“A reason alone to return to Florence!”

Ristorante Buca Mario
Ranked #159 of 2,872 Restaurants in Florence
Price range: US$57 - US$86
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Neighbourhood: Santa Maria Novella
Reviewed 6 June 2014

Booked this restaurant through our very good hotel (Golden Tower) and what a wonderful restaurant it is. I was a little worried when our waiter introduced himself as 'Nando' my worst nightmare in restaurants! Nando though was the best waiter you could wish for, very attentive and a great host. The food was doubly excellent. If I had one choice to add something to the restaurant I would add some candles to the table to add a little to the atmosphere but I do appreciate that fire regulations may prevent this. We will definitely be back even if we have to come to Florence especially!
Great value for money, great service and the food was absolutely top notch.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,240)

Reviewed 1 June 2014

The food here is delicious and the ambiance is fantastic. They even give you a little apron when you leave. Highly recommend!

Reviewed 1 June 2014 via mobile

Good atmosphere and service but unfortunately compared to all the meals I had in Italy, this ranks average. We had the T-bone steak and seafood spaghetti. Suffice to say I've had better in many places.

Reviewed 31 May 2014

The only problem with Buca Mario is finding the restaurant. Although it looks small, it is quite large and has several small rooms to accommodate groups. The food was wonderful, I had veal dish and my wife had white fish, both perfect. The atmosphere and waiters add to the pleasure of the meal. A member of our group was tipped off about the restaurant by a New York Chef. Best dining experience of our trip which says a lot because we had no bad meals.

Reviewed 30 May 2014

This restaurant was highly recommended by our tour guide and did not disappoint. It's fairly inconspicuous from the street, with just a small sign and a small window. Step inside and down a few steps into the dining area, however, and you immediately realize that you are about the experience the "real deal". The place is relatively large, but there are several distinct small "rooms" that make it feel much more intimate. The staff was incredible, including the wine steward, who asked a few questions and then came up with a spot on recommendation (others in our group who ate there had the same experience) and our waiter, who was very good at making sure we enjoyed the full experience. Oh yeah, the food was incredible too! My wife's sea bass and my pasta were both cooked to perfection and the dessert was a nice indulgence. The place has been in business since 1886 and, if our visit is any indication, is likely to thrive for many generations to come.