“Never fails to impress!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Belmond Villa San Michele

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Belmond Villa San Michele
Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Fiesole
Northallerton, United Kingdom
“Never fails to impress!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2014

We have just enjoyed our second stay at Villa San Michele with our two children (12 and 15). Having had an amazing experience the first time round a few years ago we were slightly nervous as to whether it might not live up to our memories. Happily we were proved wrong. Everything was perfect. All the reviews talk about the view, which is of course unique , but it is the wonderful service - not too formal and not too casual - and attention to detail that underpins a great location. Hospitality is more than a place - it is the people who work there who make it a great experience. They even remembered where we had stayed last time and we felt as spoiled as before!
I found the standards excellent everywhere- and I am really fussy! I was baffled by the review that said it was difficult to have a light meal - the buffet at the pool bar is very light and healthy and the bar at the main restaurant offers sandwiches and snacks. I was even offered a very simple salad not on the menu as a lighter alternative when dithering over what to have.
As others have said the transfer service to Florence is brilliant; punctual and helpful about where to go - but do go first thing and miss the crowds.
This is quite simply one of those life enhancing experiences that you should not miss. We will certainly be back!

Room Tip: All the rooms are brilliant but the Limonaie suite stands out !
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Aaron K, General Manager at Belmond Villa San Michele, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear YG4,

I am delighted to read your recent post on Tripadvisor and it was a pleasure to welcome you and your family back with us for your second stay at the Villa.
We are glad that we lived up to your high expectations and that your sojourn with us was pleasant one once again.
We do look forward to welcoming you once again in the near future and in the meantime wishing you a delightful remainder of your summer.

Kindest Regards,

Aaron Kaupp

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2014

We have recently returned from 7 days at VSM with our 2 children (15 and 14). It was wonderful, near perfect and with a few minor improvements could indeed be perfect. The greeting on arrival was absolutely marvellous - warm, friendly, everything one could want; and those checking us in at the front desk did a marvellous job. From there on, it continued to be magnificent. The hotel is as beautifully situated as any I have ever seen, it is stunningly decorated, the gardens and outdoor seating areas are sensational, the pool area is gorgeous, and the dining area overlooks Florence and is breathtaking. The staff are absolutely top quality, nothing is too much for them, and they are always friendly (particular thank you to Michael). The food is very good - although there could be a little more variety in the restaurant in the main menu eg some interesting salads would be good as. My one disappointment was that the junior suite that my wife and I stayed in was just a little tired. It was nothing like the junior suite in the pictures, and was really somewhat disappointing. Having said that, it only marginally diminished the wonders of the hotel and our stay there. We will return on a regular basis, and unequivocally recommend it to anyone. It's very expensive but well worth it for an absolutely wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Junior suite 46 is a little tired
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Andrew G
Aaron K, General Manager at Belmond Villa San Michele, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear Andrew G,

thank you for your wonderful review after your seven days with us, I was delighted that you and your family enjoyed your time spend at the Villa and that everyone took good care of you, I will make sure that your Kudos go out to Michael and the entire team.

I appreciate your suggestions on our restaurant options and will make sure to take that into consideration for the future, as every winter we refurbish some rooms I am sure that when you return next you will find a room to your liking.

In the meantime I wish you a wonderful remainder of your summer and once again thank you for the wonderful comments.

With my best wishes.
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

No description will do this justice. You simply must stay at Villa San Michele to understand how incredible this place is. With sweeping views over Florence and staff with incredible attention to detail to ensure your stay is memorable. Eating dinner or breakfast on the covered terrace is a breathtaking experience and with a shuttle to transport you to Florence your every need is met. I guarantee this will be a stay you will remember for the rest of your life.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
3 Thank DamianRoberts1965
Dear Damian R,

thank you for your wonderful comments on Tripadvisor after your recent sojourn with us, I am delighted that apart the stunning views you loved our attention to detail by the entire team, which I will make sure to share with them.

They strive very hard and go above and beyond to make every guest feel special and attended to.

We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back with us in the near future.
In the meantime I wish you a wonderful remainder of your summer and send you my best wishes from Florence.

Sincerley yours,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2014

Ok if you visit this hotel you will not be disappointed let me assure you. However when you are paying considerable sums none of us should be afraid of requiring the very best because that's why one visits places like this. I ,like most of us ,enjoy the good things in life and am prepared to pay for them so I was maybe being a bit critical but thought the large coffee stain on the sofa in the room and stained bed cover a bit strange, water dripping from the roof of the bathroom when the bath is run is also disappointing ,poor staffing at the pool with litter on the floor around the sun loungers was also out of keeping.
That said the staff were generally all excellent and will all have undergone the standard top notch training. The location is to die for and the food is truly excellent and I did enjoy the hotel. Would we go again ? yes if i were needing to visit Florence its an interesting place to go,but worry that the reliance on location over old fashioned standards a little worrying.

