“I'd be the size of a house if I stayed longer”

Fattoria San Donato
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed 12 December 2013

Such an interesting place and experience.
The family which run this are great and friendly.
The food is fab - the breakfast goes on for ages and was the best we had in Italy. The evening meal (if you can have one) is out of this world and comes with endless wine. The wild boar salami is amazing.
The wine made here is excellent and good value - we only had a couple of better wines anywhere in Tuscany.
The sprawling estate is so picturesque if a little rustic (in the rooms).
We were two adults and a 4 year old and they put us in a 3 bed apartments (guess we were upgraded).
It is really good value - they don't hit you with any extras (didn't even charge for our little one's food).
No A/C, but heat doesn't bother me.
One night it did pour with rain and the electrics shorted out while we were cooking. I managed to find the owner who rigged up an extension lead. The place could be world-class with some investment, but I doubt they'd see their money back and it would put it out of our price range and lose its charm.
The pool and facilities in general are great.
We stayed away from the main entrance so were not bothered by wandering coach tourists.
I would go back in a heartbeat.

Room Tip: we were the other side of the road from the office
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank sebbieLondon
There are newer reviews for Fattoria San Donato

Reviewed 15 November 2013

We were two couples and booked a two bedroom apartment with breakfast for 3 nights. The accommodation is in ancient stone buildings restored to a high standard. The bedrooms were spacious with well-equipped en suite facilities (NB: shower only). The kitchen/dining/sitting room was just big enough for 4 although we dined out. The overall impression was very favourable.The buildings are very close to each other so there were no views from the apartment. However, the pool area gave the most fabulous views across the Tuscan hills. I didn't get very far with my book - I kept looking up to absorb the view.

Breakfast was served in a separate building with the option to eat outside. The range of choices was good without being excellent.

We missed out on dinner at San Donato having already booked a restaurant that we particularly wanted to eat at (Casalta, Strove). As noted by another reviewer, it would be good to know in advance the evenings when a dinner is offered. We should have asked on arrival!

Our hosts were very helpful in recommending a walk from the farm.

I couldn't get a reliable wifi connection. Other guests had the same experience.

Fattoria San Donato is the perfect place for a relaxing experience in the Tuscan countryside. It is also very convenient foir San Gimignano.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JohnScott48
Reviewed 11 November 2013

I almost hesitate to write this review in fear that I will never be able to get a reservation here again ... it was that great!!!
Everything about my time at the Fattoria San Donato was incredible... The owners, Umberto and Frederica were gracious and welcoming. They truly enjoy their guests as much as the guest enjoy their stay there. We traveled with my sister and her husband and all four of us shared the same feelings. Our rooms were wonderful ... certainly not fancy, but isn't that the reason we chose this type of B&B??? We had absolutely everything we needed ... spacious, clean rooms with plenty of hot water. The apartments had a small kitchen which neither of us used ...who wants to cook while on vacation (not me!!!). Plenty of great restaurants in the surrounding villages we visited ... San Gimignano, Siena, Volterra, ....not to mention the wonderful evening meals you can choose to have there at the farm.
Breakfasts were great ... I will always remember my early morning coffee under the olive tree...
Our time there was serene and peaceful ...I didn't want to leave... I truly loved every minute!
I can't wait to return ... perhaps in 2 years for my 65th birthday ...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank wldflwr003
Reviewed 6 November 2013

This is a very nice family run B&B and organic farm.

Pro's
Beautiful grounds and very convenient location to San Gimignano and other Tuscan towns
Rooms are rustic and comfortable
Family members (including dogs) are friendly and accommodating
Great wine and olive oil produced on grounds
Delicious dinner composed of farm grown organic products is available on weekends

Cons
Internet only works in common area - not in villas or rooms
Non family workers at B&B are not very friendly or accommodating
Breakfast was very basic - even by European standards - not worth the expense

Summary - enjoyable experience -

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 October 2013

I want to preampt by saying that we didn't stay at San Donato's B&B, but visited its beautiful grounds and small in-house shop.
We've first visited San Donato's winery about 5 years ago and had the fondest memories...and its still as great as it was then. We purchased their olive oil (you cannot get that quality of oil in Canada, you simply cannot) and two bottles of wine. Their grounds are Tuscany-picture-perfect and its just a delight to walk around.

Room Tip: Its not so much a room that I would recommend, but the olive oil - if you are traveling across the p...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We stayed here for 3 nights in June 2013. Nice large rooms, basic but everything there and clean. Lovely setting, beautiful old stone buildings and very close to the town of San G. Breakfast a typical Tuscan breakfast with breads, cheese and meats. The dinner the hosts arranged for us all was lovely and our first chance to taste authentic Tuscan food with wine from their winery. Our kids loved it here - it was really hot when we arrived and the pool was a fantastic chance to cool down. There is lots of space to run around and our kids loved the dog. Good value overall.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank NZFamilyTravellers5
Reviewed 20 October 2013

We stayed for 3 days here and it was lovely. Since it was late September when we were there, it was very clear this is a working farm. Harvesting and processing was going on all day and our charming hosts were definitely in their busiest time. This did not affect the warm welcome, or our enjoyment even though sometimes we had to wait a bit to do the administrative things (like check in and out).

The fact that this is a working farm was definitely part of the experience. We had one dinner there with the other guests with all food from the farm (the amazing veggies, wine and olive oil) or from close by and with the hosts encouraging us to enjoy and eat, eat! before they collapsed deservedly in their beds.

We had a one bedroom apartment. A very good size, with kitchen, living room and a large, comfy bedroom. We enjoyed a glass of wine each evening on the grounds by the pool overlooking the valley surrounded by lavender and rosemary bushes.

San Gimignano is a few minutes drive away and we went there for two of our dinners - it is much quieter there at night than in the day, and a beautiful town. There is a large grocery store in Poggibonsi on the way to the farm for all you need. But get your wine at the farm - it's good. I brought their organic olive oil home - yum.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple