“A perfect Tuscan retreat”

Casolare di Libbiano
Ranked #6 of 67 San Gimignano B&B and Inns
Dubai, Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“A perfect Tuscan retreat”
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We were out on a 10 day EuroTrip and we landed up in Casolare di Libbiano after the first 4 exhausting days. I have to say, our best experience in our entire trip to Italy were the 2 nights we stayed here

Early mornings with great breakfast spread, lazy afternoons & lovely evenings. It was perfect. It was truly a paradise for us.

We are vegetarians, and Berta/Andrea took extreme care in making sure they prepared the best Veg Italian Dishes. They had a 4 course meal, and Andrea explained to us each dish that was prepared by them. Lot of them were experiments, which were very unique. Presentation was top notch.. Our Check out was early morning at 7 AM, while their breakfast opens at 7:30.. So they laid out breakfast for us the night before so that we could have breakfast before we left (which 5 star hotel does that?!)

And San Gimignano is a great town nearby with a small marketplace with coffee shops & restaurants.

Small points for people willing to stay here.
They don't have TV's or iPod Docks inside your rooms. They are bare bone but very clean. I've seen some complain for the lack of modern amenities, but we were just fine without them. Its a retreat from the daily hustle and bustle. I'm sure guests and do without them for a few days.

The cellphone reception is kinda poor. So you should keep that in mind.

Be sure to ask for the La Rossa Room if available. Its the one that overlooks the front courtyard. We stayed in that room, and its lovely especially in the mornings.

The only reason why we gave a star less to the overall rating was because the fans are too slow (They have ceiling fans)..And it gets sweaty during the day and even night during Summer.

This was our first ever trip to Italy, and CdL made it very memorable. All in all a great package. I would love to get my parents to this place the next time.

Room Tip: Ask for the La Rossa Room Be sure to try the food made by them instead of heading out to a nearby r...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stayed at Casolare di Libbiano in May 2013 on our first trip to Italy and thought is was absolutely wonderful. We found Casolare by searching the Internet and then after asking a few questions via email - which Berta responded to very quickly - we decided to take a chance and booked six nights. We liked the option of having dinner at this place and intended to have a few dinners rather than going out for dinner each night. However, after our first dinner we had a second, and then a third and eventually had dinner at Casolare on each of the six nights because the food was fantastic. Each dinner consisted of four courses and over the six nights, not one course was repeated. The quality of the food, the presentation and the service were excellent. We had their homemade wine each night, too. It was very nice to eat at our own table for dinner (and breakfast) and the evening was complimented by soft classical music. On our last night, the chef emerged from the kitchen with a few delicious homemade biscotti as a farewell treat which we thought was a very nice gesture. It was fun to read the dinner menu on a chalkboard outside the dining room each night prior to dinner. Our room had a view over the front courtyard which was filled with pots of colourful flowers. We could hear owls, pheasants and church bells. Coming from Canada it was great to eat breakfast on the outdoor patio and swim in the pool -- in May!! After a busy day exploring we relaxed in the afternoon with a cappuccino or a glass of wine by the pool or on one of the many patios. I was delighted to discover that Berta makes an excellent pot of English Breakfast tea which she serves with a McVities digestive - ironically, my favourite. Berta and Andrea were extremely friendly and made us feel very welcome. We have travelled to several countries and always stay at a bed and breakfast usually for at least one week. This is often risky when staying at a new place. However, our decision to stay at Casolare was a good one and we would definitely stay at Casolare again

