“The best "monasteries" of Italy”

Belmond Villa San Michele
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Fiesole
Reviewed 21 June 2014

Many similarities between this Belmond Villa San Michele of Fiesole and the San Domenico Palace Hotel of Taormina, a distance of nearly a thousand Km also this beautiful hotel is a former monastery and very expensive too, but it is worth all the money it costs.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
5  Thank ELIOLAMARI
Aaron K, Direttore generale at Belmond Villa San Michele, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

Dear Eliolamari,

thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor, it was a real pleasure to have you with us and was delighted to read that you enjoyed the Villa San Michele and appreciated the beauty of the former Monastery and Hotel today.
I am sure that my team took wonderful care of you and I do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back with us in the not too distant Future.

With my best personal wishes from Florence.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

This was the Second of three Belmond hotels we stayed at on our 'Grand Tour' of Italy, the others were the Belmond Hotel Caruso in Ravello and the Belmond Hotel Cipriani in Venice.

Transfer from and to Naples rail station were included at the Hotel Villa San Michele when booked on the 'Grand Tour'. The driver met us on the platform, helped us to the car(with free WiFi) and was pleasantly chatty during the 30 minute drive to the hotel.

The welcome at the hotel was like arriving at Downton Abbey with the staff lined up to greet us, very special.

Our room was large and spacious with a private terrace. Doors either side of the bed led into the joint bathroom with massive shower room, bath, wardrobe, the 'usuals' and his and hers sinks.

Florence! wow. Got to go back again again.....
Again, the hotel provided a shuttle bus between the hotel and Florence that ran hourly.
We'd booked a tour of Florence and the Uffizi with Dr. Alessandra Bernabei(see Facebook), you need a guide to point you at the salient pieces or you'll just overload! Alessandra was fabulous, you need to book her!!

The other days we just jumped the shuttle and walked our legs off around the city for hours.

The last day we were transferred back to the rail station.
WiFi and VPN worked fine in the hotel buildings.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jo_Nigel_UK
Aaron K, Direttore generale at Belmond Villa San Michele, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

Dear Jo_Nigel_UK,

Greetings from Florence and thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor.
I was delighted to read that we were the 3rd Belmond Property that you stayed at during your Grand Tour package which indeed is a nice way to explore the wonders of Italy and our wonderful collection of Hotels. My team goes above and beyond in making sure that everyone is made to feel special and I am very happy that you received a warm welcome from everyone and that you enjoyed what the Hotel and Florence had to offer.

I do hope to have the pleasure to welcome you back with us in the not too distant future.
Sending you my best wishes from Florence.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 2 June 2014

We recently had the opportunity to dine at the Belmond Villa San Michele while spending time in Tuscany. My husband and I have dined there in the past, and loved it. This visit was just as spectacular and memorable as our past visits. We had a 7 year old in our party and the staff could not have been kinder to her - a shawl when she was chilly, a coloring book to entertain her. The food was excellent and the service superb. I had an asparagus appetizer and the sea bass - just wonderful. All in all a fabulous restaurant in a remarkable location.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Jenny M

Dear Jenny M,

it was a pleasure to have you back " home " with us on your last visit for dinner and was delighted to read that your experience was as special as always and that the " little diner " in your party was looked after. Victorio and his team love children and always try and go the extra mile for them.

Do look forward to having you back with us soon.

Best wishes from a sunny Florence.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed 25 May 2014

We decided to comemorate our 20th anniversary with a special dinner on the restaurant of Belmond Villa San Michele, in Firenze. It was a splendid night , full of surprises: a VIP treatment, 1st class food in one of the beautiful places we've visited.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank nickacosta
Aaron K, General Manager at Belmond Villa San Michele, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2014

Dear NICKACOSTA,

Greetings from Belmond Villa San Michele and thank you for your wonderful review on TripAdvisor, I was delighted to read that your Anniversary started of in a great way and that you had a marvelous time with us and that our Executive Chef and his team preapred you a first class meal.
We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us soon again.

With my best wishes,

Reviewed 24 May 2014

We were married in the grounds of this beautiful hotel nearly 9 years ago and it was wonderful! Stunning venue, food and drink to die for and the service left me feeling more of a princess than possible! Our then 1 year old was no trouble for anyone and our family and friends still talk about how amazing it was- need to get back for an anniversary visit and to see the fresco again - thank you.

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank happyma_9
Aaron K, Direttore generale at Belmond Villa San Michele, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Happyma_9,

Thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor, what an honor for us that you had chosen to spend your most imporant day with us and that you have very fond memories of your special day with us. We would all be delighted to welcome you back for your Anniversary and make sure to make you feel like a " princess " again.

With my very best wishes,

Reviewed 17 May 2014

The grounds at Villa San Michele are remarkable. The flowers were in full bloom, the citrus trees were beautifual and the views overlooking Florence are spectacular. The service was great, as everyone went above and beyond to make our stay enjoyable. We found the rooms to be a little tired, but we were not surprised by this. The shower was extremely tight compared to other hotels we stayed at on our honeymoon, and we found a huge bug one night. The restaurant is extremely overpriced and the food wavered between pretty good and mediocre. They even charged $15 for a bottle of water! The complimentary breakfast was quite good though. In general, the views, grounds and service are far superior to the hotel itself.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Jayball4
Aaron K, Direttore generale at Belmond Villa San Michele, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2014

Dear Jayball4,

Greetings from Florence and thank you for your recent review on TripAdvior, I was delighted to read that you enjoyed our grounds and the service we offer and that my team went above and beyond to make your sojourn as memorable as possible.
I was sorry to read that we did not live up to your expectations with our rooms, The Villa has been undergoing refurbishment on the rooms, but as the Winters are short and its a historic site we can only do so many each year.
I do look forward to welcoming you back with and please contact me directly and I will make sure that you will have one of our refurbished rooms.

Sendig you my best wishes from a sunny Florence.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 14 May 2014

We had a wonderful trip to Villa San Michele - the service was top notch and we were made to feel welcomed from the moment we stepped foot into this beautiful hotel. The villa is magnificent and the view incredible. We took the shuttle in to Florence two times during our 4 night stay - to see the PItti Palace, shop and to explore the city and we explored Fiesole restaurants and just enjoyed the San Michele on other days. This was my third trip to Florence area and I had already enjoyed the high points of art and culture in Florence and was content to simply take in the beauty of Fiesole and this special hotel. I would recommend staying in Florence for a first-time trip in order to easily see the sites and then possibly add on a few nights at the San Michele for pleasure. I rate the hotel as excellent and value as average because it is pricey but you are getting an extraordinary experience for the price so value is appropriate. If you are not staying at the hotel but would like to enjoy the ambiance, come for drinks and snacks at the piano bar - this was a high point for my girls (13 and 19). We were picking up our 19 year old from a semester studying at Villa Le Balze, a Georgetown campus in Fiesole. I look forward to coming back to the Villa San Michele sometime again with my husband and son along too (they stayed home while we traveled this time.) This would also be a nice get away with a group of girlfriends for special birthday and definitely a nice choice for honeymoon or anniversary trip. Well done San Michele - hope to visit you and Fiesole again soon!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank Angela K
Aaron K, General Manager at Belmond Villa San Michele, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Dear Angela K,

It was a pleasure to have you with us on your most recent trip to Florence and thank you for your wonderful comment on TripAdvisor.
I am delighted to read that you and your daughters had a wonderful time with us and enjoyed the Property and services we offer, I do agree with you we do have the nicest views of the city.
I hope that your daughter enjoyed her Semester at Georgetown and do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming your entire family one day or you and your friends.

With my best wishes from Florence,

Aaron Kaupp

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fiesole
San Marco
Duomo
Hotel Savoy
Hotel Savoy
#26 of 410 in Florence

Been to Belmond Villa San Michele? Share your experiences!