“So good, we came back the next day!”

Osteria Santo Spirito
Ranked #262 of 2,807 Restaurants in Florence
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Delivery, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Santo Spirito / San Frediano
Reviewed 27 October 2013

We had eaten in this restaurant many years ago and had fond memories of it, so set off to see if it still existed; we were delighted to discover that not only it did, but it was just as good as we remembered it being. The setting is in the delightful,slightly bohemian, square of the church of Santo Spirito - a lively area with many restaurants and bars. The food is great - absolutely delicious, generous portions, and very reasonably priced. We enjoyed our meal so much that we went back the next day for lunch so that we could try some of the other dishes on the menu. The service is a bit slow and haphazard so don't go if you're in a rush!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We ate here on a Tuesday night in late October and only just got a table, the place was packed and very lively. The food was excellent and our waitress friendly and efficient. I felt that the price we paid for what we received was fantastic compared to other eating-places in Italy. The mixed antipasto plate that we shared was very good ( and substantial) and beautifully presented. The pate was particularly tasty. The beef stew was cooked perfectly, the most tender beef we've tasted in a long time. We liked the busy, noisy atmosphere and the young team of waiting on staff were great.

Reviewed 19 October 2013

My family and I ate here on two consecutive nights because we wanted to try more dishes than one night would allow. The first night, we had the gnocchi with truffle sauce, which was as fantastic as I had remembered from when I had it in 2011. I had a salad with Gorgonzola cheese, which was also very tasty. On the second night, we had the ribbolita, a Tuscan specialty. It was not too heavy and had a very nice flavor. My 11-year-old son had the spaghetti with garlic, basil, and tomatoes. I snagged some off of his plate and thought it was wonderfully light and fresh. We had the salad with anchovies, capers, and cheese, too. The "house" red wine (2 euros a glass) is excellent.

When our bill was delivered the first night, we were given mandarin oranges which are the best I've ever had. Maybe they ran out of them the second night, because we didn't receive any with our check. That was disappointing. Service is friendly, but inconsistent. Don't come to Italy expecting good service, because you'll be sorely disappointed. Waiters and waitresses (there are few of the latter) don't work for tips, so they don't have to try to serve you well.

The restaurant offers reduced portions of most of its entrees and salads. For 4-5 euros, you can get a filling, excellent entree. More restaurants should follow Osteria Santo Spirito's lead.

Reviewed 15 October 2013

This local restaurant was recommended by our hotel. Whilst the food was reasonably good for the price, and the serves were substantial, the service was average (even by italian standards). We had a gnocchi with truffle oil and spaghetti with chilli, garlic and oil and a side salad. All were Tasty. We were served quite a bit after the tables around us despite having ordered at the same time, our beer order was wrong, and we never received side plates so we could enjoy the fresh bread and olive oil. All in all, reasonable food, but frustrating service!

Reviewed 15 October 2013 via mobile

My husband and I stumbled upon this place our first night in Florence. Gnocchi with truffle sauce? Yes, please!!! It was so good we came back another night for more gnocchi and the tortalucci in a walnut cream sauce. It's food fit for a Medici, per my husband. The bread comes out with an olive tamponade and they have an apple balsamic vinegar on the table that was delish!!! We got lucky both times with getting a table but they seem busy enough that you might want to reserve a table, especially if you want a table outside on the piazza.