Room Tip: Complain if its not up to scratch.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank FrancisD_11
Aaron K, Direttore generale at Belmond Villa San Michele, responded to this review, 29 August 2014
Dear FrancisD_11,

Greetings from Florence and thank you for your recent post on TripAdvsior that I read with great concern as this is obviously not our standard and I am still investigating into this and will get back to you personally.

On a more positive note I am delighted that you found the team to be top Notch and our Restaurant Outlets to be excellent. I do look forward to welcoming you back with us for a faultless stay next time.

In the meantime I send you my best wishes from Florence.

Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2014

We went to this hotel on our honeymoon approx 17 years ago and for sentimental reasons, we recently returned with our three children. The restaurant is still amazing and the rooms are now in need of redecorating. The grounds and the pool are still beautiful but the pool drinks and food were outrageously expensive. We loved the soft beds, air conditioned rooms, and black out lined drapery. We all slept well and felt refreshed enough to take on Florence the next day.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jennifer k
Dear jennifer k,

thank you for your recent post on TripAdvisor, it was a pleasure to have you back after 17 years with your now bigger family and I was delighted to read that you enjoyed it very much and got a good nights sleep ready to explore Florence and its sites the next day.

Over the years we have beeen refurbshing our rooms and Suites and I am sorry that you were allocated one that has not been updated as of yet, I am sure that if you come next year you will have one as we are going through another phase of refurbishigs this winter.

In the meantime I wish you a wonderful remainder of your summer.
Kindest regards,

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was a our first visit to the hotel and we stayed for 4 nights in mid July, 2 adults and 2 children. We had 2 adjoining suites which were fabulous, each with plenty of space and very comfortable beds! The shuttle bus to the city centre works really well - if its too crowded, that happened to us only once on 6 trips too and from, then the hotel organise a taxi to take you (at their expense). After the heat and bustle of the city centre the gardens and pool are a welcome haven of tranquillity, not crowded and plenty of space, all with breath taking views of Florence.

There is a great outdoor terrace / garden for pre and after dinner drinks and the main restaurant is in a stunning vaulted terrace at the side of the hotel, and every table has a great view of Florence. The food is good and the staff are very attentive. My only quibble is that I found the menu a little limited and the food perhaps unnecessarily fussy (no simple or 'light' dishes) so that It was a bit of a struggle trying to choose something by the 3rd and 4th night. If you plan to eat 3 courses each night then the half board supplement (€) is a must. Good kids menu. Lunch menu at the pool restaurant is limited and pricey for what it is.

The front of house staff are great and have a genuine friendliness and passion for their property. Would we stay again? Yes!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Londoner045
Aaron K, Direttore generale at Belmond Villa San Michele, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
Dear Londoner0,

thank you for your recent posting on TripAdvisor, I am delighted to read that you truly enjoyed your holidays with your family and children with us and were able to experience the Property for what its stands for, a urban resort where we offer all.

Thank you for your kind comments towards the entire team that I will make sure to share with them.
Also your reccomendations towards our Menu selection is greatly apreciated and we will surely look into this.

In the meantime we do hope to welcome you back with us soon again.
Wishing you a wonderful remainder of your summer.

Kind regards,
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

When I was trying to decide what to do for that all so important birthday - did I want a party, or just dinner we friends - well neither hit the button until I decided I wanted dinner with friends here.

The setting is magnificent, and on a hot night in July it was perfect.

The food and wine here never disappoint, and whilst we having a pre dinner drink in the garden, they did there very best to ensure that we had plenty of 'snacks' to keep us going. My husband had arranged a wonderful birthday cake - which was gorgeous. This place really isn't cheap, but for special occasions it's worth every €

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
      Location
2 Thank Deb&Dean
Dear Deb&Dean,

greetings from Florence and thank you for your recent posting on TripAdvisor, I am delighted to read that your Birthday celebration was Magcial and that you enjoyed every second of it and that you will have a wonderful and long lasting memory of it.

We look forward to welcoming you back with us and wish you in the meantime a wonderful remainder of your summer.

Aaron Kaupp
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fiesole
San Marco
FH Villa Fiesole Hotel
#3 of 11 in Fiesole
Santa Maria Novella
The Westin Excelsior Florence

Been to Belmond Villa San Michele? Share your experiences!