“Best Hotel in the world”

Four Seasons Hotel Firenze
Ranked #11 of 422 Hotels in Florence
london
“Best Hotel in the world”
Reviewed 15 July 2008

We have been lucky enough to stay in many of the best hotels in the world, and this just tops all of them. This IS the best hotel in the world!
I will not bore you with superlatives, just take it from me that everything is perfect.
One tip if you are staying there. Take a lift to the first floor and just wander around the corridors. Wow.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rioruss

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
dallas
Reviewed 12 July 2008

My husband and I checked into the Fours Seasons Florence after our A/C didnt work in another hotel. Our goal was to find a cool room as the weather was so hot, but what we got was so much more than expected!

Best Four Seasons I have ever seen! Where do I begin? First of all we didnt know that it had only been open for a week so we were like kids running around exploring the virgin hotel, rooms and grounds. The hotel is beautifully decorated but still has the ceiling and floors from the 14th century building/home that it was.

Our room: beautiful, great shower, large bath, comfy bed, they even had Fox News which made my husband happy.

The grounds: huge!!! We walked around at midnight after dinner and it is so romantic with beautiful lighting and grounds.

We only had breakfast in the "purple" room that we served to perfection!

The staff: this is where they really set themselves apart from all the other 5 star hotels we stayed in on our trip (although Hotel Caruso is right there with them). Barbara in concierge helped us so much and with such a pleasant style. She made a reservation for us at the Hotel Caruso for dinner but we ended up staying there and everyone knew Barbara!. Paul, also in concierge hopped on his motorcyle and went to get a jacket that a store owner wouldnt deliver - no questions asked. Thank you both for all your help!

The pool: Well as we had the pool to ourselves, the service was also fabulous. In the first 10 minutes, they bring us a cool towel, in the next 10 minutes, we got fresh cold fruit treats.... all with a big welcoming smile.

We LOVED it and cant wait to return - you will too!

• Liked — The service
  • Disliked — loved everything
3 Thank docjennings
Massachusetts
Reviewed 11 July 2008

My husband and I had the good fortune of staying at this lovely property during its soft opening at the end of June. Upon arrival the staff swarmed our taxi whisking away our luggage and asking questions to the point where my husband couldn't even close out our business with the taxi driver. The staff was very eager to assist! Upon check-in we were upgraded to a deluxe room. The rooms look exactly as pictured on the Four Season's website. Our room had a view the garden which is situated at the rear of the hotel so street noise was not an issue. I don't believe there were other guests in the nearby rooms so it's hard to tell how sound proofed the rooms are.

We were told by one of the employees that this property is a former palazzo that had been privately owned by some Italian business and the Four Season's purchased it several years ago and has been renovating it for many years! The previous business had painted many of the walls with white paint directly over several frescoes. The Four Season's has restored the walls to what looks like museum quality. You really feel like you're in a museum when you're in several of the public areas---especially the entry where there is a replica statue and the walls and ceiling are covered in frescoes. It's simply amazing! Additionally, one unique thing I noticed is that the employees seem genuinely proud of the hotel and proud to work there. If they notice you looking at some of the art or frescoes they will stop what they're doing and come right over to tell you about what you're looking at and attempt to answer questions.

There is also a lovely spa, fitness and pool area at the back of the hotel among the gardens. When you're in this area you would never imagine you're in Florence or a city for that matter! It really felt like you're at an elegant resort instead away from any city.

Since we arrived prior to their official opening they did not have any special "packages" available so all food was a-la-carte. We did not have dinner at the hotel but, we did have breakfast one morning and although it was good, it was extrodinarily expensive! We just had juice and coffee. I had French Toast and my husband had Irish Oatmeal. Although the food was very good, the bill came to about $75EU so after converting to USD, I consider that quite excessive for breakfast.

Prior to our arrival, the concierge staff had booked 2 dinner reservations per my request. I had actually done my own research so I wasn't using them for recommendations but, I noticed that the two restaurants I had selected were on their list of restaurant recommendations. When the concierge forwarded me our confirmations by email, she also sent along their listing of restaurant recommendations for some reason. Other than the dining reservations we had them make, we didn't use the concierge for anything while we were there so I can't comment on them otherwise.

