“The best hotel iv ever stayed in” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Firenze

Four Seasons Hotel Firenze
Ranked #8 of 421 Hotels in Florence
Whittington, United Kingdom
“The best hotel iv ever stayed in”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2010

This truly is the most amazing hotel. from the moment you arrive to the moment you leave.
we asked for a junior suite with a balcony but on arrival we were advised that only 3 of the rooms had a balcony and were no available. We were upgraded to a parlour suite with large windows overlooking the very beautiful garden and didn't need to ask.
The food was exquisite and the service first class. Who ever we spoke to seemed genuinely friendly and nothing was too much trouble.
My wife is a vegetarian and although there were meals on the menu that she could have chosen the chef was only too happy to change the ingredients and on 2 occasions made something special for her.
The concierge was more than helpful and directed to most amazing villa overlooking the whole of Florence for lunch.
Its about a 20 Min. walk from the heart of Florence but the private transfer shuttles you to and from the centre every hour.
If you stay in just one hotel this year stay here you will not be disappointed
Tony and Cathy.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tonyvaughan11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2010

Stayed here for a week in early September 2010, and thoroughly enjoyed my stay. I was staying in a junior suite, which was enormous and overlooked the hotel gardens. Service was excellent, received complimentary bottle of prosecco on arrival.

Concierge arranged great museum trips, restaurant reservations and train tickets to Siena. Also were very subtle and relaxed for a super luxurious 5* hotel.

Food was excellent, the main restaurant is in great location with nice outdoor terrace. Ate breakfast here every morning, and dinner on two occasions. Great food, great wine and good service. The 'Al Fresco' restaurant is great during the day, informal, light food and poolside.

Hotel is expensive, but there is no better alternative in Florence

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank frankyboy800
Dallas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2010

My husband and I stayed at the Four Seasons in late September of 2010 -- truly an enjoyable stay. We were pleasantly surprised on check-in with an upgrade to a beautiful suite overlooking the park (room 307). The suite had a good sized living room, a comfortable bedroom and a huge bathroom. I really appreciated all the light coming into the room from the wall of windows == spectacular.

The hotel is beautiful inside and out but what makes this hotel stand above most other hotels in Florence is the staff! They went out of there way to make sure that each of our requests was fulfilled completely. They organized a car and driver to take us into the Chianti region, arranged our tickets to the museums, and even directed us along some wonderful walking paths. Could I have arranged these items on my own? Yes but this did make it so easy and convenient for me and that is exactly what I wanted on this particular vacation.

The food was good but not great. We ate breakfast each morning at hotel and dinner one night. There is much better to be had in Florence so save the expense of these meals and head into the neighborhood for some gems.

2 Thank brooksz
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 September 2010

The atmosphere of the Four Seasons is nothing short of stunning with exquisitely painted ceilings, art everywhere and extensive gardens. This was our first trip to Florence together and the hotel was just a delightful way to keep in the mood of fine art and regal surroundings. Our suite was marble floors, huge tub and opulent furnishings. Fabulous spa using recipes from the 13th century, amazing botanical gardens and discreet service make you feel like a princess!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank TeslaGirl_10
London SW1
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 September 2010

Our second visit. We were welcomed back like old friends. It may have over 100 rooms but everyone is treated as if they are special, and if there are functions taking place they are well away from the main hotel.
The palazzo and gardens are amazing and you could be forgiven for not leaving the hotel and its fabulous grounds. The spa is an oasis of calm and the food is simple, elegant Italian. For a city hotel the rooms are big and beautiful. It's worth spending the money on a junior suite with a view overlooking the gardens.
Quite simply we think its the best hotel in the world.

2 Thank JandJF
Paris, France
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2010

Brief Bacground: This is my second stay in year at this hotel. I am well-travelled, well-educated, dress respectfully and elegantly, have been a totally loyal Four Seasons customer for many years. And...the General Manager, Mr. Cipollini, was going to "see to it" personally that we had a wonderful time! Last year, we arrived in Florence and called the FS Florence from the lobby of another hotel (which we hated) to ask (literally on the spot) if they had any accommodations available for my husband, son and me. They were able to offer us a Four Seasons Room at 800 EUR per night. We took it and arrived fifteen minutes later.

