“Good local flavor and feel”

Cantinetta Antinori
Ranked #400 of 2,821 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: European, Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Duomo
Reviewed 13 October 2013

We dined here for lunch at the recommendation of our concierge. We seemed to be the only english speaking guests in the restaurant so we enjoyed the "local feel". Indoor seating was the only option though and we were seated upstairs which gave you a good spot to people watch. It is a small restaurant and we got there a couple of minutes before our reservation to find the doors locked and guests lined up outside. The restaurant quickly filled up when the door was finally unlocked. This was solid good italian food with an authentic local feel. Great location near shopping was a plus as well. Meal moves at a very leisurely pace so don't go if you are rushed.

2  Thank Mitzicmich

Reviewed 11 October 2013

La Cantinetta Antinori--for the past 14-15 years i have been frequenting it--has never let me down, whether I am there by myself,for lunch or dinner, or whether I have Florentine guests or guests from Singapore, Paris, London, or the States. Though small, La Cantinetta Antinori is very sophisticated, with the best of wines, consistently fine food, and the best of service.

Owned by the Antinori family and showcasing their wines of course, this little restaurant has an ever-changing menu to guarantee that they will offer the best seasonal dishes. Last week, I was able to get a special pasta with porcini mushrroms, and this week pici made its appearance just in time for the slightly colder, wetter weather we have been experiencing. (I believe pici is a Montalcino speciality, a fat spaghetti pasta made without eggs, but I have seen it served in several other of the Tuscan hill towns where it may be called pinci. Whenever I see it, I order it.)

Several desserts are available, but my preference is the cheese: three slices of pecorino of different ages, served with chestnut tree honey, perhaps accompanied by the dessert wine muffato . . . hope I got the spelling right.

When I first discovered the Cantinetta, it was managed by the always-elegant Gianfranco Stoppa whom I suspect served the Cantinetta well for probably 40 years and who was well-known throughout Florence and indeed beyond; most of the restaurant reviews mentioned him by name. When he retired, he was replaced by a terribly young, albeit handsome, Florentine, Daniele Benci. But Daniele immediately took up the gauntlet, and the Cantinetta has remained elegant and sophisticated, and the food has remained exemplary under his management. Perhaps it is even getting better as the Antinori family explores new horizons, opens new vineyards, and produces new wines.

Despite its ritzyTournabuoni address and its steady succession of professional and even titled patrons, the atmosphere is cozy and welcoming, not stuffy, due in part to Daniele and the seasoned, unrufflable staff who are there, month after month, year after year, doing exactly what you expect in such a legend of a place. La Cantinetta is a guaranteed pleasure--one of the best restaurant experiences that Florence has to offer--and that assures it of a place in any food and wine lover's heart.

2  Thank NMCate
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We arrived at 7.45 on Friday evening having been told on the phone they were fully booked but I'm glad we called in as a seat at the bar turned into a table very quickly.

The Antinori family is famous for wine and they have some beauties by the glass and bottle. The food is simple and excellent. The seafood salad with prawns and white beans was amazingly tasty and the pappardelle with meat was beautifully light fresh pasta with tasty meat sauce.

When we first sat at the bar we were given a free huge plate of the most gorgeous Parmesan cheese and basket of bread - all free!!! No cover charges.

Good Sacher torte dessert. Feature of the night was the wine. Good chianti reserva but then a bottle of Tignanello 2010. Best wine of the holiday so far. Go mad and have some. Not the most buzzing place but small and fun as we got to speak to some friendly people on both tables next to us and there seemed to be quite a few locals. Definite,y worth looking up.

Reviewed 19 September 2013

My husband and I had a wonderful dinner in this lovely restaurant. The mushroom appetizer was fabulous! My husbands steak was yummy and my homemade pasta with mushrooms was to die for. The sautéed spinach was more like creamed spinach without the cream. One portion to share was perfect. The wine list included many affordable wines which was somewhat surprising for this level restaurant. The server was outstanding. He was quite attentive without being overbearing and provided exemplary service. Our reservation was for 7:30 ( perhaps a bit early for the locals) and we were placed upstairs with all couples and 5 out of 6 tables were tourists. As we were leaving we noticed more locals in the downstairs area.

2  Thank BetsyGite
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We ate at the Cantinetta Antinori on our first night in Florence on the recommendation of some friends who visited Florence a month earlier. We were not disappointed. We always hear that the best places are the ones where you find locals, and that was the case with this warm and cozy place. It's small, which is nice, the food is good, and the service is polite and professional, although they don't speak a lot of English (maybe another good sign?). They offer only Antinori wines, and they were exceptional. As the dinner crowd made their way through the door, it seemed that most of the people were such regulars that they had favorite tables and they were escorted straight to them. We were staying at the Helvetia & Bristol Hotel, so this restaurant Piazza Antinori was a very easy stroll from the hotel. This cantinetta was a great introduction to Florentine cuisine.

1  Thank lynl2013