“POOR!”
Review of Grand Hotel Duomo

Grand Hotel Duomo
Ranked #20 of 68 Hotels in Pisa
Reviewed 25 August 2014

How anyone can give this hotel more than one star is a joke. We arrived after staying in a five star hotel in the centre of Florence which was fantastic, and I must say I was expecting something half decent as it's advertised as a four star. How wrong was I. The whole hotel needs a complete revamp. The bedrooms were very small, and not very clean. The bathroom was grubby and the shower was covered in mould. Breakfast was well below par for that standard of hotel. However I do have one good point about it, and that was we had a fantastic view from our room. But all in all not a place I recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Write a ReviewReviews (1,265)

Reviewed 24 August 2014

we booked online thinking this 4 star hotel would be adequate for the 3 nights that we were there for ,but that photo's are deceiving ,the bathroom wall had mould on it ,the room were very basic indeed ,breakfast was disgusting, and gave me and my friend a dodgy stomach on the 1st day that we were supposed to be exploring the area ,the photo's that are put online are to make you think it is luxury ,I've been conned out of my hard earned money coming here ,please don't make the same mistake as me and my friend did. the sounds at night were very loud and keep me awake until the early hours every single night I was there ,PLEASE DONT COME HERE !! I DONT WANT YOU TO HAVE THE SAME EXPRIENCE THAT ME AND MY FREIND HAD !

Room Tip: Do not stay here please I beg you people who are booking ,I tell you for your own good !!!!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 August 2014

This large hotel is just steps to the tower of Pisa. If you go onto the rooftop terrace you can see the tower and the Duomo. The hotel has an elevator, helpful caring staff, gift shop, street parking (pay a small permit fee) and an included breakfast (which I had to leave before enjoying) Free WIFI that worked for the most part.

Room Tip: Great Views, Excellent location to Pisa Tower
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank DiAnnesInLove
Reviewed 18 August 2014

I recently stayed at the Grand Hotel Duomo and it was well worth it! The location was fantastic being a couple hundred meters away from the Duomo, Torre (Leaning Tower of Pisa), and Baptistry. The 5th floor, rooftop view was amazing at night. Breakfast is available and is the standard spread - pastries, fruit, breads, cereal, sliced meats, cheese, etc. Nothing fancy, but just enough to enjoy. They have a bar/lounge area if you're in the need for an evening drink. The hotel staff were all very friendly and helpful. I only stayed for one night, but would definitely stay again the next time I'm in Pisa.

A couple things to note on the rooms ~ I went solo and had a single room, perfectly fine for me as I don't need much, so keep your expectations down. The sheets were clean and the bathroom/shower was fine. I did however find a single sock behind the door (probably the previous occupant??). Housekeeping needs to be a little bit more careful when cleaning. I'm pretty easy going so I dismissed it, since everything else was fine in the room. I do a quick scan of everything, down to my sheets.

The room also came with free WiFi ~ not very reliable, spotty at best, but again, I'm easy going so I was fine without it for the 1 night I was there. If you're big on having the WiFi as your primary amenity, then steer clear of this hotel.

Overall ~ LOCATION, great value, friendly staff, and I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank 0Lenster1
Reviewed 17 August 2014

This hotel's perfect location right by the Leaning Tower is a double edged sword. It has the potential to be something quite fantastic, but where the hotel is situated means that it doesn't have to be. It is basic and clean, but tired. Rooms offer the bare minimum in comfort; there are no coffee making facilities or an iron. No laundry facility either. The view goes a little way to compensate this.
Breakfast offered is ample but on our visit, chaotic at times. The dining room has several large round tables seating 8 rather than a mix of tables for smaller parties. For those preferring a more intimate breakfast, this set up may not be suitable for you.
There are tables and chairs on the roof top offering further views of the tower and red roof tops of the city. This area has the potential to offer so much more.
Reception staff are civil and will help you if they can. The friendliest staff were the cleaners. The bar area does not open until the evening.
There are several restaurants nearby, the side streets away from the main thoroughfare offer better food at a more reasonable price.
This hotel is not awful, but the lack of foresight from its owners made it a frustrating place to stay. If you just want a night to stay over to see the tower, stay here, if you want somewhere special you may find better elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a tower view.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Literally less than 100 yards away from the Leaning Tower, the location is absolutely optimal. The rooftop terrace is just icing on the cake.

This was where my wife and I spent our first night in Italy on a recent trip to Tuscany. We'd seen on Google Maps that it was very close to Pisa's Cathedral/Leaning Tower complex, but we didn't expect to be THAT close to the action - For us, it was a very pleasant surprise.

The best perk of this location, is that it allows you to wake up in the morning and - before anyone else has had a chance to get down there - sneak in some near-solitary time walking around Pisa's most popular tourist attraction. It makes for such a different experience than when you are out at midday among the throngs of tourists.

A bottle of wine on the rooftop at sunset makes for the best possible end to a day of sightseeing.

A few quibbles / cautions:

- Pisa is a bit buggy, and your room may have some mosquitos. They like to hide in the bathroom floor drain, so it may be worth your while to pour some hot water down there on arrival to clear them out
- It's not the quietest of locations. Not a big deal for us as we are night owl types, but if you are looking for calm and restful, this might not be for you

In general though, this is a great hotel in a great spot - highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank btrain16
Reviewed 26 July 2014

We arrived quite late, 7pm as we had engine failure on our motorbike and had to push it the last 500 yards (past the leaning tower, I wish I had a picture of that)! The reception staff were so helpful, They helped us with arranging a garage and the potential of an extended stay at the hotel if the bike needed more time. No extra costs involved and at the rate we had booked originally. Very good,

The frontage of the hotel doesn't inspire confidence but once through the doors is it contemporary but retaining some character. It has as air of comfort and style.

The room was clean, comfortable and an oasis of calm, a minutes walk to the tower etc. We were able to enjoy an evening walk, seeing the sights and having a decent pasta in a local restaurant.

We had a good night sleep and the bike fixed! Hooray.

Room Tip: If you want a view of the Leaning tower, it can be seen from the rooms on the main road. NOT the en...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple