“Rude challenging staff... Unfortunately spoilt our trip to Pisa!!” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of NH Pisa

NH Pisa
Ranked #5 of 68 Hotels in Pisa
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Rude challenging staff... Unfortunately spoilt our trip to Pisa!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 June 2012

Started great, awesome location! 5 minutes on the bus from the airport. Unfortunately we made a bit of a howler and booked the hotel for the wrong night... The staff then claimed we were trying to con them and there was nothing they could do.
After requesting to see the manager she was helpful and made up for her colleague's shortcomings.
We ended up having to pay for a 'superior' room which was small and worse than most standard rooms.
The original staff member hounded us on the phone for the next hour saying our card wouldn't work. He said if we didn't go down he'd get us thrown out.
On attending the front desk, straight from the shower, he claimed all my cards weren't working and we needed to find cash ASAP.
We duly went out and got cash from a bank, brought it back to pay... only to find another member of staff had put the charge through on a credit card. We then had a spare €150 in our pocket on the night before flying home... cheers!?!?!
Unfortunately spoilt the whole trip to Pisa!!!

• Stayed June 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
massimo m, General Manager at NH Pisa, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Mr Bartoir

First of all I want to apologize for the inconvenience you had during your stay in Nh Cavalieri.
I understand your disappointment reading your comment.
Honestly I have to say my staff did what they have been ask to do in these cases.
As per your written your reservation was for a different night than the mentioned night.
My staff had to ask you the prepayment of the night simply because this is our chain policy.
They are not allowed to make check-in without any guaranties.
I understand your disappointment on trying many time to charge the amount due, but unfortunately as I am sure you will understand, sometimes all the machines and modern technique do not help the staff on his work.
I want to thank you anyway for your comment because this will be helpful for our improvement on satisfaction.

I hope to see you again in Pisa in order to show you our improvement and our real standard of service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any other further information you may need.

Massimo Moresi

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Polish first
Eindhoven, The Netherlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2012

We stayed for two non-consecutive nights so we could experience two different rooms... first room was up for renovation and definitely not what we expected... however three days later we checked into another floor and we had a great room. Staff was helpful... location is ideally (close to airport) and the walk to the tower is really worthwhile (see the dome, tower and city also when it's dark... makes it a full experience). Breakfast was better than usual (in Italy). Opposite to the station. Take the train and you are in Florence in just 45 min (you can buy tickets at the selfservice ticketbooth and select a time and ticket... also in English). if you have the renovated room than I would recommend. I actually think I will return on a next visit (when we need a sleepover in Pisa to explore Tuscany further).

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the lower floors... these are renovated...upper floors weren't at the time of...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 May 2012

We stayed in Nh Cavalieri for 3 nights! The room although a bit small was tastefully made up! Very modern, functional & comfortable & clean! Breakfast excellent with cooked breakfast, hams, salami and different cheeses, different types of milk, cereals & dried fruit for the health conscious! But the best item of all were the freshly baked croissants! Ideal for people looking for a hotel close to the train station and airport! It is just across from the train station and 5 mins by taxi to the airport!

• Stayed April 2012
2 Thank chipchop076
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 May 2012

