case at all. The decor is simple and the furniture fairly basic - but it's quite funky and everything is spotless. I had a single room with an attached shower room and the fittings appeared to be very new and everything was sparkling.
I'd read a lot of reviews of B&Bs in Florence before I booked here and lots of them complained about the accommodation being up many flights of stairs and also very small elevators. Here, the accommodation is on the first floor (that's the 2nd floor to Americans) so it's not too far to walk. If you prefer, you can use the small lift/elevator which looks pretty new. It wasn't very big and fitted me and my very large and heavy suitcase in but probably wouldn't have fitted another person with a big bag in at the same time.
So, in summary, this is a simple and basic B&B which is a bit off the beaten track compared to many other B&Bs. I will definately stay there again if I go back to Florence because the standard of accommodation was so good for the price.
Two things worth checking if you're bothered - the B&B's website says it has satellite tv and wi-fi.
I quickly flicked through the tv channels and couldn't find any english speaking stations - I eventually gave up as I didn't really care that much...but you might want to check with Gianna if english speaking tv is essential to you.
Something similar happened re the wi-fi. I had my laptop with me and turned it on but didn't pick up any kind of wireless signal. Again, I didn't really care and didn't even bother to ask about it -- but if you're desperate to be connected you might want to check with Gianna.

• Liked — Good value for money
  • Disliked — A 10-15 minute walk to central sights
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Micib
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 4 March 2008

it is situated close to city centre, the owner was very nice, the room was quiet and very clean. the bed was comfortable. no breakfast, but this is well highlighted on their website
i will definitely stay there next time!

• Liked — cleanliness
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with family