“Great hotel! Strongly recommend.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Ilaria

Hotel Ilaria
Ranked #3 of 53 Hotels in Lucca
Seattle, WA
“Great hotel! Strongly recommend.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2010

We stopped at Il Ilaria e Residenzia during an unplanned stop on a 3 day backroads driving tour of Tuscany. The hotel was beautiful and very conveniently located to the surrounding area. When we arrived, we had a bit of trouble pulling our large sedan into their driveway, but once we got it in, they took care of parking it and positioning it for us when it was time to leave again.

We booked the room on Expedia the night before we checked in and think we ended up getting a fairly significant discount due to the short-notice booking ($98 for a double room that was listed on their website for twice as much).

The only complaint I have about this hotel is that it took 3 phone calls over the course of 4 hours to get them to bring us 2 extra pillows for our bed. Oh yeah, and the bed was pretty darn hard. I had no trouble sleeping on it because I was exhausted, but my husband says he tossed and turned all night long and got a terrible night's sleep.

It should be noted that the in-room wireless internet service was down, but my husband talked to the staff about it and believes they were making a good faith effort to get it repaired (apparently there had been a storm more than a week earlier and the repairman was having trouble diagnosing the problem with its repair).

The breakfast here was the most amazing of all the 3/4 star hotels we've stayed at during our 3 week trip to Italy. There was a great variety of hot and cold food items and the breakfast room was atop the building in a nice garden area.

I would strongly recommend anyone looking for a great hotel experience to stay here!

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
MauroCusinato, Direttore at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, 7 June 2010
Dear Mrs & Mr "tvnewseditor" I appreciate your reviews and we thank also the staff. I'm sorry that you have not slept comfortably, our mattresses are orthopedic and slightly harder than others. I pledge to provide the additional hotel softer mattresses . The wireless network was finally restored after the storm, today June 7, 2010. Hope to see you again to offer you our best services.
Mauro Cusinato

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Edmonton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2010

We had 3 nights in this hotel and extended it to four - we enjoyed it so much. Everyone at the hotel was very friendly and went out of their way to help. They all spoke perfect English which was an added bonus. The breakfast and evening buffet - all included in the price - were plentiful and delicious. Our car was safe in the enclosed free parking and we rode the free bikes everyday. Our room was a good size and we slept very well there. The bathroom was also a good size. Everything was well cleaned daily. Internet was free and worked smoothly. We stayed in the main hotel, but people we talked to from the annex spoke highly of their lodgings as well. The hotel is perfectly located in the walled city. Lucca is a very bike friendly city and we recommend that you borrow the bikes and head out to explore the old city. Be sure to get up onto the wall which is adapted for walking and biking. We definitely intend to return to Lucca and the Ilaria and highly recommend it to travelers.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
MauroCusinato, Direttore at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, 3 June 2010
Dear Edmonton Traveler
is with pleasure that I read your review. The hotel staff and I thank you for having appreciated our work. Your words encourage us to maintain and improve the standard of our services. Our commitment is to welcome and satisfy the guests and we are gratified when your assessments help us to improve. Happy return home. Goodbye to Lucca one of the most bike friendly city in Italy.
St Andrews
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 May 2010

Great hotel. Found it on Trip Advisor and went for it. We stayed in the annexe and the rooms were big and airy with great facilities. The bathroom was excellent with bath and shower. The best part of all was that it was exceptionally quiet at night. The main hotel had a free coffee bar and free bikes which you could use to cycle round the walls, (a must in Lucca). The staff were polite, helpful and attentive. Will certainly use this hotel again and would recommend it.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
MauroCusinato, Direttore at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, 16 May 2010
Dear Weeallymun,

I would like to thank you for writing about us, as you already know it is very important guests opinion!
I'm glad to read that you appreciated your stay at Hotel Ilaria and I thank you to recommend our hotel to travellers.

I hope to see you again in the next future,

springboro
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2010

This staff spoke perfect English and helped us in every way. The hotel provided many amenities. Noise level and very hard beds made for difficult sleeping, but otherwise we were all very satisfied. Breakfast was wonderful in a charming sunporch setting overlooking lovely Lucca.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family
MauroCusinato, Direttore at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, 16 May 2010
Dear lynnSpringboro,

thank you so much for your review on Trip Advisor!
I'm really sorry if that night we had problems with people speaking loud on the common terrace and about the mattresses I inform you that they are all orthopedic, I'm sorry if you didn't find them so confortable.
However many thanks for everything you wrote, we appreciated very much your review.

Trikala, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2010

We stayed with my wife for 3 nights in this hotel and I must say that we have been both impressed.
The location in a picturesque and quiet spot in the heart of old town, the service, the comfortable room, the cleanliness, the free car park and the superb buffet breakfast made our stay unforgettable in this exceptional city. Don't miss it...

PS If only the matresses were a bit softer...

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
MauroCusinato, Direttore at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, 6 May 2010
Dear Trikala,

I'm glad to thank you for your kind words and for writing on Trip Advisor! Your review has given us into the top of the rankings! Also for that reason it has been lovelly reading about your stay! Many many thanks from all the staff and me!

I'd like to see you again in Lucca,

Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2010

We found the hotel here on tripadvisor. They put us in their annex. It was new, modern and had big rooms with the best bathroom of our trip. Right outside of walled city. The internet did not work in the annex. No working hard wired internet and no wireless. Breakfast was a pretty good spread, tailored to Americans. Newspapers were a nice touch. Night staff were definitely better than day staff. Beware that the parking lot is small and you need to give advance notice when you need your car.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled as a couple
MauroCusinato, Direttore at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, 4 May 2010
Dear ItalianTraveler2010,

I thank you for your review on Trip Advisor, it has been very kind writing there!
I apologize if you had problems with Internet connection, but I inform you that in the anex you need the cable. I inform you also that we had a problem with the connection in a room during your stay, perhaps you were there. I'm really sorry for that.

I hope to see you again in the next future,

Horsham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2010

We were lucky to be upgraded to a superior room in the Annex. It was great - spacious and very comfortable. All the staff were most accommodating. Breakfast was plentiful. The jacuzzi was a little exposed to everyone on the terrace. We didn't like the hotel's associated restaurants - overpriced and poor service. Apart from these two gripes, we enjoyed an excellent stay.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
MauroCusinato, MANAGER at Hotel Ilaria, responded to this review, 30 April 2010
Dear Grogetto,

first of all I thank you for writing about our hotel on Trip Advisor, it has been very nice from you.
About the restaurants I'm really sorry and I apologize, I would like to invite you for a dinner next time.