“Best place ever to stay”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Pisa
Hotel Locanda "La Lanterna"
Ranked #43 of 68 Hotels in Pisa
Reviewed 23 August 2010

We stayed at this lovely little b and b last month for 1 week. We had a very warm welcome, the staff were very professional and extremely friendly, they could'nt do enough for us. Our room was on the third floor, it was very spacoius and stylish, we had a great balcony looking onto the Botanical gardens which was a plus. The room itself was very quiet so we slept very well and it had all the comforts of a first class hotel. The owner herself brought us clean towels everyday and she also put fresh sheets on the bed everyday too. It was very clean and comfortable. I cannot praise this place enough, we really enjoyed our stay and would stay there again. Just a few metres from the Field of Miracles, a great location, great bars and restaurants nearby.We also had air-conditioning which was great as it was very hot.We would like to thank the owner and staff for a lovely stay.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
4  Thank susanfuso

Reviewed 20 August 2008

generally nobody speak English there. when cleaning lady destroyed my personal belongings left in the room, I couldn't communicate with anyone. disaster!

Stayed: August 2008
1  Thank Anna022
Reviewed 19 May 2008

My boyfriend and I stayed two nights in the hotel's dependence, San Ranieri, just round the corner, and well, the building and the location are OK, nothing against it, but the positive things end here.
The evening of arrival our plane was getting late (we were returning from Bari) and just when my boyfriend pulled out his cell phone to inform the hotel of the delay the phone rang and the hotel keeper started shouting at my boyfriend accusing him of I don't know what for being so late. Didn't want even to listen about plane being late or his wanting to call himself - and this even though the reception is always occupied! After a phone fight of several minutes my (Tuscan) boyfriend managed to get the confirmation that we were still expected, and indeed, by the time we got to Pisa the hotel guy seemed calmed down, took us over to our room, helped us with luggage - seemed normal.
The room was sort of OK even though not as nice as on the photos - but this is our bad luck, the other rooms I saw were nicer. Entering the bathroom, however, I was amused to see the tiny hotel-like shower gel bottles half-empty and, then,woman's hair in the sink, and some on the toilet - probably of the person who did the cleaning. Having someone's hair in your bathroom is not encouraging, especially if you find several nits stuck on each of them... No need to say I had to spent a while making sure the pillows were hair-free...
Since we did not have breakfast and had two days booked we decided to sleep in late the next morning. After all it was well past 1 am when we got to bed. When we got out of the room the next morning at not yet 11 am, the elderly southern Italian looking lady taking care of the dependence and probably the proprietor (and the mother of our nightly welcoming host) greeted us with "I hope you are not going to stay in bed as long tomorrow". We assured her that we were leaving much earlier the next day and went for some lengthy walks. We got back home well after 10pm and there she was downstairs asking us again when we wanted to leave. 8 am, we say. "Oh so you must settle the bill, it would be ready waiting for you over at the Lanterna". Tired as we were, off we went to do something one normally does the morning one leaves. While shutting the door behind us my boyfriend gave a "Never ever again" sigh. Five minutes later we returned with the settled bill and the lady went "What is it I heard? Never again? Something you do not like? Anything you want to tell? Do I not let you stay here?" and even after our trying to escape saying it is all fine she went on shouting things like "I keep your room clean, and It is not me who stays in bed until after noon!" for ten more minutes. Back in the room, we realized she really was in there. And how. She moved things left on the chair to the wardrobe and shelves, shutting the shoes away where I could hardly find them... An experience of course, but my boyfriend is right - Never Ever Again!

• Stayed: May 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank bradipina
Reviewed 13 May 2008

Based ourslves here for two weeks while we explored Pisa and visited other places such as Florence and Siena etc. Authentic old Italian house with much character and charm, which was what we wanted instead of a modern hotel that could be anywhere. We had a double room on the third floor. Nice big comfy bed and simple but elegant furnishings. En-suite was small but perfectly adequate. Some street noise early in the morning as we had the windows open but that is all part of being somewhere different and we soon got used to it. Every thing was kept very clean and tidy throughout our stay. Owners were welcoming, friendly and helpful in spite of having no English and us no Italian - dictionary helps! Location was great, right in the heart of old Pisa and only 10mins walk from train and bus stations. Botanical gardens behind the hotel are lovely (and free!)Lots of great places to eat within easy walking distance, Nice bakery just down the road for breakfast and sandwich shop for al fresco lunches. Campo de Miracoli only a few minutes walk away and is especially nice at night, floodlit and peaceful. Good value for money. Would stay here again anytime.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank milesmarion
Reviewed 12 April 2008

Good central location, however windows obviously aren't double glazed and the street is very noisy throughout the night.
Bathroom was tiny and dirty! Found hairs in the shower, and the top part of the mirror was covered in dust and found an old used soap packet!

• Stayed: April 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 October 2007

I've stayed here 3 times - admittedly there's no lift and the old couple who run it don't have much (any) English but they are very friendly and helpful.
The rooms are big and you can ask for one with a balcony so that you can sit outside, sip a glass of wine and see the duomo (and take a rest from the climb). It's 5 minutes from the field of miracles. There are rooms on the first floor without too many stairs.
No breakfast but there are 2 places, next door and across the road which do coffee, juice and panini for a reasonable price (breakfast for 3, * euros).
I've also stayed on the other side of the river in a more conventional hotel but much prefer this one.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled with family
5  Thank viajerazul
Reviewed 23 July 2007

Stayed at this Locanda for one night between the 12 and 13 July 2007.

On arrival first impression was quite good. On being give the key to our room we were informed that this was located on the third floor. My husband asked “Where is the elevator?”. Reply: “No elevator I’m afraid, this is an old building you know!” Okay, so up we go three flights with our luggage.

The room very large with an oversized wardrobe! Also has another adjoining bedroom (which we did not ask for) from which you had to pass to go to the ensuite shower.

After three flights with our luggage we were out of breath and feeling very hot! So the first thing we did was look for the air-conditioner remote. No where to be found. No idea how to switch on. Okay I pick up the phone to ask the man at reception how to put the aircon on. No instructions as to what button to press! Tried to usual numbers of 1, 9 and 0 only to get an outside line. No connection to reception?

With no intention of going down once again the three flights and back up, we resigned ourselves to having a shower and change for dinner. At least the shower would cool us down.

Spent at least five minutes figuring out how to switch on the light in the shower room. The cubicle is miniscule with barely enough space to squeeze in. My hubby and I are quite small – can’t imagine someone larger trying to shower in that small space.

Ready! We went down to reception on our way out for dinner. Asked: how do you switch on airconditioning. The elderly smelly man who was now at reception tried to explain in an “it is very easy, how come we don’t know tone” that we had to locate the switch to which the wire of the airconditioning was attached and put it on. After this explanation I asked that I tried to phone reception to ask about this but did not manage. What was the number I should press? Answer: None. It does not work!

This is taking long, so I’ll cut a long story short, anyway, I am sure you have made you judgements by now. All I want to add is, they are not able to pass through any calls to your room cause the exchange does not work “and they did not bother to fix it” – quote. Also they do not serve breakfast.

Paid €75 for the room, which is quite expensive considering that we paid €80 for a room in centre of Florence, 4 days after, also for 1 night inclusive of breakfast (with elevator, not to mention all the other huge differences).

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple