“Upsetting”

Four Seasons Hotel Firenze
Ranked #9 of 409 Hotels in Florence
Reviewed 10 October 2013 via mobile

I am a Four Seasons fanatic - yet the service received after being at Four Seasons Park Lane just does not compare. Upsetting since I only stay at Four Seasons in London, Bali, Mumbai, Thailand (Bangkok and Koi Samui), Hong Kong and Mauritius. Italy for me was a serious let down - makes me question my selection of hotel. Brought my wife to four seasons thinking it was the best yet was seriously disappointed - Firenze u let down......

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Grant M
FSFlorence, General Manager at Four Seasons Hotel Firenze, responded to this reviewResponded 14 October 2013

Dear Guest,

Further to your post and your recent stay at our Four Seasons Hotel Firenze, let me express my most sincere apologies.

I am deeply sorry to read that you did not have a disappointing experience and I kindly invite you to contact me personally, in order to give me some more details of the negative incidents that have occurred.

Our guests' feedback is in fact an excellent mean for us to improve our level of service.

Looking forward to receiving your e-mail and take internal corrective actions, I send you my best personal regards.

Patrizio Cipollini

Reviewed 9 October 2013

We are not as well traveled as some, but this property is just too nice. From service to room to concierge - perfect.

If in Florence, stay here period (if you have the means). It is quite expensive but what is not in Italy? Wonderful shuttle to town if you do not or cannot walk a long way.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank advsrbill
Reviewed 9 October 2013

We have stayed at many Four Season all over the world but this one was disappointing for a few reasons. Do not get me wrong, this is a beautiful location but when in Italy you want to feel Italy. Not one working here is Italian. They are from all over the world and they all speak good English but if you speak Italian you want to speak in Italian when you are in Italy. The workers were friendly enough but not one spoke Italian very well. In fact, our Italian was better. The rooms are your typical Four Seasons rooms. The rooms could be in Georgetown or Philadelphia. However, the gardens were beautiful and Italian. The rooms are comfortable with large bathrooms. I did find the bed extremely hard which is fairly normal for Italy but for 1,000 Euro per night, I expect a softer bed.

You do not tip in Italy only if you want to but every bill had a spot for you at add a gratuity. I found this offensive. We have been traveling in Italy for over 30 years and my husband lived here for one year and never have we been asked or had a spot for a gratuity except at a restaurant on the Via Veneto in Rome. Since there are a lot of Americans here, I think they think they can get away with this. Shame on the Four Seasons!

This is an expensive hotel but the price of food is outrageous. 42 euro for an omelet and it was not an exceptional omelet. I do not mind paying high prices but I expect nothing but the best if I am spending a lot of money.

Also beware that if you open t he windows to your room and you face the gardens except Mosquitos. We like to sleep with the windows open to get fresh air and our room was filled with Mosquitos and we got many bites.

This hotel is not close to the sites mir shopping. It is a hike. 18 min walk to the Duomo, 30 minutes to the Ponte Vicchio. The website says 10 mins to the Duomo and 15 minutes to the Ponte Vicchio. I am a running and a cyclist so I am a fast walker. The hotel does have a shuttle but it does not start until 10:30 am. I am an early riser so it was of no value to me.

I hated to give the review. I did as I really like the Four Seasons Hotels. However, I was very disappointed in this one. I am sure if this is your first time in Italy and you are unsure of yourself, this hotel would bring comfort. But for a Seasoned traveller I expect more local culture and flare like the Four Seasons in Istanbul.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Chiili
Reviewed 8 October 2013

There's a certain feeling that come's with staying at Four Season's Florence. Knowing that you're in the right place and there's nowhere else you'd rather be. This hotel offers the complete experience and actually enhances the enjoyment of Florence itself.
We stayed for six days in October and it was over far too soon. The hotel consists of two buildings on either side of an 11 acre formal enclosed garden - the largest private garden in Florence. Many of the reviewers have indicated a preference for the Palazzo Gherardesca or "main" building. We had the opportunity of inspecting three suites at the time of check in and chose a suite in the Conventino side. This side is somewhat smaller but more private and has much better views of the garden. The suites seem larger and better proportioned. The Gherardesca side feels like a five star hotel; the Conventino side feels like your five star home.
In any event, a short walk (or golf cart ride) across the beautiful garden connects the two sides with the spa, pool, gym complex in between.
I hesitate to use the term "staff' at Four Season's Florence since they seem more like colleagues or friends. Every need was anticipated and dealt with professionally and efficiently. A special mention for Lisa in Guest Relations who was truly special and handled some of our requests even after we had checked out.
We have stayed at several Four Season's hotels around the world and Four Season's Florence would rate as the best among them.

Room Tip: The Conventino side is quieter, more private with better garden views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Templars
Reviewed 8 October 2013

I took my time on this one, because it was so wonderful. The check in was smooth and quick. The Hotel is on 11 Acres and has 2 buildings. We stayed in the smaller building, and we loved it. The only drawback that most of the restaurants and bars are in the larger building, but it is a three minute walk through some very beautiful gardens, and really makes you appreciate the beauty of the property. I think if I would have stayed in the large building I would have never walked the grounds like I did.

Breakfast was spectacular. I lost all the names of the breakfast staff but I want to CONGRATULATE them all, as I have never seen such a team work with each other, like this. They where accommodating, thoughtful and really wanting to take care of what you needed. They where just great people to talk too at 7AM. I think the management team should be proud of all their staff, but I especially wanted to draw their attention to this group as they really made an impression on us. I took their names down and lost the PAPER SORRY. Food was great and juices where delicious.

Hotel room was 710 was Spectacular, view of garden, and overall condition. CLEAN, and a very large closet.

Al Fresco, WOW go and eat the Barbecue STEAKS, WOW. I eat at some great steakhouse throughout my travels and at home, but my wife agrees, this was the best steak we have ever had. The service here was also special. I don’t remember the gentlemen, but one of his friends is on the breakfast crew, he was very nice, helpful and just friendly all the time. FOOD WAS GREAT, I know you think by the POOL, this is a world class FOOD SPOT.
Lobby Bar was nice and the folks their where also helpful and nice. Drinks where adequate. Concierge service was great. The gentlemen that I drove crazy with request was always helpful and made the changes I needed. They also worked well with each other and all my cars and request where prompt and fulfilled without any headaches. They did a car for us from Florence to ROMA with a stop at a winery and the driver was GREAT. THANK YOU

Never ate at their HIGH end restaurant, when I tried they told me they had no reservation even with all the tables empty. I am glad they did because AL FRESCO became my new eating place.
Atrium BAR Luca Angeli was great. He helped us with drinks and small talk, and really cared about his area and team. Congratulations LUCA.

Spa was always busy, so you may want to get more help. We where not able to get any body treatments, but they where friendly. I was OK with it as I got to go and sit at the Atrium BAR while my wife did her hair, at the spa, this young lady was great.

Ok so YES FOUR SEASONS be very proud of this HOTEL, it has to be one of your very best. I know I always rave about the Four Season in BORA BORA, but I was really taken back by the great people we met and the incredible service they provided us.

Distance is not an issue, and I guarantee you stay here and eat the steak.

Room Tip: 710 great view of the gardens SMALL BUILDING
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Eddie S
Reviewed 8 October 2013

Me and my now fiancé stayed at this hotel for a couple of nights. It is the most stunning hotel I have seen anywhere in the world. We were lucky enough to stay in one of suites, which was an amazing room with a beautiful bathroom and frescos on the ceiling. It overlooked into the private gardens that are full of unique artwork. The staff helped to make the proposal the best it could be, and were friendly and helpful throughout our stay. I had a facial and my fiancé had a massage at the spa. The facial was the best I have ever had. We also ate in the bar and restaurant a number of time with the food always being perfect and great wine recommendations. Overall the best four days I have ever had and I cannot recommend this hotel enough!

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Katherine_1988
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Awesome hotel and staff cannot go wrong staying here. Incredible food, restaurants,spa, room service, A/C , room decorations, you will have to look hard to find anything wrong with this hotel! Maid service, laundry service, location is all the best.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple