“Highlight of the vacation”
Review of Sapori e Saperi

Sapori e Saperi
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Inspiring culinary tours of life behind the scenes that you won't find in any guidebook
Reviewed 2 weeks ago

We arranged with Erica to visit a cheese maker and a baker.We met our guide and were off. The cheese maker lived high in the mountains with her goats. She is not a mass producer. in fact, the opposite. She makes two wheels of cheese a day. We watched the whole process and then ate the ricotta that was left on the bottom of the kettle. Wow.! A unique experience. We also made 10 loaves of bread with a baker and had lunch with his family. The bread lasted us for a week as the baker predicted. What an experience!

Heather J, Proprietario at Sapori e Saperi, responded to this reviewResponded 2 weeks ago

Thanks, Mitch. I'm so glad you appreciated those small producers who practise their craft as much for passion as for money. Erica

All reviews
"agriturismo"
"company"
"festival"

Reviewed 28 April 2018

My daughter and I have recently done the Artisan cheese making course with Sapori e Saperi. This was such and interesting,helpful and great fun trip that exceeded all our expectations. The accommodation and food were excellent, the places we visited were unique and our host was gracious, very well informed and went out of her way to make sure we got as much from the trip as possible. As well as helping cheese makers make cheese, we made gelato, had a truffle night and ate meals with the locals in their homes..I heartily recommend this tour company.

Reviewed 2 November 2017

We wanted an authentic olive harvesting experience for our family and Erica did a great job finding one and making into a great experience. While she normally does day long experiences and tours we wanted a full immersion in the whole process and to stay with the olive farmer. She sorted all this out and it was the real deal with the Orsi family at Alle Camelia. We stay at the farm in a fantastic apartment, we worked with father Augusto and son Claudio and a small crew to pick and gather the olives from the terraces for 4 days. It was wonderful - quite hard work but very satisfying to see the fruits of ones labour being carted to the olive mill ( in house ) and to taste the end product, the very special Organic Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Olive Oil to give it the full name. We had picnic lunches sitting in the warmth of the afternoon sun and there was time most afternoons for a trip to Lucca and elsewhere with Eric's comprehensive guidance. She's a real expert and totally passionate and knowledgable about all things artisan and food.

ericainglese, Owner at Sapori e Saperi, responded to this reviewResponded 4 November 2017

I'm so glad you enjoyed your olive oil experience. Thank you for taking the time to submit a review. I'd like to add for the benefit of others thinking of booking with Sapori e Saperi Adventures that I offer a range of slow travel experiences from small group tours with fixed departure dates and itineraries themed according to the place and the season, personalised tours from a day to as long as you want, family holidays, and courses with artisans for professionals in the food sector and keen amateurs. I recommend travellers to slow down and spend more than a day with me so you can get to know in depth my territory and the wonderful people in it, like the Orsi family. You'll return home enriched and inspired.

Reviewed 6 August 2017

I and my friend booked a day tour with Sapori e Saperi for our last day in Tuscany, at the end of a rushed and packed week in Florence and Borgo a Mozzano to celebrate her twenty-third birthday. Two things stood out about our tour with Sapori e Saperi: the richness of the experiences we participated in throughout the day, and the personal way this company is run.
Our week in Italy would have felt like so much less without the abundant, rich experiences of our day-long tour. From the start of our day with our tour guide, Francesca, driving up through the mountains of the Garfagnana, we saw territory we would never have covered without a guide. We visited an artisan cheesemaker carrying on her family’s craft, ate a rich picnic with the cheese we’d just bought from her, and waded up the beautiful Orrido di Botri river gorge! The second half of our day toned down the intensity. Francesca brought us to her agriturismo and explained her beekeeping operations, and we went to a village sagra (festival) high up in the mountains.
I didn’t realize before going on the tour that only three people run this company. My friend’s favorite memory of our entire trip in Italy is of sitting and talking over drinks with Francesca and her relative, surveying the beautiful views of the valley from Francesca’s agriturismo. Erica, the managing director, truly cared that we attend the village sagra, and made some incredible arrangements for our travel when we saw a conflict with our flight time. We felt personally cared for by Sapori e Saperi, and enjoyed spending time with them as people. I only wish we could explore with a tour company like Sapori e Saperi in every country we visit.

See more reviews
Reviewed 18 June 2017

My wife and I met the Sapori e Saperi Adventures guide at the Barga train station after a 50 minute trip from Lucca. The guide (Francesca Buonagurelli)-- subject matter expert and fluent in many languages-- took us to tour a 300-year old (and still functioning) water mill, a skilled cheese-maker on an incredible hillside farm in Carasa, and her own farm with her bee hives in Barga. It was a tour de force that we could never have had, but for Sapori e Saperi Adventures and Francesca! This was our best day in our recent Italy trip!

Heather J, Direttore at Sapori e Saperi, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2017

Thank you, David. I'm so glad you enjoyed your day. I hope to welcome you back sometime soon to be able to show you more of our wonderful countryside and passionate artisan food producers and craftspeople. Erica