“A God Send. Stay HERE”

Ranked #328 of 421 Hotels in Florence
California
“A God Send. Stay HERE”
Reviewed 2 June 2009

How do I start...I suppose from the beginning. My boss gave me the hotels phone number. I have worked in Italy for the last 3 years and my time was about up. My adult daughter, her roommate and my best friend were coming and we had never been to Tuscany. This was my last hurrah and I wanted it to be perfect. I emailed Patricia and explained to her that I wanted to stay 4 nights for 5 people (mind you that this is last minute too). I told her that I wanted to see Florence, go to the museums, see a small opera and take a tour that included Montepulciano (they are filming New Moon there and my daughter wanted to see it). Wow, let me tell you...Patricia made reservations for the Ufficia and the Acadamia (a MUST to avoid lines), made reservations for an opera (one lady and a piano in a small church - very nice) and set us up with a day tour that took us to Pienza, Siena, San Giamani, Montepulciano and included a stop for wine tasting too (the tour was a bit much for one day. They have tours that split that up and I suggest that if time allows). From the moment we arrived, I fell for Patricia. She broke out a map and hand drew a walking tour for us, greated us all with graciousness and was so very kind.
Remember I said I made last minute reservations? Well, she had to juggle things and we moved rooms in the middle to make it work. She could have just told me she was booked but she didn't. She went the extra mile for us. I have read all the reviews....and yes the hotel is older. No, it does not have an elevator and yes...the rooms are lofty. So what. If I told you what I paid for 5 people for 4 nights in Florence you would choke on your coffee (I won't say exactly but I can tell you it would have only got me 2 nights anywhere else). But it is not just Patricia and her being a grand, loving, host, it is her whole staff. All of them were so very good to us. When I left I gave her a hug and almost got teary eyed (tough words for an old GI). When I come back to Italy for a vacation, to see all my friends, I will go to Patricia and spend a few nights. It will be like returning to family. The fact that it is near the train station and that there is pay garage next to the hotel made it perfect. I parked the rental van for 4 days and never moved it. You can walk to just about anywhere and when dress is elegant, a taxi is cheap. I highly reccomend you stay with my new friend. Don't go in expecting a 5 star hotel. Go in expecting a 2 star hotel with 5 star tender, loving care. I will take that any day. Thanks Patricia, we will miss you!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Florence
Reviewed 25 May 2009

Patricia, the small hotel owner, is delightful, multilingual and most helpful with
tips for Florence travel. Ask for a room facing the inner courtyard. Enjoy the delicious and generous capuccino with the included breakfast.
You are in for a treat in the way of caring staff, clean and pleasant accomodations in a small hotel within walking distance of everything in Florence. A real gem and real deal! Unbeatable hospitality.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple
VA
Reviewed 21 April 2009

I traveled to Florence with a group of 14 high school students. We were warmly welcomed and well cared for. Patricia and her staff saved us an incredible amount of time and energy by helping us with planning our tours of museums and churches. The hotel is located with great access to a market, an ATM, and a pastry shop. Patricia knows Florence and can give great advice about resteraunts and myriad other things. You have only to ask. This place is a gem. it is clean, safe, and wonderful. I would go back in a second - maybe without the 14 high school students, as wonderful as they were...

1 Thank ldecampc
Virginia
Reviewed 20 April 2009

I traveled to Florence on a school trip with 13 other students and two teachers. We didn't need a fancy, five-star hotel because we were seeing sites every day. However, Hotel Hermes was the perfect place for us! The staff was extremely kind, helpful, and generous, greeting us with a friendly smile whenever we saw them! True, there were a few language boundaries where we had difficulty finding out when mass started, but we made the best of it and laughed about it later! Overall, it was an amazing experience and when I go back to Florence, Hotel Hermes is where I'll stay!

1 Thank Fl0rencel0ver
USA
Reviewed 18 April 2009

I had the good fortune of staying at Hermes this summer past. There I met and befriended Patricia, the owner. As so many reviews state, she is a world class proprietor, serving her clientele in a first class way. Her staff is most helpful, and the hotel, conveniently located to everything Florence, is clean and secure. Financially, Patricia offers very agreeable rates, and I was able to spend yet again 8 days in Florence at a very reasonable rate; this allowed me to spend money in and on other areas in Florence. You don't stay in Hermes for 5 star accommodations; you stay there because it is clean, convenient, and professionally managed. If you want matching decor and "prints" on the walls and thematic designs in the room, pay the extra euro and find THAT hotel. If you want clean, simple and convenient, then I cannot recommend Hotel Hermes enough. It was great the first time. It was even better the second.

England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 April 2009

I can't agree that this is a great place, sadly - the rooms were large, true, and the price, in a ridiculously over-priced city, was not too bad - but the whole thing had a sort of depressing feel to it - cavernous rooms, with bleakly depressing faded prints on the walls (incongrously, English hunting scenes) and a dated little telly. Patricia was pleasant enough, and tried to be helpful - though she gave us wrong info on queues for the museum, and we wasted half a morning as a result. The breakfast was a good addition to an otherwise basic stay. It is handy for both bus and train stations, uit quite a long walk into the heart of the city. We had concerns about how you'd escape if there was a fire - one room was ok; the other would never have passed a fire inspection in the UK!

• Stayed February 2009, travelled with family
3 Thank PoppyMadragora
Durham, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 January 2009

My wife and I stayed at Hotel Hermes for 8 days in December 2008, and were immensely pleased. The price is very reasonable for Florence, and the rooms are more than adequate. The room was good sized by European standards, modestly furnished, and the bathroom small but adequately appointed. Most importantly the rooms were clean and the bed sheets freshly washed and crisp. It is what I call a "barefoot hotel" -- clean enough to walk about in bare feet or socks. If you are looking for a hotel with all the fancy amenities, such as gym, spa, bar and restaurant, or shopping, then Hermes is not for you. But if you are looking for a low cost, clean, excellently located hotel with world class service, then Hermes fits the bill.

Two features deserve special note -- the hotel's location and the owner/operator (Patricia). Others have noted much of what I will say, but it bears repeating. The hotel is perfectly located -- a 10 minute easy walk from the center of town or the central Market, and adjacent to the Santa Maria Novella main train station, local bus terminals, and regional (SITA) bus terminals. It makes it easy to reach other parts of Italy (we went to Milan), or other parts of Tuscany.

After the cleanliness and price (which are important to us), the primary reason to go to Hermes is Patricia - the owner. You go in as a stranger, and truly leave a friend (assuming you take the time to get to know her). She is more than a hotel operator -- she provides excellent advice on restaurants (tailored to your desires and budget), help on arranging tickets for the main attractions, transportation advice, and recommendations on "cool" places to visit in Tuscany. She made excellent recommendations on special foods to try -- which were spot on. In short, Patricia is the hotel owner you WANT to have, but so often DON'T GET.

In short, the Hermes more than met our expectations and we had an enjoyable stay. Highly recommended.

• Liked — Cleanliness, price, location and owner.
  • Disliked — Smallish bathroom
  • Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple