“VERY nice !”
Review of Hotel Gennarino

Hotel Gennarino
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Livorno
Reviewed 21 August 2011

This is a small family-owned establishment near the Naval Academy in Livorno. Recently rennovated, it has a BEAUTIFUL decor ! It's a "Libertine" style villa. The family staff is excellent - they helped with anything I asked (the younger ones speak good English; the grandparents don't but they will understand what you want/need anyway:)...There is free parking right behind the building; I had no problems with my rental car.
Breakfast isn't cooked to order on-site, it's the continental type: rolls, butter/jam, juice, fruit, etc. Not much variety, but enough for me. Excellent coffee! Also, there is a small but complete bar and you can buy a drink or beer anytime, day or night. My room was very comfortable (although the bed was harder than I'm used to; this is something I find all the time in Europe), the room and bathroom was SPOTLESS and very sanitary. My only problem with the room was the air conditioning, as I'm used to the more powerful American variety and I was staying there in late July/early August, the hottest time for that area. My room had a "frigo bar" - a small refrigerator in the room, stocked with a couple of Italian beers, small bottles of wine, fruit juice and cola - well appreciated. They were in the process of installing an elevator (lift) at the time, but I don't know if it's finished. Anyway, I didn't need it.
There is a gym (palestra) within easy walk; its behind the stadium.
A few cons: the internet is spotty and a bit expensive. There are few retaurants nearby; be prepared to walk a good ways or drive. You also have to drive to get to the public beaches.
I highly reccomend this place and I hope to go back soon...

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled solo
2  Thank Robb44535

Reviewed 23 July 2011

very kind people that really care about me. i d say that every morning i got a genuine smile from all staffs. i had bring my bike and they let me put it inside my room (it may be not important for ones that dont ride a 8000 BIKE). good breakast. i would say that u got more than u pay for your stay in this hotel. of course it could be much better but than u should go to other place a pay doble. so thanks c u next time.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This hotel tries very hard to be chic... but there is a fine line between chic and kitsch. I am not a fan of plastic flowers nor of red ribbons tied around plants..... and I don't want to see signs everywhere that smokers will be find........
One did not have the feeling of being made welcome at this establishment.

There is no lift. This is no place for the elderly or infirm.
Our room was on the second floor and although the receptionist, who I believe to be the owner, kindly carried our case upstairs, we had to carry it down the next day.
The hairdryer in the room did not work
The outside temperature on the day we arrived was 40 degrees and although we had booked, the air conditioning in our room had not been switched on beforehand. Indeed, it appeared to have been set to function at no lower than 27.5 degrees and it was impossible to lower the temperature. Quite uncomfortable, as the bathroom was very warm.

Although breakfast the next morning was adequate. It was self service all the way. A tray was handed to us and we sat outside. I had to go inside and ask for a second cup of coffee. There was only one other couple breakfasting at the time and no effort was made to be hospitable. Did we enjoy our stay? Nobody asked us.
I had the feeling of having stayed at a boarding house where the owners couldn't wait to
get rid of us.
Would I use this "hotel" again? No!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 28 April 2011

A nice place to stay that was a bit different from the norm. Parking. A walk into town of about 30 minutes. Friendly staff. Nice breakfast. Livorno is major port. We had trouble finding open places to eat on a Sunday, but were OK in the end,

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EKSAYERS
Reviewed 10 December 2010

This is a charming hotel formally a Naval house that has been done-up fantastically. It looks brand new with old world charm. Excellent rooms - very clean - good bathroom etc. Very friendly people working at the hotel. In summer this place would be fantastic. Nice breakfast and lovely bar area. Free - Safe parking.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 August 2010

Excellent rooms - clean and comfortable. Very friendly and helpful staff. The decor (interior and exterior) was fantastic.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 May 2010

The place is spotless and the owners are so friendly. You can tell they have put a lot of work into remodeling and decorating the house. It was raining so hard when we were there and we sat and chatted with the entire family and felt so at home. We walked away feeling like we had new friends! We would love for them to come visit here in the U.S.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled with friends