I stayed at Cavalieri in Pisa between 28April - 1st of May 2012 and I was pleasantly surprised by what the hotel offered for a rate of 73 EUR / night in a superior room with breakfast. I chose this hotel due to its perfect location according to my plans of visiting Florence the following 2 days. The train ticket costs EUR 14 return ticket per person, but careful which train you take: some of them take 1.5hrs and some take only 50mins; ask when you but the ticket!
The hotel can also be reached on foot from the airport - max 800 meters, very easy to reach. The room was spotless clean, good quality linen, great insulation: although it is located right in front of the train station building, once we closed the double window, you couldn't hear a thing outside. The bathroom was just ok, and i say this because there was a lot of limescale on the bathtub, right at the bottom of the glass - shower curtain, which could have been easily removed. Otherwise, they provided basic toiletries and toothbrush&toothpaste which came in quite handy as my husband had forgotten his at home; cosmetic mirror, hairdryer and nice fluffy towels.
Breakfast was fine, although they only had 1 type of cheese, omelette seemed to be made of powder and not real eggs, the bacon wasn't well cooked and they didn't have any fresh tomatoes/cucumbers/peppers, olives or anything which would have made the breakfast a much better experience, and not necessarily cost intensive for the hotel. But overall, breakfast was fine for the 3 days we spent there: I loved the sliced fresh pineapple. They also had a selection of dried fruits, 2 types of yoghurt, croissants, 3types of salami/ham, jams, honey, selection of bread and juices and most important: 2 expresso machines for coffee & good quality tea(whittard).
Guest service: I noticed here that many comments mention arrogant frontdesk staff. This was not true in my case: everyone was nice, smiling, gave us enough information on what we asked, i did not feel they were arrogant in any way. Again, when we checked out there was a gentleman at the desk who was more than pleasant and friendly to us. We plan to go back for a second visit this year and for sure we'll choose this hotel again.
So, yes, i definitely recommend this hotel if you fly into Pisa and plan the next days for Florence.

Room Tip: Great location & service; very good value for money!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012 via mobile

We based ourselves in Pisa and toured Tuscany on the trains, so being directly opposite the central train station was ideal.

The hotel is one brief stop from the airport and you can see the hotel from the track! It is also just a 15 minute walk to the main attractions.

The hotel was clean, modern and practical and we had no problems while we were there. The room (top floor) had a wonderful view of the busy hustle and bustle of the station from our balcony, which also provided a cool breeze since the room had no air con.

The hotel and it's staff were soulless and without charm however. We were greeted by minimal communication and deadpan expressions by those working at the hotel - a simple hello, or basic eye contact, weren't provided at any point during our stay which was a shame. Everything was slowwwwwwww - at one point I, and one other guest who was getting very cross, waited at the reception desk for more than half an hour before someone appeared to deal with us - there wasn't even a bell to alert them! In fact, I was just in the process of ringing the hotel from the desk when someone appeared.....

Breakfast was included in our rate but we only ate there once. The food was basic and bland, and the atmosphere was dreadful. It was completely silent and as there was no music or any activity occurring, guests simply watched each other like hawks as you got and ate your food which felt very uncomfortable - in fact, we engaged in little communication as it was so quiet that we felt everyone was listening! We chose to eat elsewhere for the next five mornings which cost more money but at least we got something tasty and didn't feel like we were being stared at the whole time by other guests.

We would stay here again for its convenience but next time would arrive with few expectations of the customer service.

I recommend that's you take the train to Viareggio for an upmarket trip to the seaside, and also to Lucca which has real charm.

• Stayed April 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
massimo m, Manager at NH Pisa, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Dear Mrs Rachy,

First of all I want to apologize for the inconveniences you had during your stay in NH Cavalieri.
I understand your disappointment reading your comment.

I have to say honestly it is the first time I read someone of my staff in the reception stay out of desk more than half an hour.

What I am thinking maybe my collegue have been called from an other Guest of the hotel and he had to leave the front desk.

I am very sorry if you had to wait so much time.

Regarding breakfast I want to thank you for your comments.
As I always say to my Staff any complain is an opportunity to understand what we can do in order to improve the satisfaction we are expecting from our Guest.

I really hope to see you again in order to show you our improvement and our real standard of service.

Please do not hesitate to contact me for any further information you may need.

Kindest regards

Massimo Moresi
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2012

It is a nice hotel and great value. Just across the street from the train station. Customer service was just all right, I will say they lack proper trainig. It is a bit far from Leaning Tower, but you can get there easy by bus, bike, taxi...or, you can enjoy the 25 minute walk up main street. If you travel with children make sure to have an umbrella stroller (a regular american stroller will not fit anywhere!) with good Wheels, the sidewalks are very bumpy!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank Ingridpereyra
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 April 2012

Excellent location being across the piazza from the Pisa train station. Clean room with King size bed (two singles pushed together). Substantial breakfast included in room rate. This location also forms the start of self guided walking tours to the leaning tower of Pisa (approx. 3.5 km).

Room Tip: The A/C in room 408 did not work very well, But from the fourth floor had a great view of the Piazza...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple