“Stay here if you can't find other acco in Florence”

A Beautiful Florence
Ranked #502 of 661 Florence B&B and Inns
Reviewed 31 May 2009

At this bed-n-breakfast, we lived in the room with the attached bathroom. We liked our stay there. But the only thing holding back a "definitely recommended" tag for this B&B is its poor location.

The good things about the B&B:
1. Excellent breakfast spread - range of biscuits, cereals, bread/croissants, milk, juice were made available :).
2. Big, spacious room.

The issues with the B&B:
1. Location - it is located in a residential area 15-mins away from the Florence city-center. Though there is a direct bus service available from the B&B to the city center, it can be problematic if you are coming back late at night or have to leave early in the morning (last bus at 12.40 am, first bus at 6am).
2. The bathroom gave a bad smell, probably due to some leak.

Overall, a good place, but in a poor location. My suggestion - look for acco near the city center, but if you can't find any or budgets are an issue - think of staying here!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 2 May 2009

Leonardo + Barbara were extremely reliable and friendly. The room was very spacious and had everything we needed. Very easy access to Florence centre, via a short bus ride. We will certainly recommend this to family and friends.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2009

The review is in english but we are ITALIAN, so far more meticulous than others about staying outside our own houses!!!

Straight to the point:
beautiful chambers (large, tidy, warm, silent, extremely comfortable) and nice dining room/kitchen were you can find abundant breakfasts in the morning and EVERYTHING you need in the rest of the day.
Leonardo and Barbara are extremely courteous and available, have completely made us feel at home and have provided useful hints about places to visit, excellent restaurants and city services.
The place is not far from Santa Maria Novella, about 15 minutes by walk (straight) or 5 minutes by bus lines working the whole week 6AM to 12PM, pretty easy to find from the highway (far easier than the rest of the old town!); we found parking in front of the B&B's door!
Cost was about 24,5 euros per person/night, large chamber with double bed, private inner bathroom, breakfast included, TV and so on...

It deserves 8,5/10

• Stayed: February 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2008

The location is great - you can reach the center in about 10 minutes by bus, which stops really close to the B&B.
Our room was big and had an ensuite bathroom. Both were very clean. There is a kitchen you can use at any time. Brekkie includes pastries and jam.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2008

This is probably the first place (out of over 20) that we’ve stayed at after doing a lot of research through Tripadvisor and ended up being very disappointed. Granted, you do take a risk when the sample size is small and there are a lack of details in the reviews (only 2 of them are in English). And to put everything in context, my wife and I are experienced backpackers, so we’ve run the gamut from some nasty hostels to the better 4-star places throughout Asia.

When we arrived, we had high hopes because so far, all of our stays in Italy had been positive. A Beautiful Florence (ABF) is located in a residential area that’s not difficult to reach by bus; there’re actually several stops nearby.

Once inside, we were greeted by the cleaner. From our two-day experience, it appeared that someone just bought the place for the purposes of making it into a self-catering apartment and then hired cleaners (or their unemployed relatives) to tidy up the place. Beyond that, there was no human contact/service.

For breakfast, they provided cheap pastries wrapped in plastic (like from boxes where you get 10 for a Euro) and assorted drinks lying on a table in the dining room. You could also make tea or coffee. I think one of the other reviewers had a picture of it.

The layout of the place was quite simple: 2 bedrooms each with its own bathroom outside. The third bedroom is probably ensuite, as we didn’t see another bathroom door.

Initial impression was that our room looked okay, but the floor seemed a little bit dirty. Good thing we brought flip flops. Bathroom was small, but it looked functional.

Now for the more subjective stuff:

The GOOD

The friendly cleaner lady was able to give us basic directions for various places despite her limited English (but it was still way better than my nonexistent Italian).

Proximity to bus stop and frequent buses running from the center of town to the B&B

Pretty quiet (granted we were there on the weekend, so no garbage trucks)

Our room had a computer and internet access, but from what I can tell, our room was the only one equipped.

Inexpensive

THE BAD

Cash only—this proved to be a problem not just at A Beautiful Florence but throughout our travels in Italy because things are not cheap, but many places do not take credit cards. Our ATM withdrawal limit was $300 USD/day which is only about 200 Euros. We ultimately had to go to a money changer, all of who charge crazy rates (not just the inflated exchange rate and the usual 5 Euro fee, but most nail you with an additional 19.9% per bill…it’s on the small print on the bottom of the exchange boards). Don’t hand over your money until you get a quote from them. But we had no choice because we were out of cash. But I’ve never gotten ripped off as badly as I did here, even throughout Asia.

The cleaner lady said that if we went to a certain restaurant and mentioned that we were staying at A Beautiful Florence, we would get a discount (to quote her directly; nothing was lost in translation). So we went there just to check it out because every business in a touristy country runs the usual “I know of this great restaurant, hostel, hotel, etc…). So we were quite wary, but everything including the prices seemed reasonable. The food turned out to be quite good, and we had a great time. However, when the bill came and we mentioned that we were staying at ABF, the manager just smiled and said that was great. When I asked about the discount, he said that there was no discount. They were just part of the same tourist partnership chain (whatever that meant), but that was it. Fortunately the food was good and not too overpriced (by Italian standards) because that’s yet another scam.

Breakfast was not very nice. I completely avoided all the pastries and just had some tea in the mornings. We would just do an earlier lunch.

THE UGLY

The shower was like from a junior high gym. I definitely did not want to step barefoot in there for fear of getting some kind of fungus. Again, thank goodness that we brought flip flops. (check out pics)

Even worse, the water from the shower would get all over the floor and flood it by about 1cm. The shower curtain was just too short, so it really didn’t matter what you did, short of doing a one-minute shower or just turning on the water when you’re rinsing off soap. Oh yeah, there’s also no bath soap or shampoo, so you’ll have to bring your own. We also managed a peek into the other bathroom (another couple was being checked in by the cleaner lady at the same time as us), and it looked the same as well.

The bedframe was that from a metal cot, and our double/full size bed was pretty much two single mattresses put on a queen-sized metal cot frame (check out pics). My mattress was completely indented. It felt like someone put a 200Kg wrecking ball on the mattress and left it there for a year. I had to sleep in the area between my wife and my mattress because it was firmer there. The pillows also flatten out, which might work for some people, but I like taller pillows; so I had to fold my pillow over. Not the most comfortable option.

The floors just looked dirty all the time, and even if they've been cleaned, they still look dirty. Did I mention flip flops?

Ultimately, you get what you pay for, and I’m well aware of it. I just want a clean comfortable bed to sleep in and a decent bathroom. Everything else is a bonus. However, a flooded bathroom floor and cratered mattress move this place into the unacceptable category.

This place has a lot of potential and if the owner(s) made some small changes…i.e. better beds and a longer shower curtain, it could work. But in its current state, I’d definitely recommend people to stay away unless you were completely constrained by your budget. If so, don't forget shampoo and flip flops.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robbuaa
Reviewed 13 June 2008

A very nice place, and I loved it. Leonardo was very helpfull. The place was very clean. The location was perfect. Buss in the corner and if you would like to walk it takes 20-30 minutes too city. Shops for food and bars in the near. Much room and service for the price. I can recomend it!!!
There was nothing that didn´t satisfy me

• Stayed: June 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2008

Thank You to Leo for our beatufiul" stay.
Excellent position, nice and tidy room, nice property.
very good B&B