When we arrived, Nathan, the front office manager, greeted us warmly and asked us to have a seat in the bar while they put the finishing touches on our room and offered us complimentary drinks. As our reservation had only been made within moments of our arrival, we understood that the hotel had only a few rooms available and that the onlyaccommodation they could offer to us had one slight drawback:it faced Borgo Pinti instead of the Park. However, when we were finally shown to our room, it was lovely. Although the dimensions of the sleeping quarters were a tad snug, there was still enough room for a huge bed, desk, sofa and cofee table, etc. There was a huge entry way with loads of closets, two huge windows overlooking the street that allowed the sunlight to pour in and an enormous bath witha free-standing tub....so a step above the usual FS baths. But my, oh, my! The amenties we found in the room said: Welcome, honored guest, we are so glad to have you~ There was a platter of chocolates and buscuits, a huge fruit latter, a tray of French Macaroons, fresh figs, flowers and a large plate of treats for our son. (N.B., my son has travelled to Europe on many occasions and is extremely well-behaved, has fine manners and is never a "loud obnoxious" kis that trip advisor commentors are usually complaining about. So none of us caused the hotel to be "embarrased" or cringe with the the sterotypical "ugly rich Americans who have an overblown sense of entitlement. I may have many flaws but I always see to it that my family is gracious, polite at all times, ask of the staff instead of thoughtlessly demanding of the staff, etc.....you get the idea. The year prior to this stay (which was August 2009), we came to Florence and stayed at The Grand Hotel. However, only for my birthday did we go over to the FS Florence (August 2008). At that point they treated me and my two adult daughters (it was just the tree "girls" on that trip) like royalty....and we were not even guests of the hotel. We were treated to complimentary champagne, special appetizers prepared by Chef Vito, gratis. We were effused over and I was almost embarrased by the super treatment we received. Waiter after waiter paraded food and wine for us...all toppped off by a spectacular birthday cake (in addition to the desserts we ordered) that the staff insisted we take with us (back to our other hotel). (Of course, we left the cake for the staff to enjoy). It was one of the most memorable evenings ever.
Getting back to last summer...we stayed five nights in our FS Room (800 Euro, as I mentioned). We only ate a few meals at the restaurant and no breakfasts in order to keep our bill from being stratospherically high (we were travelling for a month), but we enjoyed the bar and the pool and spectacular service. During our stay, we met Mr. cipollini who took a particular like to our son. He treated our son to an endless parade of treats. And he was most gracious to us as well. Every time he saw us in the bar, he would come over, and tell the bartender to please make us some fresh peach Bellinis, with his compliments. Every night we would return to our room and find more treats. A bowl of fresh peaches, a plate of figs. One evening we were presented with a small bottle of fine sherry and a platter of biscotti. We felt like celebrities. My son and husband enjoyed the pool and the kindness of the staff. When we finally had to leave, the concierge arranged for a porter to meet us at the train station to help us put our luggage on the train. In Florence, one needs to order a porter in advance; and then the charge is relatively small.
THIS YEAR!!!! We made our reservation through Platinum Amex. I reserved a four Seasons Executive Suite at the rate of 1250 Euros per night, which comes with the P;atinum Amex Fine Hotels and Resorts amenities. These amenties include a FREE upgrade upon arrival, if available, and free continental or buffet breakfast each day for two people. This fairly large spacious suite is one room category below the Gallery Suite.. I also made it very clear to the reservationist and to the members of the FS Florence staff that I really very much wanted a room facing the gardens or the Park. When the FS reservations staff at the hotel realized that only my son and I were coming alone, they suggested that the Gallery Suite would be more beautiful, but smaller: the idea being that the Executive one bedroom suite would be large for just my son and me, but the Gallery Suites, were one-of-a-kind accomodations with original frescos, etc. The Gallery Suite picutred on their website appears as if the suite overlooks a garden, is very light and bright and has a balcony. I told the reservations person that such a room would be lovely and I hoped that it would be available for an "upgrade" when I got there. The Gallery Suite really can only accomodate two people comfortably because it is really just one large room with a hall and a bathroom. there is no separate living room nor is there a sofa bed nor is there a powder room. the rack rate for this Gallery Suite is 2000 Euros per night. Since one cannot be guaranteed an upgrade on the Platinum Amex Fine Hotels programs, I asked the director of reservations if the hotel could charge me 1500 Euros a night instead of the 1250 Euros for the type of accomodation I booked in order to "guarantee" the upgrade. They admitted it looked "good" that I would be able to get the upgrade anyway. The FS Florence told me to leave my reservation in place with Platinum Amex for the 1250 for the Executive Suite "in order to preserve the integrity of their rates" and we would have a little side arrangement for the 1500 Euros per night. In addition, I was supposed to get the breakfast, and upgrade if available (and late checkout and spa credit...neither of which I needed).

When my son and I arrived, we were shown to this Gallery Suite for which we were to pay an additional 250 Euro per night (even though it would have cost us nothing if we had taken our chances for the upgrade as per the Amex plan). A;though the Suite is beautiful in terms of equisite historical and artisitc qualities, it was extremely dark. There was no ambient light from the sole window in the room: the window faced the street and not the park and it was hidden behind heavy drapery. The area where the closets are is a dark hall with no light whatsoever. The walls are dark bottle green and all the furniture is black. The lamps have black shades and because of the frescoes on the ceilings, there are no hanging chandeliers (which is understandable). Although the room was unquestionably stunning, it was just way to dark and overwhelming in its dark, atomospheric decor and total lack of adequate lighting. I was alos shocked beyond words when I saw no amenties of the kind that we had been laden with last year. Only a generic bowl of fruit hidden in a dark corner of the very dark dressing/closet area. Similarly, I was shocked that they refused to honor the Platinum Amex reservation: even though they clearly told me to leave the reservation in place, they told me that I was not entitled to any of the amentiies since they had made a "special price" for the room.
In any event, within ten minutes of aarriving in the room, I called to tell them the room was tooo dark and just not suitable. Even the closets had very little light inside. The closets were actually mahogony cupboards with little pin spots.) since I wear only black clothes and everything was black I couldnt even see to unpack!. I was told by the front office that the hotel was totally sold out and there was not another room to be had. I told them to please try to find me something because I couldn't stand the room. They only showed me two other rooms that were a category above the category i was in. They told me that I would have to pay 2500 Euro per night for the other choices. I told them that my absolute limit was 2000 per night (and I was staying for five nights). And then they said: fine...you can have the room for 2000 Euros, not including tax and not including breakfast. I didn't even want these larger, more expensive suites. They were ludicrously large for my son and me. I begged them to put us in the same "lowly" four season room that I had last year and I would still pay the 1500 Euro per night. I asked them to upgrade to the Gallery Suite any other couple in any lower room category and I would pay the difference, but they wouldn't do that either. So my son and I had no choice but to occupy a 3,000 square foot suite that had an upstairs penthouse loft sitting room in addition to an enormous living room and enormous bedroom and loads of long hallways, closets, bars, tables, entry hall and two bathrooms.
Once it was known, I suppose, around the hotel, that we were "poachers" living the high life for a mere 2000 Euro (net) per night, we were treated like the second class citizens.We received no amenties in our room of any kind....except twice they left a plate of four or five madelines with marmelade on our coffee table, at night, after dinner. I know they are a staple of their breakfast buffet (and perhaps at tea time?). so clearly these were left overs. No plate of cookies, or figs or fruit or any of the other tasty treats we enjoyed last time. Each night, my son and I ate dinner in their restaurant. We ordered as if we were two adults....,y son always ordered an entree off the adult menu as well as an appetizer. Not once did the sommelier ever waste his time coming over to our table even though in the previous two years that we had eaten there he spent much time helping me decide on just a GLASS of wine, let alone a bottle. When I took dinner in the bar on one or two evenings, we ordered from the restaurant menu. Chef Vito came out and made sure we were happy with our meal. I was the lone person eating in the bar; it boggles my mind that a woman alone (dressed appropriately for an elegant dinner) travelling with a child received no cosseting at the hands of the staff. That is, when my son ran off after dinner to play on the computer and I was drinking my coffee that I was not even offered an after dinner drink or second coffee or anything "on the house." Under the circumstances, I find it shocking that the staff would not have appreciated that I took every single meal at the hotel...did not dine out even once and ate all our breakfasts and lunches at the hotel too. I was never offered an aperitif compliments of the manager, as my family had been offered several times just the past year. My son was never offered milk and cookies or a gelato (which is par for the course for chldren at all Four Seasons hotels). There was never a treat for him (or me). The housekeeper couldn't even replenish the waters (complimentary at turn-down). At the pool, when we asked for two chaises by the pool, we asked for two specific chaises that had little canopies on them. The pool attendant told me they were taken, and he sat us somewhere inconvenient and way less pleasing. I had gotten up to get a towel when the next few people arrived and also asked for chaises and pointed to the very ones I was told were occupied....the pool attendant gave the chaises to these people. At breakfast, we chose to eat indoors one chilly morning. We were surrounded by a sea of filthy tables...the table next to ours had the remnants of runny poached eggs on the cloth and spilled orange juice. The table on the other side still had all the dirty dishes. The wait staff, which was primarily serving diners seated outside, wizzed by us shouting orders into the kitchen. I felt as if we were kitchen staff...told to grab a seat and get a few things off the buffet. We were not attended to in nearly the same manner that any of the other guests were treated. At lunch, we waited forever for our food, while we saw several waiters fuss endlessly over a table of eight guests. We were just ignored. When our food finally arrived it was cold, but we couldn't get the attention of the wait staff so we ignored the proble,. Even at dinner.....every other guest received a little plate of chocolates with their bill at the end of the meal....a little treat which is common in expensive, classic restaurants. We were literally the only table that did not receive a little platter of these treats when the bill came. I was shocked.
I could go on and on. (I know...I already have gone on and on).
But one last thing. the day or two prior to our departure, I asked the concierge if he could arrange for a porter at the Florence train station to help me with my bags just like they had done for me the year before. He told me he couldn't do it: he claimed there were no "reliable" porters in Florence. He then offered me, for the price of 50 Euros!!! to have a "private" porter place my bags on the train. The two TGV tickets for my son and me to travel to our next destination cost 90 Euro and he expected me to pay 50 Euro for a porter to put three suitcases on a train. When I told him "no thanks", he called me an hour later and told me they could do it for the special price of 30 Euros. Again, I said no. When I was getting ready to leave, about one hour before my train was due to depart, some staff member came up to me and told me I was leaving "too early". I was so furious by the way we had been treated for our bargain basement price of over 15,000 Euro for our five-night stay, that I told him I would rather wait in the train station than in the hotel lobby (don't forget, they had unilaterally rescinded our Platinum Amex "perk" which would have allowed us a late checkout). He than proceeded to implore me to wait so I could have the man helpme with my bags at the train station. I told him I had told the concierge that I did not want the "private" porter service at 50 Euro or at 30 Euro. He told me; OH NO, the service is free. We are hppy to go with you in the taxi and put your bags on the train if you would leave just in time to get on your train. I told them never mind, I would manage.
Well, once I got in the cab, Mr. Cipollini, the Gerneral Manger, ran out of the hotel down the steps, as if to find out where I was going, or possibly to say good-bye. But as I told the cashier who asked me if I enjoyed my stay, I would rather sleep in the train station on a bench than return to the hotel that charged me afortune and made me feel totally unwelcome. The spectacular beauty of the hotel, and our suite, cannot be denied. It was outstanding. But we were treated so wretchedly, especially in proportion to the amount we were charged for the accomodations we didn't even want. I would have been more comfortable in a regular room and paid double for it, than occupy a suite that was meant for a family, or perhaps for a very important executive who needed the additional space of a second, upstairs living room. It was ridiculous for them to force this accomodation on us, charge us 500 Euro over and above what we were originally charged (which was already 250 Euro over the Amex Platinum rack rate for the room category we booked). If I had been with any one other than my son, who finds confrontations and changing hotels upsetting, I would have left the hotel the moment it claimed it could not find me a different accomodation. Clearly, these outrageously large suites are not necessarily the easiest to sell, so they strong-armed us into taking one, claiming they could not accomodate us in any other type of room category when there was an endless stream of guests checking in and out over the days we were there. I am sure one couple would have been glad to be upgraded at my expense to a "specialty suite" in exchange for an ordinary room.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
44 Thank Dancemacabre
Chester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

Had a fabulous room (having been upgraded on check-in). The decor throughout the hotel is lovely so I;m sure all the other rooms are great too. The hotel was a little away from the main city centre, though well within walking distance. The staff were all very obliging but the hotel felt a little 'style over substance', eg breakfasts cooked to order but served cold, juice offered but then not provided - these were isolated incidents but, given the very high prices charged throughout the hotel, we'd have expected better. Internet access cost 22 Euros per day - when you're paying 900 Euros per day B&B, one would've thought you'd get free internet access!

• 2 of 5 bubbles