“Top notch service”

Four Seasons Hotel Firenze
Ranked #11 of 411 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 21 September 2013

We're just finishing up a six day stay at the Four Seasons hotel in Florence. Every aspect of the service (friendly, helpful, tons of staff just waiting to help the hotel guests), restaurants (a trattoria in addition to the formal restaurant), room (lots of room, great bed, spacious bathroom, grounds (acres of gardens with fun art along the paths), is as good as it could possibly be. The "free" (included) internet service is a bit slow in some rooms, but plenty fast in the common areas.

Room Tip: Book through a top level travel agent, like Altour, and you'll get free included breakfast (whic...
2  Thank GaryWilliams55
Write a ReviewReviews (1,649)

Reviewed 20 September 2013

Four Seasons is the best hotel chain in the world, and among all the Four Seasons Hotels, Florence is the best. Excellent location, service, atmosphere. Simply the best.
The staff was very attentive. The hotel incredibly beautiful, level of service was beyond compare, rooms were beautiful, clean and comfortable. The rolling blackout shade was whisper quiet and made the room a sanctuary of blissful darkness for a refreshing nights sleep. Very luxurious without being over the top. Food was delicious, presentation was good and service for all of our meals was prompt.

Room Tip: I do not remember the suite we stayed in but anything overlooking the giant garden should be great
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mr73821
Reviewed 20 September 2013

FS Firenze is all the things flagged up by other reviewers. We too were in the Convento wing which almost feels like a separate hotel to the main part the other side of the park. I knew we'd want somewhere to chill after seeing the sights and FS with its splendid park and pool ticked the boxes. Staff were fantastic - our computer broke so the lovely Lisa did the checking in for our return flight and even managed to get our hold luggage added on despite Air France's unhelpful website. Pool staff provide water, fruit drinks, towels etc - every need is catered for, albeit that many come with hefty price tags.
For downsides, leaving aside the cost, the hotel is further away from the main sites than I'd expected. Whilst you walk out of the hotel and see the Duomo straight down the road, it's a 15m walk to the Uffizi and Ponte Vecchio and Florence's cobbles are tough on the feet. I read from another review that they provide a shuttle service but we saw no sign of it. In fact there was very little in the room to tell you what was available, beyond adverts for spa treatments and excursions. The TV in our room had dodgy reception for BBC so our newsfeed came through Al Jazeera and Sky - I've had this problem before though so I suspect it has more to do with BBC than the hotel. The clever gadget for charging phones etc didn't really work but we had adapters anyway.
Finally to consider this hotel without mentioning the huge cost of staying here would, I think, give less than the whole picture. You know when a mini bar Mars Bar is 9 euros that your usual concept of value has been suspended for the duration. If you just want a bed in Florence then this isn't for you: if you want your stay to be an experience in itself then FS starts to look like value.

Room Tip: Convento suite had two big twin beds and a sofa & chair. Big and comfortable space.
2  Thank Munrox
Reviewed 19 September 2013

This was our first stay at the 4S Firenze. It is a breathtaking property. We stayed in the Convento. our room overlooked the most beautiful garden. The Convento is a beautiful building and somewhat more private and quiet than the main hotel located at the opposite end of the property. It's also closer to the center of town. The property is like 2-3 city blocks long. we usually strolled the grounds to get to the main hotel and restaurant but at times were too tired at the end of a long day and had the golf cart take us. they will be there in a second to take you. My pictures can not do this hotel justice. In the main hotel, everywhere you look is jaw dropping. the frescoes... The park grounds are fabulous with sculptures and benches to sit and relax or the hammocks to lay an hour away in. I will only stay at this hotel in Florence from now on. The service was perfect. so kind, polite, friendly... Dimitri in the Grill restaurant is special. he is truly one of a kind. so eager to please. so funny. The 4S hotel should make sure he is kept very happy there. they really should not lose him. Also, Maria the concierge at the main hotel is fabulous.

Our room was beautiful and large. so was the bathroom and closets. His and hers separate closets. perfect!

The breakfast was sublime. we ate dinner at the outdoor grill restaurant twice. everything we had was delicious. my husband said it was the best pizza he had in our entire trip in Italy.

They even delivered to our room a bottle of prosecco and chocolate cake because they realized it was my birthday a few days prior. I can only assume that they figured it out at check in with my passport? It was so kind.

The walk into the center of town is very easy but they also provide shuttle service.

Love, Love, Love this hotel. can't wait to be back!

1  Thank cynthia p
Reviewed 6 September 2013

We stayed here for 4 days on a short vacation break. We are pretty hard to impress when it comes to hotels, but i'd say that the Four Seasons in Florence is a gem. I really was not too sure about what to expect. I try to avoid overly fussy "old fashioned" hotels and try to opt for the more modern and clean feel. The hotel decoration is really not the style I personally prefer, but it really did "work" in this very impressive setting. The entrance from the outside is very low key (similar to the FS in Milan) but nothing else was like the FS in Milan - luckily. Service and amenity wise its closer to FS Geneva (which is really the hotel I measure all FS's to) in the sense that everything was very well thought thru. The staff was obviously professionals, and not new to neither high end hotel business, nor the values of Four Seasons. What I was really impressed with was the gardens and pool area. They are in every way the heart of the hotel, and very much very hard to copy in Florence. I know a lot of people here have commented on the location. In my experience the walk from the hotel to the Arno river is 10 minutes. The roads are a bit bleak and dodgy, but also very authentic and in reality very safe. There are amazing buildings, Palazzos, churches and squares, in every direction and Florence is so small, that you will never really get lost. The local restaurants are excellent as well, an very very cheap compared to the hotel venues. (albeit also very "local").

We tried out room service extensively and the eating venues. We had a minor mishap at one of the breakfast servings and another mishap at one of the lunch servings. Considering the fairly simple foods in question, it shouldn't have happened, but everything was rectified fairly quick. The smaller al fresco restaurant by the pool was my personal favourite. Very simple, but also high quality at the same time. Staff there was generally well trained and very easy to communicate with. We did experience a couple of staff members, that were perhaps new or very local, that messed up a couple of minor things, but in the broader perspective, i'd go again without a doubt.

The Pool area itself was for me brilliant. Small,quiet and certainly well maintained. The poolside service was excellent. I like a more personalized service approach, as many of the "scheduled" events such as coffee/icecream mix, fruit, cold towel, sunglass polish (silly), Cold water spray (even more silly) were a bit mechanical. The general layout of the gardens more than made up for any negatives.

The rooms were, as mentioned before, not really in the design style I personally prefer, but I can appreciate the amount of work put into the designs and furnishings. I did experience a couple of minor hiccups. First of all, the carpet in our junior suite was really past its last sell-by date. It had every imagineable spots on it. Of course it was cleaned (multiple times by the look of it), but the stains were pretty obvious. The bathroom also had a few minor issues. The in-wall shower had some sort of drain issue resulting in a very stale smell. Also a couple of the floor tiles were working themselves loose. Cleaning was "OK", but not on a FS:Geneva or FS:Park Lane level at all. As others have mentioned the staff are "hesitant" at replenishing the various soaps and conditioners, which seemed very out of sync with the FS brand. In my opinion the lack of bath-salts, more "complex" luxury bath products, was a bit of a let-down compared to a lot of other FS properties. In my experience the TV/AV system was sub-par. A lot of the UK/US channels had noticeable lag and broke up badly. Others worked fine. The system seemed to be of an older vintage.

I know a few reviews here have mentioned the location difference between being in the Conventino or the main building. In my opinion the main building did have the very tall ceilings, and full service offerings, but also had a very confusing layout and a very large portion of the rooms had little or no sun (ours had none). It did seem that most of the families with children were over at the Conventino. Personally, I would not hesitate to try the conventino location if you can secure a room with some direct sunlight.

Altogether, the FS:Florence certainly has a lot of the important details right. The location is great, the pool area is great. It has the historical cache, and its a professionally run setup. The issues we experienced were minor, and considering that we are in Italy, I was surprised that the FS management was able to execute such high standards. As with most hotels, there is room to improve, however. We will certainly be back.

1  Thank MorganJ
Reviewed 6 September 2013

The hotel, the park, the staff and service.... simply unsurpassed. Possibly the most magical hotel we have ever stayed in. We stayed in the Convento wing and while smaller than the main building, it is fabulously private and quiet. Worth every penny

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Philipp N
FSFlorence, Public Relations Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Firenze, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

Dear Guest,

It is a pleasure for us to read your words emphasizing our hotel amenities, expecially the Conventino, a formed villa of the 15° century, converted into a convent in the 16° century. It is undoubtedly the most "magical" part of the urban resort we are proud to run.

The Conventino is intimate and private and, as you highlighted, an oasis of peace and tranquillity where feeling pampered and looked after by our attentive staff.

Looking forward to welcoming you back in the near future I send you my best regards.

Reviewed 5 September 2013

A great choice, particularly for families. Could not have a more perfect location. Rooms are luxurious (maybe a bit too "renaissance" for our taste, but very, very nice nonetheless and very spacious). The pool is a beautiful and we made great use of it as a nice break from all the other activities Florence has to offer. Not as flexible with breakfast timing as some of the other hotels we stayed in on this trip, but then much larger as well so it is understandable. The Concierge at the hotel was truly excellent. The restaurant recommendations were top notch, particularly when we were able to talk about the options instead of relying solely on the handout provided. The recommended guides, help with transport options and just generally dealing with us and making us happy was terrific. Staff went out of their way to ensure the whole family was taken care of - even led us up to the cuppola to watch fireworks. If I have one complaint, it is the bill. It's not that it's expensive (the hotel is expensive, but not as expensive as other comparable options or even as expensive as some other hotels we stayed in on this trip), but that there were a lot of little things that came up on the bill that I did not expect. I did not really notice this at the time we checked out because we were late and rushed, but I did notice it later. It's my own fault for not raising it with the hotel when we were there. It is, however, the only hotel we stayed in on this trip where I'm left with this lingering feeling. That said, I would still recommend the hotel very highly. The combination it offers is hard to beat in Florence.

Room Tip: for families, adjoining rooms are a must given the size of the hotel. Our overlooked the street. T...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family