The only real negative I could find is the location of the hotel compared with other high end hotels such at the Lungarno Hotels. As the previous reviewer mentioned, the Four Season's is not right in the heart of things. It's about a good 15-20 minute walk to the Duomo and other tourist sites. I knew that before booking the hotel so I can't say that this was a surprise. I really don't like the street the hotel is on. Especially at night because it's narrow, not well lit and there were some strange characters lurking. Even with that said, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend the hotel because it's such a unique property, especially within a city. If you have the good fortune to stay here, I'm sure you will love it despite the location!

• Liked — The property is beautiful and unique especially for a city. The rooms are very nice, comfy beds and the staff is helpful and eager to please!
  • Disliked — Location is a bit out of the way
3 Thank Squeaky781
New York City
Reviewed 11 July 2008

The Four Seasons has done it again. First on location: I think it is perfect. It is a ten minute walk outside of the main tourist attractions of Florence which adds some peace and serenity to the place without being too far away.

The gardens are some of the most spectacular that any hotel could own. There are beautiful works of art everywhere. The ceilings are ornate and beautiful. There are important and lovely frescoes, paintings and sculptures.

The bedrooms are utterly sumptuous with big closets and bathrooms. The bed linens and pillows are incredible and classy. The ceilings are high and slightly arched.

The carpeting again is of the highest quality. Even the wooden floors--which are new--are obviously expensive, high quality floors.

We fully expected some hiccoughs given that the hotel has only been open a few weeks, but we found nothing. The concierge staff was very helpful and kind.

There are spectacular features in this hotel that we have found in no other. The remarkable courtyard with frescoed walls, the lovely bar area with gorgeous, inviting curtains to encase the sitting area, he lavender colored breakfast and sitting area.

There are minor areas for improvement, but they are hardly worth mentioning. For example, the maids come too early to turn down the beds and some of the staff, while sweet and good intentioned, are still learning their job.

While this is an expensive hotel, you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2008
3 Thank laabis
Firenze
Reviewed 19 June 2008

I apologise for any errors.

THE ONLY DEFECTS:

-The hotel is not absolutely in a central position. (forget any type of Boutique near the hotel).
-the Palazzo seen from the outside is impressive but not beautiful.
-the garden as very pretty and immense is attached to a road very busy so no feel whistle birds, but the traffic noise in the background.
-the standard rooms are very dear, the 750 euro per night when the value in relation to other Hotel and what offer is a maximum of 400 euro.

THE QUALITIES
-Tthe luxury of unbridled common spaces without similar in a hotel in Italy.
-The restaurant excelled.

STORY
I had the pleasure to be the first day of opening to the public on 15 June 2008 and was really exciting.
The staff is impeccable, certainly at the height to satisfy the most demanding of guests. arrived in taxi (about 7 euro from the Duomo (25 minutes walk)) a porter the hotel with a beautiful divided and with a refined emphasis English there opens the door, so two goalkeepers there open two imposing doors giving access to a marvellous four seasons.
250worker
4 hectares of garden rooms
20 room already available
79 THE TOTAL NUMBER OF ROOMS from 1 July
Paintings, textiles, tapestries, sofas, Console, floors, low hills, statues, flowers, small rooms, chapels, Details, DETAILS, details of a high value worthy of a hotel to 7 stars.
Everything is on the top. We move immediately to the restaurant because they were the 14: 30 and closed at 15.00.
The refinement from the giant chandeliers in to the Chairs impressive.
by the High Windows one sees the start of a delicious well kept garden.
The menu offers 3 appetizers first 3 2 soups 3 seconds of meat 3 seconds of fish (prices of the 25 to 40 Euro dish) excellent wine list and service.
The taste is very developed and refined style cuisine which have the restaurants with an evaluation of a Michelin Star.
Therefore amazing location and more than fair kitchen.
At this point we pass on to check-in, where we are greeted by staff very very very kind.
US accompanied in the room from an exquisite girl there from some clarification on the importance of the palace of the family Count Ugolino Della Gherardesca of the XIV century.
The room is like the Photo considerably great AT THE PRICE OF 750 euro. The Park out is very large and well looked after. An important team was preparing an event for Corneliani THAT AT PITTI man 2008 organized fashion.
The swimming pool is very beautiful, yet in software the wellness center.

FURTHER CLARIFICATION!

• Liked — The Retaurant end The lobby
  • Disliked — The location, to far from the Duomo and Ponte Vecchio
8 Thank marcopieri