“love this place!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #164 of 295 Speciality Lodging in Florence
Vancouver, Canada
“love this place!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2013

Our 3rd time in Florence, and we always booked Cavour as our home. location....location....location
Anna was very helpful, she was waiting for us more than 45 minutes (we arrived late) with the AC on, and with our treat,if you are coming to Italy in OVEN season ( july/august) it is alwas nice to ask for a cold room, and a prosecco waiting for you in the fridge =>)
She knows our taste, so we only need to say our arrival date and time, and she will do the rest.
the apartment is fully equipped, 2 blocks to the Dome, and close to everything... what else could you ask for...
We love Italy, and looks like we are coming back again.
thanks Ana Maria for been so nice , we hope to see you and Firenze again !!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank mcaula

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2012 via mobile

We stayed in apartment 2 and had a great stay. The apartment has been carved out of a huge room by inserting a mezzanine floor. The work has been nicely done. The new floor does mean that you might not be as comfortable if you are much over 6ft tall.

Clean and reasonably well equipped (no wine glasses and no kettle) it was nice to get in in the evening and find a comfy sofa to sit on.

This apartment is certainly convenient for the heart of Florence but when you close the door you are in a world of your own.

My niggle is with the broadband the system is quite fast (steaming live tv no problem) but only one device can be connected at a time so look out all you two smartphone families.

I would go back if I needed to stay in Florence again and will be keeping an eye out for similar elsewhere.

Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MikePB
Phila
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2012

We had a terrible misfortune of booking this hovel based on convenient location, but overall experience ruined our stay in Florence to the point where we left the apartment and the city less than 24 hours after arriving. Staying in this place was the worst mistake of our 26 day journey through Italy. Thanks to MSN, our stay in Florence has been completely ruined and I don't think I'll ever return to the city again, let alone any of the MSN properties.

First - the confirmation email contained incomplete information and incorrect/non-working phone number. Driving from Rimini, our drive took longer than expected and we were running late for check-in hours (listed 2pm - 6pm). I tried calling ahead to coordinate/arrange late arrival, but due to non-working number was unable to do so. Contacting hotels.com help either - they didn't have correct info as well. I wasted about an 90 minutes (or $45 worth) of international airtime unsuccessfully trying to ensure we could get in, once we arrived.

After we finally made it to Florence and found the apartment around 7:30PM, at last - a correct phone for property management was posted next to the door! I called the owner (Annamaria) and she told me that we arrived late, past check-in time and she was out of town. I explained that both I and hotels.com were unable to contact her at provided phone number earlier - she didn't care. Told me that she was out of the city, she considered it a non-show, would not refund the money, and couldn't really do anything for us. THE BEST SHE COULD TELL US WAS THAT WE SHOULD RENT A HOTEL ROOM FOR THE NIGHT AND THEN SHE WOULD LET US IN THE NEXT DAY!!!

For 4 day stay, we paid an equivalent of what it would cost to rent an apartment in most major cities for 1 month, so I was not ready for such a response. When I explained the situation again and threatened to dispute the charges with my credit card, she finally reluctantly said that she'd call me back. We waited 30 minutes for a call back - told me that property owner was not reachable, since it's Sunday and she didn't know what she can do for us. (As it turns out - SHE IS the property owner and has the keys). She said she won't be back in Florence until after 10PM, at which point she will "come for us". When I asked what that meant, she got really upset and told us that she was already DOING US A FAVOR!!!! and if I din't like it, she wouldn't come to get us at all!!!

HOLLY HELL…

We spent next 3 hours waiting in the car for her to arrive, not knowing what "come for us" meant - whether that meant she'd have the keys or we'd be just having a conversation in the street. Finally, after calling hotels.com again, they confirmed that they spoke with her and she said she'd let us in that night. So, at around after Annamaria made a big show of how she was doing us a BIG FAVOR, at 11pm we finally got into a VERY HOT apartment - already pretty stressed out, tired, exhausted from heat. She quickly plugged everything in, turned AC and water heater on and left. I then spent next hour unsuccessfully trying to get AC to actually work, so that we could sleep - as the apartment was unbearably hot.

Meanwhile, my wife found entire place to be filthy, sticky with grease, smelling of Indian cooking (including all the bed sheets, towels, etc). Every glass and plate was filthy too, and our bedroom contained grease stains on the walls near the headrest. Could anything go right? Nope. Both showers were incredibly small - to the point where even a 10 year old child had a hard time taking a shower in an enclosure smaller than a phone booth.

