“Wonderful Tuscan food in Fiesole, near Florence” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ristorante I'Polpa - CLOSED

Ristorante I'Polpa
Price range: US$20 - US$49
Cuisines: Italian, Pizza
Good for: Groups, Cheap Eats, Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
London, England, United Kingdom
“Wonderful Tuscan food in Fiesole, near Florence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 September 2013

Wishing to avoid the crowds in Florence, we stayed in Fiesole, which is an attractive town at the end of the number 7 bus route. We had a couple of pretty fair meals at Reggia with its spectacular views, but ate 5 marvellous dinners at I'Polpo.
It is closed for lunch but open seven nights a week. We chose a local Chianti on the first night and it was so very good and inexpensive that we did not try any others.
The cooking is done by a wonderfully deft and gifted lady and most of the service by another, there was also a very capable man in attendance and a much younger man, who was, well, very wiling. The most spectacular dishes featured wild boar, rabbit, beef with very fresh, delicate pasta ribbons and had some of the best flavours we had ever tasted. The sweetness of the tomato in the sauces was an absolute revelation.

There was home-made flat bread with tomato, oregano and olive oil, which was far better than any bread I have ever tasted.

The restaurant is quite intimate and we often had a table opposite the grill, from which we were able to also enjoy the theatricality of the production and service of the meals.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Peter R

tyne and wear united kingdom
“Well and truly stuffed”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 September 2013

Our starters were enormous, our own fault I suppose, and delicious. It was therefore a struggle to finish our main course. A curious event happened when someone collapsed in the street outside and we rushed out to help and stayed out with her whilst waiting for an ambulance. The waiter then came out to tell us our main course was ready- I think they could have handled that with more sensitivity and empathy! That's why I am giving three stars for service. We left her with another couple who had also come out to help, and then felt guilty for going back to eat our food. The menu is very good, the prices are very good and the house wine was robust and fruity.

• Visited August 2013
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Hearty food, hit and miss”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

I really enjoyed the night, my wife had a bad experience, choosing poorly. My wild boar stew and raspberries in red wine were very tasty. The meatballs & pica and ricotta torte were both quite dry. Excellent wine (and very reasonable) plus good service. I would err toward a four, had last nights meal at Reggia not been exceptional.

• Visited August 2013
London, United Kingdom
“Superb cooking at excellent prices”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 August 2013

I stayed in Fiesole for five nights, and other than a wedding on one night ate here every evening. Fillet in chianti and honey (twice), wild boar stew and rabbit, chicken and lamb stew - all cooked technically excellently and presented just how I imagine the wonderful Tuscan lady cooks for her family at home (if she ever takes a day off)!

There is a short menu that stayed the same, and also a considerably longer version that changes on a daily basis - I presume with availability of produce.

Breads to start with are great, smart starters too (ricotta souffle etc). There is little seafood, but all meats are fresh, expertly prepared and in substantial portions. Vegetarian options are there. Wine and beer are at very fair prices. Desserts too are wonderful.

The best complements I can give are that if I lived in Fiesole full time I would need a personal trainer just so I could eat here daily. Also, I would have been happy to pay more - very rare for me!

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Joe K
Chippenham, United Kingdom
“Rustic, true Italian food at its very best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2013

My husband and I stayed in Fiesole to explore Florence and in addition found a gem of a little town on the hilltops with this excellent restaurant located in the main square. Although it opened at 7pm this particular evening and we were already starving, we decided to sit in the main square just opposite and wait sitting on a bench, watching the sun setting and the world go by before we ate. It was well worth the wait! A rustic interior, very welcoming, very nice and quiet, attentive waiter who we think may have been the owner gave us space and time to eat leisurely and not feel pressured to go. We ordered mains with a bread basket - I had a veggie option of a lovely broccoli pasta and my husband had a (very adventurous for him) rabbit tortellini with a rich sauce which he adored. Just the right portion size - not too big, not too small, plus you can have the bread to fill up on if you need to. Lots of choice on the menu. We only had water but weren't made to feel silly for not having the obligatory wine. We left a tip for what was a lovely evening, romantic setting, excellent food and all just a short walk from our hotel. Recommend to all who love true Italian country food.

• Visited October 2012