“Our savior in Lucca”

Ranked #60 of 587 Restaurants in Lucca
Price range: US$22 - US$37
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Andover, Massachusetts
“Our savior in Lucca”
Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stumbled on to this place on a dark deserted street while we were walking around lost on a very rainy Saturday night, after three restaurants we tried were fully booked. We thought maybe we had made a mistake when it was empty when we walked in, but the room was quaintly pleasant, the hosts were friendly, and the house Chianti was very drinkable. They only have about 4 choices of each course on the menu, but everything we tried was tasty and satisfying. This was home cooking - mama cooks the food upstairs and brings it down to the restaurant through the front door. The cost was very reasonable. I don't know why they were empty this night ( a few other people eventually arrived) and I hope they can stay in business. We were certainly glad we found it.

• Visited October 2013

Dundee, Scotland
“A gem in Lucca”
Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and I went here for a meal on our last night on holiday in lovely Lucca and it felt like the real Italy. Excellent, friendly and knowledgeable staff- I am always keen to try and converse in my dodgy Italian but the staff had very good English which helped with the menu translations. The restaurant is quirky and comfortable and the food was delicious. Do check that the menu outside is the same as inside though as I had been looking forward to a dish that wasn't on the menu inside and was disappointed that the only main was veal in a variety of sauces, which being a vegi and fish eater I couldn't have. Thankfully the range of pasta dishes was mouthwatering and there were antipasti, salads and delicious deserts to keep me happy. Great service, very reasonably priced, good wine and great coffee. Era squisito !!!

• Visited September 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great friendly service, superb food a hidden gem in Lucca”
Reviewed 10 September 2013

Il Geco is my favourite restaurant in Lucca. I've been more times than I can count. It is family run and I always get a great welcome. There is a cute dining room and a lovely hidden garden. The food is simple and authentic and the final bill is very reasonable for such a nice meal.

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank PhilBradby
Boston, Massachusetts
“Loved Il Geco!”
Reviewed 31 August 2013

My family and I vacationed in Italy for 2 weeks in July. We visited Lucca for a few days, and LOVED Il Geco! The staff was so friendly and even brought us our own menu in english. The appetizer we ordered (mixed meats) was HUGE, and also the panzanella was the BEST i ever had. I think I really loved this restaurant because of the homemade pasta dishes and the quality of food. Everything was so fresh and I can honestly say the best meal we ate in Italy! I would love to return someday!

• Visited July 2013
Perugia, Italy
“Favorite Restaurant in Lucca!”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My husband and I visited Il Geco after stumbling upon it while looking for someplace to eat while visiting Lucca. We were so happy we found this gem! From the cool decor, and awesome atmosphere, to the great attention from the staff, and the truly homemade entrees, we were delighted! If you're looking for a place to enjoy a nice evening with delicious food, this is the place for you!
A year later we ended up moving to Lucca and now we can dine at our favorite resturant any night of the week! It feels like a second home to us. We also LOVE the garden area outside.

• Visited July 2013