“Wonderful Hotel in Lucca”
Review of Hotel Ilaria

Hotel Ilaria
Ranked #3 of 51 Hotels in Lucca
Pasadena, California
“Wonderful Hotel in Lucca”
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Recently stayed at the Hotel Ilaria for 2 days in June 2009. We were very fortunate to receive a last-minute booking (bring your Blackberry to Italy --- it is indispensable for making reservations, getting directions, etc) in an apartment in the hotel's adjacent Residencia d'Alba for 230 euro (normally 450). The apartment was huge --- at least 900 square feet, with lovely furnishings, a charming exposed stone wall on one side, a huge king bed, sofa bed, and extra bed to accommodate our three children. The best part of the room, however, was the large round jacuzzi tub in the bathroom. My four-year-old enjoyed it so much that she actually took a bath two times in one day!
The breakfast buffet was the best we found in Italy -- smoked salmon, prosciutto and melon, eggs, and sausage as well as the usual pastries, cereals, and juice. The staff was extremely helpful in providing restaurant recommendations, etc. (highly recommend Trattoria GiGi.) There are cold refreshments available all day, including Diet Coke (normally 3 euro in Italian bars), Prosecco, and wine. Also, free parking and free wi-fi are a big plus. And the hotel has a supply of bicycles for borrowing by the guests, which is terrific. We had such a wonderful time bicycling around the wall surrounding Lucca. Such great memories! We can't wait to go back to Lucca!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank skypark91107
Mauro52, MANAGER at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, 7 August 2009
Dear Morags07,

I'm really happy to read that you liked our new annex and our hotel.
Many thanks for your kind words.
Hoping to see you again,

Mauro Cusinato

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Morags07
Reviewed 24 June 2009

Words can't express how happy I was with the service at Hotel Ilaria & Residenza Alba. I was travelling with two elderly people, one of whom was handicap. Rooms were big and clean. We stayed in the newly renovated annex, which is across the street from the lobby. Breakfast was fresh and plentiful. The service was excellent and the receptionists at the front desk were very kind and helpful. I wish all hotels in Italy were like this one. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed June 2009, travelled with family
Dear Morags07,

I'm sorry for writing you only now.
I'd like to thank you for your kind words on Trip Advisor.
I hope to see you again in the next future,

Best Regards
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 14 June 2009

The Ilaria is a lovely hotel. Its location inside the walls of romantic Lucca is terrific, just a short walk to elegant shops and squares, historic churches, and terrific restaurants. The fact that it has its own protected car park adds greatly to its appeal as parking inside Lucca's walls can be tricky. Rooms are rather basic but a nice size and the bathroom is more than adequate. Buffet breakfast is wonderful with lots of healthy choices, nicely presented, with outdoor courtyard seating (and a lovely indoor room if the weather is inclement). The desk staff was a bit diffident with the exception of a late night gentleman who went out of his way to provide assistance. I was a bit under the weather one evening and he suggested a warm milk with brandy before going to bed. He delivered it to our room, no charge, and expressed his concern for my well-being the next day when I saw him. He also directed us to the only pharmacy in the area that was open on Sunday. Little touches like that go a long way in formulating your opinion of an establishment. It added to what was already a positve experience and left us with a feeling that we will return to the Ilaria on a future trip to one of our favorite towns in Europe.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Dear EuroWhenever,

I' sorry if I write you only now.
I would like to thank you for writing about us and our hotel on Trip Advisor.
I hope to see you again in our hotel,

Best Regards,
Cheshire, UK
Reviewed 11 June 2009

Very convenient location with the added benefit of free parking. Very helpful and friendly staff who will go out of their way to help (thanks, Fabrizio, even if the recommended restaurant was closed unexpectedly!)

Very good breakfast and the "all day" buffet very useful if just a quick snack or pre dinner drink needed. Free use of bikes also a plus in this city where most locals seem to get around on them.

Would certainly return.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Mauro52, MANAGER at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, 8 August 2009
Dear Docand Gilly,
many thanks for your kind comment.
We rally hope to see you again in our hotel,
Maine
Reviewed 9 June 2009

The Hotel Ilaria was very lovely: a beautiful room with jacuzzi and internet access(we treated ourselves to the Tower Room); a breakfast that included everything we needed:coffee, juice, fruit, yogurt, cheeses, meats, rolls and more; bicycles to use to explore Lucca, snacks available all day, including beer and wine. But the best was the generous and helpful spirit of the entire staff. This is perhaps the nicest hotel we have ever stayed at and certainly recommend it highly. It is also very easy to get to as it is very near the Emilia gate, and the free parking was also a plus.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Dear Gemma68,

I'm sorry if I write you only now, but work didn't let me do so before.
Thank you so much for writing about Hotel Ilaria on Trip Advisor and for recommend it to travellers.
I hope to see you again,

Best Regards,
Orlando
Reviewed 2 June 2009

Stayed at this nice property for one evening during a recent whirlwind tour of the area with a group of business associates. We all found it a pleasant, relaxing hotel. My room was located on a beautiful terrace where I sat late into the beautiful evening smelling the jasmine and sending pictures to friends using the wireless internet. I would give it 5 for overall, except for the very small rooms with poor a/c... but I guess that's to be expected in most European places! I would stay here again for sure.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled on business
Mauro52, MANAGER at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, 10 August 2009
Dear Adguyfla,
I would like to tank you for all your kind words and for sudgesting our hotel to travellers.
I am sorry for a/c, we had a problem with it.
However many thanks for staying at Hotel Ilaria.
I hope to see you again in our hotel,
Plymouth UK
Reviewed 30 May 2009

We booked a superior room for two nights on the basis of the website which showed an open window overlooking a garden with a table and chairs outside. When we arrived we were given a choice of a very plain room overlooking the street with a double and a single bed crammed in or a modern box of a room in the annex. This was not what we had expected. When we complained they did give us an upgrade to a suite in the annex but this again had no garden view. The wifi would not work in the annex. We would not have spent this money (£345 for 2 nights!) for such an ordinary hotel. I cannot recommend it as it was such poor value for money and we both agreed that the website photos were very misleading.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank OenophileUK
Mauro52, MANAGER at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, 16 August 2009
Dear Sirs,
I regret the negative experience you have lived in our hotel. Let me explain what happened:
the photo documents the superior rooms overlooking the terrace and the garden, but the hotel has other superior rooms overlooking the historical Via del Fosso. In my opinion all views are beautiful as you see in the gallery, to avoid disappointment after your complaint I did remove the photos with a balcony from our website.

-lacking the availability of superior garden view we decided to compensate for your inconvenience and stay in a superior place in the annex converted from an old medieval church approached the towers in 1200 of Port St. Gervasio; after your further disappointment we decided to house in a suite also located in the same annex.

-Internet connection was not working because of a failure due to the telephone company.

Let me tell you that, by paying € 345, has stayed in a suite in high season which is sold at € 900 for two days.

- Expectations dashed in a vacation is never refundable, but define misleading our site is an opinion too severo. Decine and dozens of reports on tripadvisor and portals show the honesty of our documentation and our work.

I hope to see you again among our guests for darvil'occasione to enjoy our hospitality.