“Good but ,”

Belmond Villa San Michele
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Fiesole
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Ok if you visit this hotel you will not be disappointed let me assure you. However when you are paying considerable sums none of us should be afraid of requiring the very best because that's why one visits places like this. I ,like most of us ,enjoy the good things in life and am prepared to pay for them so I was maybe being a bit critical but thought the large coffee stain on the sofa in the room and stained bed cover a bit strange, water dripping from the roof of the bathroom when the bath is run is also disappointing ,poor staffing at the pool with litter on the floor around the sun loungers was also out of keeping.
That said the staff were generally all excellent and will all have undergone the standard top notch training. The location is to die for and the food is truly excellent and I did enjoy the hotel. Would we go again ? yes if i were needing to visit Florence its an interesting place to go,but worry that the reliance on location over old fashioned standards a little worrying.

Room Tip: Complain if its not up to scratch.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank FrancisD_11
Aaron K, Direttore generale at Belmond Villa San Michele, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2014

Dear FrancisD_11,

Greetings from Florence and thank you for your recent post on TripAdvsior that I read with great concern as this is obviously not our standard and I am still investigating into this and will get back to you personally.

On a more positive note I am delighted that you found the team to be top Notch and our Restaurant Outlets to be excellent. I do look forward to welcoming you back with us for a faultless stay next time.

In the meantime I send you my best wishes from Florence.
Sincerely yours,

There are newer reviews for Belmond Villa San Michele

Reviewed 31 July 2014

We went to this hotel on our honeymoon approx 17 years ago and for sentimental reasons, we recently returned with our three children. The restaurant is still amazing and the rooms are now in need of redecorating. The grounds and the pool are still beautiful but the pool drinks and food were outrageously expensive. We loved the soft beds, air conditioned rooms, and black out lined drapery. We all slept well and felt refreshed enough to take on Florence the next day.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank jennifer k

Dear jennifer k,

thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor, it was a pleasure to have you back after 17 years with your now bigger family and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed it very much and got a good nights sleep ready to explore Florence and its sites the next day.

Over the years we have beeen refurbshing our rooms and Suites and I am sorry that you were allocated one that has not been updated as of yet, I am sure that if you come next year you will have one as we are going through another phase of refurbishigs this winter.

In the meantime I wish you a wonderful remainder of your summer.
Kindest regards,

Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was a our first visit to the hotel and we stayed for 4 nights in mid July, 2 adults and 2 children. We had 2 adjoining suites which were fabulous, each with plenty of space and very comfortable beds! The shuttle bus to the city centre works really well - if its too crowded, that happened to us only once on 6 trips too and from, then the hotel organise a taxi to take you (at their expense). After the heat and bustle of the city centre the gardens and pool are a welcome haven of tranquillity, not crowded and plenty of space, all with breath taking views of Florence.

There is a great outdoor terrace / garden for pre and after dinner drinks and the main restaurant is in a stunning vaulted terrace at the side of the hotel, and every table has a great view of Florence. The food is good and the staff are very attentive. My only quibble is that I found the menu a little limited and the food perhaps unnecessarily fussy (no simple or 'light' dishes) so that It was a bit of a struggle trying to choose something by the 3rd and 4th night. If you plan to eat 3 courses each night then the half board supplement (€) is a must. Good kids menu. Lunch menu at the pool restaurant is limited and pricey for what it is.

The front of house staff are great and have a genuine friendliness and passion for their property. Would we stay again? Yes!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank Londoner045
Aaron K, Direttore generale at Belmond Villa San Michele, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2014

Dear Londoner0,

thank you for your recent posting on TripAdvisor, I am delighted to read that you truly enjoyed your holidays with your family and children with us and were able to experience the Property for what its stands for, a urban resort where we offer all.

Thank you for your kind comments towards the entire team that I will make sure to share with them.
Also your reccomendations towards our Menu selection is greatly apreciated and we will surely look into this.

In the meantime we do hope to welcome you back with us soon again.
Wishing you a wonderful remainder of your summer.

Kind regards,

Reviewed 22 July 2014

When I was trying to decide what to do for that all so important birthday - did I want a party, or just dinner we friends - well neither hit the button until I decided I wanted dinner with friends here.

The setting is magnificent, and on a hot night in July it was perfect.

The food and wine here never disappoint, and whilst we having a pre dinner drink in the garden, they did there very best to ensure that we had plenty of 'snacks' to keep us going. My husband had arranged a wonderful birthday cake - which was gorgeous. This place really isn't cheap, but for special occasions it's worth every €

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Deb&Dean

Dear Deb&Dean,

greetings from Florence and thank you for your recent posting on TripAdvisor, I am delighted to read that your Birthday celebration was Magcial and that you enjoyed every second of it and that you will have a wonderful and long lasting memory of it.

We look forward to welcoming you back with us and wish you in the meantime a wonderful remainder of your summer.

Sincerely yours,

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Charming sophistication with a spectacular view. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Next time we would like to attend the cooking classes. The food was delicious especially the breakfast. The shuttle to Florence center was convenient. It was worth staying just above town for the gorgeous view. Loved it! Concierge was so helpful too.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Rosanne B

Dear Rosanne B,

Thank you for your recent posting on Tripadvisor I am delighted to read that you enjoyed your sojourn with us and found it all to be sophisticated. Indeed I agree with you that the view are stunning from up here and that Maurizio and His concierge team is a great asset to the Hotel.

We do look forward to welcoming you back in order also to have you try our cooking school.
With my very best personal wishes,

Reviewed 4 July 2014

My wife and I spent 4 nights here as part of an Orient Express 1-week package. We have been to Florence at least annually for the past 20 years and always thought that we would stay at VSM on some occasion, but we have always stayed either in one of the few 5* city centre hotels or in a rented villa in the Florentine countryside.

Our first impressions lived up to our expectations: we stayed in a junior suite separate from the main house which enjoyed its own outside private seating areas with full views of the city. The pool, also separate from the main house area via a series of steps to the uppermost terrace, was set into woods with amazing views of Florence. The food too was delicious. The main strengths of this hotel are (1) the views, and (2) the food.

However, our overall impression is that this is a hotel that is not quite as good as it's reputation suggests. Most of the staff are excellent but attention to detail and anticipation of guests' wishes is better in some of Florence's other top hotels. When we were disappointed to learn that the courtesy shuttle bus only runs between the hotel and Florence until 8:30pm, we were very pleased when the hotel made convenient arrangements for us via taxi. Our main disappointed was that it was not possible to eat from the different hotel menus in each dining area of the hotel, particularly given the prices that are charged for the delicious food.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank MD G
Aaron K, Direttore generale at Belmond Villa San Michele, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2014

Dear MD G,

thank you for your recent comment on TripAdvisor, and for having chosen our 1 week package to return to Florence and trying our beeloved Villa San Michele. I was delighted to read that you found our views and Food to be devine and will make sure to share it with the team that I am sure will be very delighted to read this.

I am sorry that you feel that my team did not anticipate your needs as they strive very hard to provide the best in customer service, and I am sorry that they did not achieve this with you during your last stay with us, as any Hotel a courtesy shuttle or car operates on a time frame and we think that 20:30 pm is a reasonable time frame considering that the first shuttle starts at 8:30 in the morning.

If you could give me some more details of wich Menu you wanted to dine from and that request was not granted for which I apologize sincerely, you can reach me at anytime at aaron.kaup@belmond.com

Hoping to be able to welcome you soon again with us and making sure that your sojourn with us will be a very memorable one.

With my best wishes,

Reviewed 30 June 2014

We had high expectations of this hotel and the staff did their utmost to make sure it delivered. It's not inexpensive but then why should it be - it's an experience and a perfect one, and all the staff work tirelessly to make sure it is the best it can be. Go with it, enjoy it and come back refreshed.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank Mark G
Aaron K, Direttore generale at Belmond Villa San Michele, responded to this reviewResponded 6 July 2014

Dear Mark G,

greetings from Florence and thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor, it was a pleasure to have you with us and I am delighted to read that your high expectations were met by my team and that everyone took great care of you. Indeed coming back from a Holiday " refreshed " is what makes a Holiday a perfect one, thank you and we do look forwad to welcoming you back with us very soon.

With my very best wishes,

Aaron Kaupp

Also consider these accommodations in or near Fiesole
San Marco
Duomo
Hotel Savoy
Hotel Savoy
#26 of 411 in Florence

Been to Belmond Villa San Michele? Share your experiences!