All reviewstre scalinismall hoteltrain stationextra pillowsside streetcharming hotelno liftwalk in showerquiet locationthree starcakesinside the city wallsmodern bathroomheavy luggagelittle gemwould stay here againjacuzzi bath
Reviewed 5 December 2013

This is exactly the type of small, charming hotel I love to stay in when I am traveling in Europe. Albergo San Martino was formerly a brothel, and the rooms are named after the women who worked there. Our room,Tata, was painted a sunny Italian peach with original whimsical art on the walls. Silk drapes hung at the tall shuttered window. The hotel is just inside the city wall and only a 15 minute walk from the train station. Our host was absolutely delightful, the public sitting room was cozy, and breakfast was good.
y and charming, and our breakfast was delicious. The bed was hard, but,hey, this is italy.

Room Tip: Tata was lovely and looked out the front of the hotel onto a quiet lane.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jannycamUtah
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I spent two nights at the Albergo San Martino. I was under the impression the hotel was one building. However, upon arrival, I was told I'd be staying in its sister hotel, Hotel Diana, which is right next store. The Diana has recently been renovated and it shows. My room was spacious and nicely appointed, tiled floors, writing desk and a very comfortable king-sized bed. The bathroom was large by most Italian hotel standards. A major plus. The wi-fi is free and easily accessible. Unlike the main hotel, the Diana does not have its own lobby. It feels more like a private apartment building which I personally liked. Guests are free to use the main lobby and there is a lovely outdoor seating area in front of the main hotel where you can sit, read, order drinks, food. Both hotels are centrally located, very close to Lucca's famed 16th & 17th century ramparts, churches, shops and restaurants. Lucca's a small city so it's very easy to get anywhere and everywhere on foot. Or, as many tourists do, rent a bike. There aren't a lot of cars in Lucca which is great. Most everyone bicycles. Each morning, a bountiful breakfast is served in the main hotel. Cold cuts, cheeses, fruits, yogurts, all sorts of delicious pastries, breads and cakes. My only complaint was that my breakfast was not included. Given the cost of my room, I felt the 10 euros for breakfast was excessive and should have been waived. Otherwise, I would have given the hotel five stars for service & value instead of 4. When making reservations, I strongly suggest you confirm in advance if breakfast is included. One final note: If arriving by train, the hotel is approximately a 5-7 minute walk from the station. When I told a taxi driver where I was going, he suggested I walk and gave me directions. Apparently it wasn't a big enough fare, but as it turned out, I was really glad I made the trek on foot. Along the way, I stopped to take pictures of the ramparts and walking through Lucca's stunningly beautiful, centuries-old stone archway gave me much more of a sense of its history than driving. However, if you're carrying a lot of luggage, you might want to insist on a taxi. All in all, a very good hotel in a gorgeous, laid back Tuscan city. Well worth the trip.

Room Tip: I stayed in the sister hotel, hotel Diana, so I can't comment on the main building. My room had a view of the courtyard and street. Very quiet for the most part.
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 29 October 2013

I stayed three nights in this hotel whilst exploring the fascinating city of Lucca. Although booked as a single my room was huge! It was very comfortable and clean. Breakfasts were also good although there are a limited number of tables inside. On a fine morning one can use the tables on the terrace however. The location is both close to the city centre and to the enormous city wall, and you can wander the streets for hours without getting bored or stroll around the promenade on the wall.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank maxtonmike
Reviewed 16 October 2013

This small hotel in the heart of Lucca is a great place to stay. Good bedrooms...clean, and every thing works. Good breakfast. Happy and attentive staff. Good reserved parking nearby. Narrow streets !!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 October 2013

we chose this hotel as it has parking, the access, be warned, is very very narrow and certainly not suitable for anything other than a normal saloon car and is a 2 to 3 min walk from the hotel but you can unload outside and the staff will lead you to the car park so no problem.

We had a lovely room with a really quirky shower area, we never worked out quite how to work all the showers! There was also a jacuzzi bath, not that we used it, to busy working out the showers!

Staff were friendly and welcoming in the evening, the morning guy obviously got out of his bed on the wrong side but at least breakfast was adequate. We'd certainly stay there again if we were heading to Lucca.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple