“Very good but please (please) fix the mattresses”
Review of Hotel Ilaria

Hotel Ilaria
Ranked #4 of 52 Hotels in Lucca
Geneva, Switzerland
“Very good but please (please) fix the mattresses”
Reviewed 11 April 2013

This is a delightful hotel in a great location with dedicated employees, a pleasing ambiance all spoilt by a poor night’s sleep.

Ten of us held a meeting at the Ilaria over 3 days and we could not have been more impressed with the support and the friendliness of just everybody. The large meeting room is in a 14C deconsecrated chapel with its own 17C mural ~ what a great atmosphere. The hotel is really setup for small meetings like ours and solved every problem quickly and without fuss ~ impressive.

The bedrooms are less impressive, but adequate, nicely decorated. The only issue is the bed and the pillow (foam). Everybody in the group complained of poor sleep. Besides this the bathroom is small with a shower in the bath, but has good amenities.

Wifi is free but very variable and generally only good for light browsing and messaging. Forget rich media. We struggled to use Skype ~ an issue.

The breakfast (included in the price) is average, but good enough. Who needs breakfast any way. The food in Lucca is so good and filling that skipping a meal or two becomes de rigor after a day or two.

I suggest avoiding this hotel until this can deliver a good nights sleep and then you have a little gem.

Room Tip: Request a room overlooking the gardens at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank 100nights

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 10 April 2013 via mobile

I booked this hotel based on reviews on this site, but will rely on personal recommendations from now on. Travelling as a single woman, I was initially rather taken aback to have been put in a room that opened onto a terrace where other people were sitting and could see right into my room, as there were no proper curtains. The receptionist said that other people had liked the room and that it was nice and light, and when I pointed out the lack of privacy suggested I keep the blinds down, rather negating the 'nice and light' qualities. She did agree to change the room, though a smile and apology would have been nice.

The room itself was very bland - from the descriptions on this site I had been expecting something with some character, but this could have been any hotel room in any chain in the world. The 'air conditioning' blew out only warm air even when set to 0 degrees. The bathroom sink had a cigarette burn on the side, despite this being a no-smoking room. The bed - I had read here that the beds were firm and hadn't really thought anything of it. Firm is a massive understatement - sleeping on the floor wouldn't have been any worse. The mattress was completely unyielding, and I had hardly any sleep my first night. The next morning, my back was so painful that I was unable to walk for more than half an hour at a time, meaning I spent most of my only day in Florence on the sightseeing bus. After that, I hit on the idea of using a couple of the pillows to cushion myself, which helped a little, but not hugely as they were somewhat old and flat, so I never had more than 4 hours' sleep any of my remaining nights. A proper bedcover would have been nice as well, rather than the single sheet and blanket provided.

The walls were very thin and I could hear everything going on in neighbouring bathrooms, which was rather unpleasant, as well as other people's conversations and TVs. Despite the information pack listing English language news channels on the TV, these were not available. The website also stated that an airport shuttle was available on request; when I enquired about this, I was told there wasn't one, and that they could arrange a taxi for me for €70!

The breakfast was very basic, with no waitress service, and hot drinks available from a machine! Surely in Italy it should be possible to have fresh coffee for breakfast? I have have better breakfasts in a well-known motel chain in the UK, and even basic B&Bs there provide freshly-cooked hot breakfasts to order. I should add that I am widely travelled and have stayed in many hotels all around the world as well as in these more basic ones in the UK, and lived abroad for many years as well, so I am speaking from personal experience. I have no idea how the Ilaria has come by its 4 stars - I stayed in a B&B in Pisa the night before which was so much better (Il Mattino, in case you're interested in booking somewhere - can thoroughly recommend - lots of character, friendly, personal service, and sparkling clean).

Really the only thing good about this hotel was its location, which was handy for the town, though as it's a small town I'm sure many others would have been as useful. Other than that, it provided somewhere to stay, was reasonably clean (though dusty) and the bathroom was fine.

Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
5 Thank Colette1959
Reviewed 9 April 2013

Stayed at the Ilaria for only one night but we would definitely return. The staff are extremely helpful and friendly, whilst the room was very clean and well presented. An excellent shower and complimentary snacks/drinks before 7pm were a welcome sight. The breakfast was very tasty, with plenty of variety.

• Stayed April 2013
MauroCusinato, Direttore at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, 13 April 2013
Goodmorning,

thank you so much for sharing such a kind review here on.
We are pleased to know you think it worths coming back to our hotel.

Hope to see you again,

Best Reagrds
Giulia Colabella
Addlestone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 March 2013

We spent 4 nights there in March 2013.
We found our stay very pleasant indeed. Great location within the old city wall. Great helpful staff, clean functional rooms. Breakfast was OK too, though it could be easily improved, if there were MORE bread choices (real, fresh bread from the local nearby bakery!) and FRESHLY fried egg and bacon, instead of what tasted like the re-heated leftovers of the day before.
Overall, we would definitely recommend it and would stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was looking at the city wall and sometimes there was enough noise to keep us awake at night...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tijdink
Kirkcudbright, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 March 2013

We arrived after arriving at other accommodation and finding it to be not what expected. We arrived at Hotel Illaria and were greeted by friendly staff who were able tp rpovide a room at short notice. The room was clean and had a reasonable view. The hotel has on site car parking and was very convenient for exploring the lovely town of Lucca. The room was modern and well decorated. The walls are thin. Fortunately, we had quiet neighbours, but we could hear sounds in the corridors and nearby. The tea/coffee available in the lounge area at ground floor level was good and included in the room rate. Tasty pastries included as well. Breakfast was in a bright terrace area. Reasonable choice. Good value.

Room Tip: Beware thin walls.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
MauroCusinato, Direttore at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, 6 April 2013
Good evening,

we thank you for writing this kind comment about your stay on TripAdvisor.
It is our pleasure knowing you enjoyed your short stay at our hotel.
We are very sorry if you had problems with sounds.
Thank you very much for writing and for staying with us!

We hope to see you again,

São Paulo, SP
Reviewed 3 March 2013

This hotel has a very friendly staff and is located besides the medieval gate of old town.
Great choice if you want to hang out in Lucca and to rest for a couple days from a marathon made through the Italy. Good bedrooms with king size beds and acoustic windows.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Goodevening,

thank you so much for sharing your review on TripAdvisor.
We are pleased to know you liked our hotel and you apreciated our staff.

We hope to see you again,

Duxbury, Massachusetts
Reviewed 25 February 2013

Ideally located, inside the city walls, close to the center, everything is within walking distance. Very clean, well appointed hotel, desk staff were very helpful. Afternoon coffee/tea in the lobby, and good breakfast.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
MauroCusinato, Direttore at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, 2 March 2013
Good morning,

we thank you for the kind comment left on TripAdvisor and we really hope to welcoming you again!