We were too tired to notice and just tried to get some sleep in a stuffy, sweaty and smelly apartment that felt like being in sauna. Both kids could not fall asleep for a long time. At 2:30AM entire family was struggling to sleep, both kids sweating and having a hard time breathing. We opened the windows and the air outside was cooler than apartment! No one could really sleep all night - it was a torture. Open windows and mosquitoes will eat you alive; close windows and you're in sauna!

Next morning, I phoned Annamaria and she said she'd be over in 2 hours. I showed her the AC unit, but she told me that it's working fine and ALL APARTMENTS IN FLORENCE are hot like that. When I showed her that AC unit was not blowing any cold air, she kept insisting that we're just not used to Italian summers… and we wouldn't have a problem if we arrived on time the night before. WHAT? LOL!!!!

I asked if she had another apartment, so we can compare how AC works in that one. She showed me a smaller unit - 1/2 the size of the room we paid for and told her that was it. The AC in that one seemed to actually blow cold air, so I figured it was worth a shot swapping out. She then took another 2 hours to get the apartment ready and told us to move our things later. After we came back to the new apartment - it was just as hot as the other one, but now we were all sleeping in the same room for the same money.

No one was in the mood to see anything in Florence or spend another day dealing with the continued nightmare of staying in this hell hole, so, we packed our things and left less than 24 hours later, completely turned off by Florence and not even caring to see anything else in the city.

I'm in total shock, how HOTELS.COM would continue their relationship with this entity. I intend to take this matter up to HOTELS.COM upper management when we return to the States. But you've been warned!

Room Tip: Do not rent at this property or any owned by MSN
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank karluccio
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 February 2012

We had a really hard time finding this place because of the odd numbering system in Florence, but once we did, we found our room very comfortable, extraordinarily clean and safe. It was close to the train station which made it walkable to everything. The owner was very nice and accomodating though cautious. We had to pay extra for wireless though not much, and it didn't work the first day. We ended up suggesting she reset the router which seemed to work. Unfortunately, a large Indian family was staying in the apartment next door, and they were very loud and very odorous. There were several children who screamed and played in the hallways until late, and they usually left their door open. This was not the fault of the owner of our apartment, however, as she also seemed displeased by this. The shower was very very small, and it was difficult to wash your lower bits, because moving caused you to bump into the shower door which made it open. But the price was fair for the place, the location was good, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank SDMidwife
geneva
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2011

Stayed for our easter break in one of the suites. Family of four ( two kids and two adults). Pluses are the location, size and cleanliness. Negatives are the mosquitoes!! the level supposed to be the upper floor was a joke, just the room divided into two levels via a staircase with beds piled up in dorm fashion with loads of mosquitoes ( we eventually landed up sleeping in the same beds downstairs so it was cramped). The entrance was dark and a bit scary, amenities were limited, no kettle, microwave, safe, english tv etc.
We paid for the extra wi fi connection but it was pretty awful.
We also paid additionally for cleaning the room, which was worth the money as the cleaning guy even did the dishes, The kitchen was very sparsely equipped. AnnaMaria was helpful, but was late the first day when we arrived and we waited for 15-20 mins ( even though I had confirmed and emailed her my arrival times a couple of times). She was nice though, but only after we had paid up full amount in cash on day one. Small point but made us feel a bit awkward as she said she would give us keys to the apartment only after we had paid( we had not even said no to paying or anything) we were just asking her about the keys!! Although price wise it was fair, I may want to pay more for a better place next time!!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 March 2011

Really spacious alternative to a hotel in heart of Florence.Anamaria is lady who looks after residence we found her to be very helpful. 

• Stayed September 2010
1 Thank Vwglen
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2010

The apartment we stayed in was very roomy and clean, situated in an old Palazzo in the center of the town. On the first level you have the kitchen as well as the living area, while the bedroom is on the second level. The apartment is fully furnished and all the equipment is new and in good condition.

When you book the apartment make sure that the landlady knows when you are arriving so that you do not end up waiting in front of the door until you get the keys as there is no reception in the building. There are a few minor negative points: The ceilings are pretting low on the second level, i.e. about 1.8m. Furthermore the boiler is heated with gas which is not convenient (it takes quite some time until the water is warm...)

In summary, the appartment was very nice and we can recommend it. Also for longer stays

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple