“We did not want to leave!!”
East Garden View from the Balcony
Rear Facade
Entrance Hall
Living room, facing South
Dining Room
Eat in kitchen with professional stove
Breakfast Room
Pool - looking West
Pool - looking South
The Blue Bedroom
The olive grove
View of the church from the rear meadow
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Italian first
Any
lcalderon
San Francisco, California
“We did not want to leave!!”
Reviewed 17 July 2012 for a stay in June 2012
person found this review helpful

My family (my mom, myself and my husband, my sister and her husband) stayed at Bell'Estate for a week in June and it was a fantastic visit. The house itself is stunning and the property is gorgeous. The kitchen was very well-equipped and made cooking meals very very easy, and the house is situated close to some fantastic restaurants. We all agreed that the pool was one of the best pools we have ever been in, and we spent much of our time relaxing in and around the pool. We followed Alessandra's instructions about how to keep the house cool and keep the mosquitos out and never had a problem. She was super helpful and easy to reach during our stay. We will definitely return to Bell'Estate -- it was hard to leave!

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
Friends getaway Older travelers
Families with young children Large groups
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Montreal

Germany
Reviewed 25 June 2012 for a stay in June 2012

jackgeo15...
Vancouver, Canada
“Had a wonderful time but...”
Reviewed 18 June 2012 for a stay in May 2012

The house is large, formal and reasonably well equipped. Alessandra, the owner, and her sister, Sonia,- who is on site - were attentive and welcoming. It is not a purpose run vacation rental but more like someone's home.

We chose a week there as part of a graduation from Medical School celebration for our family and their spouses primarily because of the size and many bathrooms. Overall we had a lovely time but there were a couple of niggles: First, the orientation from Sonia was frightening in the very firm instruction that we had to lock ourselves into the house every night behind iron-barred wooden doors - which we ignored as to do so would impede escape if there was a fire - and an admonition to only use the lights and electrics sparingly because it costs so much in Italy. Both of these were 'over the top'. Second, the outdoor furniture was old and in poor repair, with the chairs, resulting in a couple of hilarious tip overs - by our daughters who are both rather petite - when the material/wood gave way beneath them. Third, the barbeque, when we eventually located it in a disused shed, was something that would not have been out of place on Noah's Ark. Fourth, the beds were way too hard for Canadian tastes. Fifth, the laundry facilities did not include a clothes drier which we view as a necessity.

These niggles are, overall, relatively minor. Seeing as we have successfully rented our vacation home, on Salt Spring Island in British Columbia, for many years we have a good feeling as to what vacation renters want, need and expect. Thus overall we feel that some of the amenities need upgrading to reach the standard expected by North Americans for a vacation property that costs about $5000 Euro a week as of late May, 2012.

Despite these 'niggles' we had a very pleasant time.

Overall condition of the property Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: Lucca is a wonderful place and a great base to explore western Tuscany
Liked least: The beds!
Travelling group: Extended Family
Would you recommend this hotel to a friend?   Yes.
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Management Response
17 Jun 2012
I am sorry that our guests had negative things to say. I will respond in order.

Security at the house is important and the front door is extremely easy to open in case of emergency. Apart from the fact that the risk of fire in a solid masonry building is remote, the comment is preposterous: would one not lock the front door in -say- Toronto, for fear of a fire emergency?

Nobody said to use electricity sparingly, just to turn things off when not in use. This is a common sense habit that unfortunately not enough people have, or our planet would be in better shape.

About the outside furniture, perhaps our guests simply do not understand the value of antiques. The chairs in question are bent-wood chairs that are unfortunately not even made any more. Usually, if an accident happens and something breaks, our guests are very gracious and tell me immediately, apologizing for what has happened, and immediately offering to replace the broken item. In this case, it is interesting to see how these guests found the way to not only not discuss it with me, but to turn the incident against us.

Finding the barbecue need not have been such a strenuous proposition: all our guests know that they can contact me via phone, cell phone, email, and text message, any time of day or night. All that was needed was for someone to ask. Our guests know that I answer emails within a matter of minutes. The barbecue is a basic grille, not the Weber-type pumped up things that are common in North America. Believe it or not, I have looked for those in italy, but have not found them: Italians like to cook, not grill, so there is simply no market. On the other hand, if one travels to Italy and wants to eat hamburgers, perhaps one has missed the point.

The beds have firm mattresses because it is well known that a firm mattress is essential for healthy spine support. A soft mattress could result in a terrible back-ache that would ruin an entire trip.

Lastly, the issue of dryer is very clear from the webpage: nowhere does it state that we have a dryer. If the presence of a dryer was considered so important, this house should not have been chosen. But to choose it nonetheless, and then criticize for its absence seems underhanded and mean spirited.

In short: people who decide to travel to foreign countries should have some understanding that they are going to find different cultures, different priorities, and a different point of view. If one wants to travel in a "North American cocoon" -for lack of a better term- then perhaps the Hotel Hilton or Sheraton would be a better choice. I am told also that Disney World has a section of "simulated Italy" which is quite good.

I would say that the vast majority of our guests understands this, appreciates our efforts to meet all their needs, and ultimately enjoys the cultural differences which make for an authentic trip and a life-enriching experience.
RI USA
Reviewed 18 May 2012 for a stay in May 2012

Luxury-minded travelers Rugged travelers
Philadelphia
Reviewed 16 November 2011 for a stay in August 2011

Luxury-minded travelers
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing
;