“Worth looking for!”

Price range: US$23 - US$39
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 17 June 2014

My husband ands I had just arrived in Lucca, after a three hour train ride and two failed attempts to find a hotel room. We were hungry and tired and we wanted a place that was close to our (final) hotel, the Ilaria. This was it.

And when we arrived and found the place basically empty at 8 PM, we were a little suspicious.
But ten minutes with our hosts, and a look at the menu and the relatively low prices, and we were convinced. And when the food started to arrived, we were over convinced. Everything was delicious and original, although still traditional.

All in all, between the decor, the friendly service, the English-speaking staff, the great food, and the wonderful location, I'd sat Il Geco was a winner!

Reviewed 7 June 2014

There are so many unique and interesting things to look at in this restaurant. They have a small menu written on a chalkboard. Daily specials. They also have a pleasant outdoor garden. I would definitely return !

Reviewed 30 November 2013

We happened to rent an apartment two doors down from Il Geco for our week-long stay in Lucca and our landlady recommended it highly. It is a bit interesting walking through the hall past all the stuff to get to the dining room, which also was full of interesting stuff. No menu; our waiter is the son of the owners; his mother makes the pasta and his father cooks. He was very proud to tell us they only use locally grown organic vegetables and free-range meat products. He offered up 3 or 4 first courses and the same with secondo; we basically told him to pick. Everything was great; pasta delicious, both main courses fresh and well presented. Our bill was way under 100 euro including a liter of wine and a very generous tip. Recommend highly.

Reviewed 3 November 2013

We stumbled on to this place on a dark deserted street while we were walking around lost on a very rainy Saturday night, after three restaurants we tried were fully booked. We thought maybe we had made a mistake when it was empty when we walked in, but the room was quaintly pleasant, the hosts were friendly, and the house Chianti was very drinkable. They only have about 4 choices of each course on the menu, but everything we tried was tasty and satisfying. This was home cooking - mama cooks the food upstairs and brings it down to the restaurant through the front door. The cost was very reasonable. I don't know why they were empty this night ( a few other people eventually arrived) and I hope they can stay in business. We were certainly glad we found it.

Reviewed 1 October 2013

My husband and I went here for a meal on our last night on holiday in lovely Lucca and it felt like the real Italy. Excellent, friendly and knowledgeable staff- I am always keen to try and converse in my dodgy Italian but the staff had very good English which helped with the menu translations. The restaurant is quirky and comfortable and the food was delicious. Do check that the menu outside is the same as inside though as I had been looking forward to a dish that wasn't on the menu inside and was disappointed that the only main was veal in a variety of sauces, which being a vegi and fish eater I couldn't have. Thankfully the range of pasta dishes was mouthwatering and there were antipasti, salads and delicious deserts to keep me happy. Great service, very reasonably priced, good wine and great coffee. Era squisito !!!