“The highlight of our trip to Italy”
Review of Pensione Bencista

Pensione Bencista
Ranked #2 of 11 Hotels in Fiesole
Manhattan Beach, California
“The highlight of our trip to Italy”
Reviewed 30 June 2011

Waking up to a breathtaking view of Florence in a 14th Century Villa run by a wonderful family enjoy a breakfast that is well beyond what is typical, wander the gardens or enjoy several sitting rooms then pinch yourself to make sure you are not dreaming. We loved this gem. The Villa is so affordable that I almost did not book it thinking there had to be something wrong. The property is extremely well run and the staff is a delight. This property was vastly superior to a four star we stayed at in Venice. We did not need airconditionaing because of the breeze and high elevation, but I could see that possibly being an issue in the very hot summer months. The rooms are pleasent and a bit understated, but lovely all the same. I could see myself returning often

Room Tip: Try to get a view room.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank ThomRock

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Arlington, Texas
Reviewed 29 May 2011

My daughter was completing a study abroad program, so I stayed as a solo traveler and later with my daughter at the Pensione Bencista. Before I ever arrived, I had contacted the hotel with a few questions. The responses were very prompt and helpful. From the day I arrived to my last day, the family and the staff at the hotel were incredibly helpful, friendly, and professional. We could not have asked for more, and I would just say thank you to the Simoni family for making our stay so pleasant. Our room was clean and comfortable. Initially, I just ate breakfast at the hotel, because we had other plans. On our last 2 nights (Easter weekend), we ate dinner, too, which was great-good food and a lively, interesting atmosphere with people from a variety of countries. After dinner, guests at the hotel would go to various rooms on the first floor to read, play games, use their laptops, talk, have drinks, or go outside on the lovely terrace, which had great views of Florence.Although there are 2 dogs that are family pets, we usually just saw one, and it seemed calm and good-natured. In a way, they seem to add to the uniqueness of this property. After busy days, it was enjoyable to return to the Pensione Bencista in Fiesole.
We had an early flight on our departure day, so we left the hotel around 5 AM. When we went outside, the stars were so brilliant in the sky, and they just added to the beauty of this place. If I have the opportunity to be in this part of Italy again, I would choose this hotel. It has such a family-like atmosphere, and as a solo traveler in the initial part of my stay, I felt quite comfortable.

• Stayed April 2011
4 Thank Alban
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 May 2011

This beautiful Pensione has the most amazing views over Florence and is run by the adorable Simoni family who really care about their guests and go out of their way to help in ant way they can.

The terrace overloooking Florence is the most romantic places you are ever likely to see. The quiet and calm as you enjoy your aperitives with the sun setting over the city is sheer bliss and is only disturbed by the clanging of the dinner bell.

In summer a delicious breakfast is served on the terrace under a lovely awning and the garden is laid out with new sun beds and chairs.

The super friendly and gentle dogs are always welcoming and are never a problem.

Many of the staff have worked there for decades including Stefan and Pino who at 88 is still doing the gardens and olive picking. The family value their staff as well as their guests and we cannot wait to return unlike some classless Americans who wouldn't know quality if it bit them on the nose.

The rooms are full of lovely antique furniture and

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
5 Thank bernieparr
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 18 March 2011

I just popped back to tripadvisor to check my favorite place to stay in Italy and saw this mad review. I stayed at Bencista in 2008 and it's the kind of place that makes you feel better when you think about it whilst having a rubbish day.

Everyone else has said all the things I would have said about it's wonderful location, great staff etc so I just want to say that whilst staying there I lost 50 euro when packing my bag to leave. I didnt think too much of it, and later assumed that I must have spent it. A few weeks later, back in Australia, what arrives in my letter box? An envelope from the pensione with my 50 euro! The cleaner found it when making up my room. I have travelled plenty and I can tell you that sort of thing doesnt happen often, if at all.
Thank you again Pensione Bencista, I look forward to seeing you all again sometime soon! Shannon, Western Australia :)

• Stayed March 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank shanshan22
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed 2 December 2010

My husband and I are seasoned travelers. This is our 4th trip to Florence. In order to stay out of the hustle and bustle of Florence we chose to stay in the small, out of the way town of Fiesole. We had stayed there in the past and found the access to Florence excellent. This trip we chose Pensione Bencista, and we were rewarded for this choice. This hotel is a charming place of old grandeur. It is family run, and the family as well as all the staff, take excellent care of the guests. The food is wonderful and they will prepare any type of food you need because of allergies or special needs. The hotel is neat and clean. The views of Florence are excellent. Our room had a wonderful view of Florence. It is a mere bus ride outside of Florence. This is an excellent choice for anyone wanting to be close to Florence but not in the city. I recommend this wonderful place of charm to all travelers without reservation.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank reneeshlonsky
Southport, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 October 2010

I stayed at the Bencista on a couple of occasions with my sister who has also visited
many times with her husband . We would like to extend our thanks to the Simioni family
for the friendly and courteous welcome to a beautiful house, with peaceful places to sit and enjoy the spectacular views over Florence, although a beautiful city it is noisy so what better to relax after a sight seeing than sit on one of the lovely terraces and enjoy a good book with a glass of wine
The rooms are charming with antique furniture, all have bathrooms on suite and lovely
views. The food typically Italian, fresh filling and more than adequate, looking foward to my next visit.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Oslo
Reviewed 19 August 2010

After staying at Pensione Bencistá many times during the last four years, I sometimes enter Tripadvisor to read what others have experienced visiting my favourite place in Italy. I've never written a review myself - but I like to read others. The last review is from AverageGuy, and reading it upset me so much I just have to write something. I don't know what pills he took, but I agree that crazy pills sounds like a good guess ;-)
What did he excpect entering a house from the fourteenth century, full of antiques - taken care of and restored with a gentle touch to preserve the spirit of the house. Of course there are no sliding doors!
From where did they get the impression that the rooms have no bathroom? Because it's not true. All rooms have a bathroom.
I think he's the rude one, what he writes is not true.
Pensione Bencistá is, as the name indicates, a pensione. Not a hotel, with all the facilities of a hotel. It's also a quiet place, which is quite unique and exclusive these days.
But it has the warmest, friendliest atmosphere I've ever experienced - from the first time we got there we felt welcome. My husband and I actually changed our flight back home to be able to stay for five nights, not only three, the first time we visited.
All rooms are unique, some large - some smaller, but all with beautiful, old furniture.
And some with a wonderful wiew of Florence. The Pensione is situated in the hills outside the city, and if you don't have a wiew of the Duomo - you will have a wiew of the gardens or of the hills of Fiesole, the nearest village.
The Simoni family and their staff takes extremely good care of their guests, like the rest of the reviews of this site indicates. Allways friendly, helpful and charming - they make you feel at home.
This you will never find at a clean (in all meanings of the word) Holiday Inn.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple