“Pretty Average”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Stockport, UK
“Pretty Average”
Reviewed 7 July 2014

We booked a 2 night stay in this hotel based on the NH brand, however this is by far the worst hotel in the group we have stayed in.
The reception staff need a rocket up them to make them realise the person in front of them pays their wages and therefore is important, the lack of enthusiasm and customer care was beyond belief.
We were unlucky to be allocated a room that clearly need some TLC, marked walls, stained carpet and air con that was about as powerful as a 1970 hair dryer.
Location was good for the station and airport bus.

Room Tip: One that's been refurbed
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Leicester
Reviewed 7 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 5 nights spending one night in Florence. We took the advice of other reviewers and upgraded to a superior room at a cost of €10 a night and it was well worth the extra. The rooms aren't spacious but have everything you need. Breakfast was good but the coffee on the other side of the road is fantastic.
The bus to the tower stops right outside and is the Lam Rossa and tickets cost 2€ which need to be validated on the bus. The hotel is ideal for exploring by train and we had a great day at the beach . Enjoy.

Stayed July 2014
Washington
Reviewed 6 July 2014

I stayed at NH Cavalieri following a recommendation from the coordinator of the group I was meeting. I was only there one night and I am not sure I would stay there again. The hotel is very fairly well located as it is across from the train station. It is about a 20-minute walk from the central historic area and the tower - I had to walk it. If you want to go to the tower you can get a bus in front of the hotel but make sure you have the 2-euro or a ticket as they won't take you otherwise.

The hotel was fairly modern and relatively clean. I did see a hair on the floor in the bathroom which is always a red flag. However I did not see anything else out of place. As I was there one night and by myself I got their smaller 64 euro room. It was so small I had to climb over my big suitcase to get to the bathroom. The room was also on the first floor right next to the elevator which I could hear go up and down. I am a LIGHT sleeper so I got almost no sleep due to this. The bed and pillows were also so hard and heavy I could not find a comfortable position to sleep in.

When I first checked in the older gentleman at the front desk was relatively friendly as I tired to speak Italian to him. However the next day when I needed to change some money and get the right change to get on the bus I got zero help! I WASTED an hour and a half looking for a place to exchange money near the hotel as they kept telling me to go places that did not exchange money - the two Western Unions, three banks and the Chinese shop they referred me to do not exchange money. They should have known this instead of wasting my time and other people I ran into with the same exact issue. Two lovely English ladies got the same run around. I could have spent my time much more wisely. Advice - go to the tower and there is a really nice shop there that exchanges money.

What really annoyed me and tempts me to give them a 1 on customer service was the fact I had to go to the front desk several times to get them to give me the right change so I could get the bus to the tower. I never got the right change and had to walk 20 minutes on a hot day!!! I am a walker but have a bad knee so the walk on a hot day was annoying!!! I waited for three different buses - they come about every 15 minutes and never could take the bus as the hotel REFUSED to give me the right change. I needed a 2-euro coin and they finally gave me change with a 5-euro bill after asking three different times. They should have known I needed a 2-euro coin. I was able to come up with the change to get a ride back but I cannot tell you how uncomfortable my knee was after the hike!

Several people complained about the front desk service while I was there. The younger man tried to be helpful but the older balding man had a real attitude. I told the coordinator not to recommend them ever again.

Room Tip: If you are going to the tower you might want to stay closer. This is at least 20 minutes from there...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled solo
Dorset, UK
Reviewed 5 July 2014 via mobile

My experience of the reception staff was quite different from some other reviewers. I was there on my own and felt comfortable and well looked after, getting welcoming greetings every time I walked through reception. Have stayed here many times and always found it to be excellent. Great location for transport too.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank mrandmrsmac
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 5 July 2014

The best thing that I can say about this hotel is that it is convenient to the train station . Staff generally speaking do not seem interested . Food at best average . Bedrooms were terrible , bed linen smelt like fried chicken and the room needed a good clean . Curtains full of holeswhich had been patched with tape . At $112 per night , still way overpriced . Consider other options

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Lynne H
East Sussex, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2014

We got this hotel, with 3 nights B&B through a package deal, that included flights with British Airways. Trust me, the difference in service with B.A. compared to our normal cheapy airlines Easyjet & Ryanair. No comparison.

Anyway, the hotel it sems is mainly for business / backpackers, overnight stayers. The entrance / reception area very up to date / modern & clean. The restaurant/breakfast area also very modern & clean.

The bedrooms can be a bit on the small side, but they put us in one with an extra bed, so we obviously had a larger room. The rooms were lovely & clean, but I think they could do with a tad sprucing up. They were not as up to date as the rest of the hotel, but they were good enough for a few days.

The breakfasts we had were spot on. One of the best we have had, plenty of everything from fresh fruit, cereals, toast, scrambled eggs, bacon, sausage, fresh croissants, meats & cheeses, yogurts, & ample fresh fruit juices, tea, coffee etc. We could not fault it, nor the hotel. The staff were very friendly & helpful and the location of it opposite the main train line, ( And Macdonalds, sad I know) were excellent, with an easy access to Florence by train, non stop in forty minutes, or stopping train, about 1 hour 10 minutes. 15 euro return.

My wife & i came for a few nights break and obviously to visit the Leaning Tower & Florence. As has been said before, there is not a lot in Pisa after seeing the Leaning Tower, but there is still plenty to see & do, especially if you just get a map & stroll around the City. If its nightlife you want, this is definitely not for you.

If you take a walk up to the river & through the streets, there are plenty of snack bars & restaurants. There's a lovely walk through the shopping plaza on the way, with numerous little bars to sit outside in the sun for a drink. You will find that the drinks are particularly expensive, especially bottled / draught lager & spirits, as it is in most major cities.

I would recommend the hop-on, hop-off open top bus ride for 15 euro's, which you can use for 24 hours, and in the very humid temperature, the breeze on the top of the open air bus is beautiful, and a great way to see most of Pisa.

The only downside to it is the street sellers who are constantly trying to get you to buy anything from hats, pictures, glasses, watches, umberella's, to all the normal cheap, tacky souvenirs.

Lovely hotel, lovely place, but the place to be really is Florence.

Room Tip: One at the front of the hotel with a balcony.
Ayr, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Good location opposite the railway station. There is now a non-stop bus service from the back of the station (platform 14) to and from the airport.
Rooms have all been up-dated. They are basic but very comfortable.
If the dinning room is not open for dinner, there is a good restaurant nearby. The staff will give you directions.

Review collected in partnership with NH Hotels