“Ill equipped, unclean, uncaring..”
Review of Residence I Colli

Residence I Colli
Ranked #107 of 325 Speciality Lodging in Florence
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My husband and our toddler travelled with my parents. Out of the 6 different accommodation we stayed in around Europe, this one was a massive disappointment. Such a beautiful looking place on the internet and from the outside but thats where the good things end. For a self contained cottage, the amount of kitchen utensils was so poor. No kettle, no toaster, no wine glasses, no tea towels, one mug for tea, 4 tiny espresso cups. The equipment between the 2 cottages was so different, we had a share between us all to cook dinner. One of the towels in my parents room had a dirty stain on it. Both towels in our room were damp, and no towel supplied for our toddler. When I requested another one, the hotel manager rudely spoke to me, saying that " we are not a hotel young lady, if you want hotel you go next door" before eventually understanding that I didn't want extra, only enough for the three of us. Water for tea had to be boiled on the stove in an old pot that had clearly seen better days. The sponge to wash dishes was so old and should have been thrown out ages ago. There was mould in our shower. The Mosquitos are dreadful, gardens overgrown.... I could go on and on... All I can say is, don't be fooled by the pretty pictures on their Internet site, we were.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Carinaandflynn
IColliResidence, Direttore at Residence I Colli, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Dear Sir and Madame,

we are very sorry to read this bad review, you have stayed in two studios with a terrace at your disposal, surrounded by a nice park in one of the nicest parts of Florence, 15 minutes walking from the city center.
Our clients usually love to have breakfast and dinner on the tarrace of the cottages and they enjoy a lot the opportunity to have a full equipped kitchen to prepare their own meals.
After your complaints we gave you extra wine glasses, tea towels, and extra towels as you required but it seems that our efforts to make you happier weren't enough.
You probably don't know that in Italy it' s quite normal to boil water using small pots, kettles are not something that you find in every house or hotels (like you do in Australia).
It's true, in Italy there are some mosquitos in the summer months (not only here!) this is why in each appartment our clients can find a small electrical device against them, we explained to you how to use it, you only had to plug it in.
You had a lot of "extra" request and we did everything you asked us and we didn't say anything about the fact that for 2 days you have laid your clothing out to dry around the terrace instead of using the drying rack over your bath tube like everybody else does.
Regards,

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We got the hang of using the buses but it was still not as convenient as staying in florence central and while the walk into town is quaint and easy, the walk back is mostly uphill. Still that part was manageable. We found the accomodation mostly misrepresented by the pictures online. We stayed in the cottages at the back, no. 1 and 2. There was an abundance of plastic flowers, a mouldy odour and very little space to put things with the amount of mismatched furniture (mostly used to hold the plastic flowers). While we enjoyed Florence tremendously, we did not look forward to returning to Residence I Colli at the end of the day. The beds in both cottages were either lumpy or squeeky. The bedding really old and worn (although it appeared clean). The tap in the bathroom of one of the cottages dripped constantly. Cooking equipment, pots etc... were not very inviting. Just to make a simple cup of coffee meant boiling water in a rather "yuk' pot. The place gives the impression of a stingy owner whose standards are set by how much he can take out and less about the comfort of people who are misled to stay there.
We will not be returning.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Trudi F
Reviewed 2 June 2013

I spent 4 nights at Residence I Colli with my wife and 2 years old daughter. We had one of the cottages and enjoyed it very much, the cottage was clean and confortable in the middle of the garden park, not too large but enough for our family.
It was very nice to have our breakfast in the garden with the morning sunshine!
We felt very welcome, the staff was friendly and helpful, we really had a great time and hope to came back.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank LondonBray
Reviewed 15 May 2013

My wife and I stayed at the Residence I colli for 3 nights in May 2013 and after reading a wide range of reviews prior to arriving were not entirely sure what to expect, However, pretty much most of what we had read was true. We were allocated a "beautiful apartment with terrace". This was located behind the main villa up some dangerously steep stone steps (difficult to negotiate at night!). However, apart from the continuous run of ants up the outside wall it looked quite nice. Inside, it was basic in terms of amenities but clean. The cooker being quite primitive in that it could only be lit with matches or a lighter and some of the lighting not working. No kettle! The bedroom and lounge areas were comfortable though. The location is good, about a 20-25 minute walk to the Ponte Vecchio and not far from a small supermarket. The surrounding area was very quiet at night, unusual for Italian cities! The owner, while being slightly quirky in manner, was pleasant and helpful and the receptionist very helpful with an excellent command of English. Whilst we probably wouldn't stay here again, we think the property represents good value for money. Wish we had been allocated a room in the main villa though as we think the photograph of the property is misleading.

Room Tip: When booking always enquire about a room in the villa itself.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Les W
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Residence I Colli was one of the highlights of our recent trip to Italy. The villa is beautiful and offers a real Tuscan experience. A very friendly and attentive staff helped book museums, make restaurant reservations, etc. The location is great too and within walking distance of several shops, restaurants and attractions.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank AnDuAr
Reviewed 12 November 2012

My husband and I first stayed at Residence i Colli in June 2011, and I returned there in late October 2012 with my two daughters. We couldn't have been more pleased. It is a lovely villa, and very convenient for walking or getting a bus to the city center. The apartments are elegantly furnished, and very comfortable. It rained during our stay, but it was always nice to enter the warmth of the villa which we found to be quite cozy. We enjoyed buying wine, salami and cheese in Florence's markets, and being able to keep everything fresh in the apartment's kitchen. Having a bit of wine and some appetizers in the sitting room before heading to a restaurant for a late, Italian-style dinner was very relaxing after a long day of sight-seeing. At the front desk, Samantha was always helpful with giving us maps and directions, making reservations for museums and restaurants, etc., and Carlo, the owner, was equally hospitable and welcoming. Staying at Residence i Colli was so much better than staying at a hotel, and easier on the budget, as well. For those who would prefer a home-like setting at a beautiful Florence villa to the more impersonal experience of a hotel, I would high recommend Residence i Colli.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with family
IColliResidence, Responsabile reception at Residence I Colli, responded to this reviewResponded 19 November 2012

Dear Madame,

it was our pleasure to have you and your daughters at Residence I Colli and we wish to thank you for the kind review.
We are happy to read you enjoyed your time here and hope to welcome you again in the near future.
Kind regards,

Reviewed 5 November 2012

Whatever you do, don't stay here! No one is ever there to answer your questions. Don't expect your room to be serviced, ever. Our shower was clogged and we couldn't request service because no one picked up the phone or allowed us to leave messages. Free wifi never worked. Refrigerator didn't work. Dirty linens and musty smelling bed, etc. we were assigned a cottage. Terrible place. Will not stay there again and will advise our travel agent to take them off their list.

Room Tip: How disappointing! I am usually skeptical of what other people write about places, but boy, are they...
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Texasduo1559
IColliResidence, Direttore at Residence I Colli, responded to this reviewResponded 8 November 2012

Dear Sir or Madame,

I'm sorry to say it but it's totally untrue that no one is here to answer our clients questions.
We are a Residence (not an hotel), our reception is open from 9:30 am to 1:30 pm and from 2:30pm to 6 pm, we are always happy to give our clients touristic information and suggestions or to book for them tickets for Florence's museums.
If you have an emergency and need to talk to us outside our office hours, there is an emergency mobile number that you can contact any time, and a member of our staff willing to help if you don't know how to connect to our wi fi or adjust your fridge temperature.
The linens comes from a professional laundry that works for leading hotels in Florence, we are sorry to read your complaint about the sheets and wish to apologies for this, the laundry has been informed.
Best regards,