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank WilliamsDE
Dover, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I should start by admitting to having an Italian mother, and a, sister who is married to an Italian and lives with her family in Le Marche, so I am probably bias in my love of Italy, but I shall try and be objective about this review.
Wonderful, terrific, amazing, stupendous, stunning, brilliant, relaxing.....ok, so I failed!
What I am trying to convey is, that having travelled to Italy many, many times, this was without a shadow of a doubt, the best holiday my wife Jackie and I have EVER had, and that includes staying at The Danieli Hotel on The Grand Canal in Venice.
From the moment we arrived having driven from Kent via Riva del Garda, Bologna, and my sister's, we fell in love with Il Cassolare. We were hot and tired after driving across country, but were shown to our accommodation, The Junior Suite Gialla. Separate from the main building, our room (calling it a junior suite may be streteching it a bit!), it featured a comfortable bed, clean bathroom with one of those complicated, multi-function showers I can never get the hang of, and best of all, a quiet overhead fan on the beautiful tiled ceiling. Outside was our private terrace with chairs and table, then it was down three or four steps, another three or four strides, and into the beautiful pool. Wow! We were perking up already. Everywhere you looked, from any angle, the gardens and the scenery beyound, were breathtaking, but after all, Il Cassolare is situated 2 kms down an unpaved road in the middle of a huge nature reserve!
Dip in the pool, shower, and then off to dinner which you have to order in advance as everything is freshly prepaired from local produce and herbs from their garden. I can strongly recommend the local white wine which is produced from their vineyard "just over there"! By now I hope you are getting a "feeling" for Il Cassloare but the best is yet to come. Dinner! How does
Zuccini flowers and sage leaves in batter
Ravioli stuffed with mozzerella and tomatoes (homemade, of course)
Beef slices in a tuna sauce
Thin slices of pear soaked in a) red wine, and b) wine wine, together with vanilla icecream and crushed pistachio nuts, sound????
After that first evening, all our previous plans went out the window. No charging around visiting the sights, but we did briefly visit Siena. We decided just to chill out by the pool for the week. It must be said, however, Il Cassolare would not suit everybody. It is 15/20 minutes away from just about anywhere so if going out for an evening meal, someone will have to drive back, but quite frankly why would you bother.
Berta, Andrea and their staff were attentive, unobtrusive, and just plain wonderful. Our week flew by and it was time to leave. Didn't want to but as none of my trousers seemed to fit anymore, we thought it best.
As you may have guessed from this rambling, unbiased and impartial review, I loved evey minute of our stay. Berta and Andrea were the perfect hosts... I love them both!
If you just want to relax by a beautiful pool, soak up the sun, take your foot off the throttle and just chill out, this is the place. Just one final warning though, bring elasticated waistband clothes!
ENJOY BECAUSE YOU WILL.

Room Tip: Go for The Junior Suite Gialla!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank paul l
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 July 2013

My mum and I had never been to Italy, and staying at a place like this has definitely convinced us to come back! The b&b is in an idilic location in the heart of Tuscany and Berta and Andrea were fantastic hosts. They created such a homely atmosphere but with 5 star touches; the food is some of the best I've ever had (my mum and I ate there every night because it was just so good)! Everyone from couples to families would have a very enjoyable stay I'm sure and on top of the perfect accommodation you're in driving distance from Florence and Sienna. Honestly, one of the most incredible holidays I've had in a very long time and most of it is thanks to Berta, Andrea and their wonderful b&b.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed 26 July 2013

We have found our paradise retreat in Italy. A place for complete relaxation in this charming out of the way tastefully decorated property with it's beautiful garden and adequate swimmingpool. Berta and Andrea have created a very informal and homely atmosphere and make their guests feel personally welcome. The 4 course evening meal they provide is of gourmet class to a very reasonable price of €28 per person which can be accompanied by a good selection of wine from €10 and up,according to your budgett! Perfectly positioned in easy reach of St Gimignano, Siena, Florence, Volterra, Luca, the Chianta Route and even Montalcino and Montepulciano for a daytrip. We love it here so much that we have already been back 5 times during the past 7 years and we are already planing for a return visit in 2014. We can' be in Italy without visiting Il Casolare!
Jonathan and Grete, Oslo, Norway,

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2013

The B&B run by Berta and Andrea is first class. They are professional, caring and accommodating of your personal needs - nothing is too much trouble for them to make sure your stay with them is just what you were hoping for. My daughter and I stayed in the Guilia accommodation, outside the main building where meals were served, just next to the outdoor swimming pool. It was a lovely room. Evening was tastefully decorated. The food was excellent, and my tip - book in for one of their Tuscany cooking lessons, as we had so much fun doing that. A great place to relax and unwind. I agree, Berta and Andrea are the perfect hosts, and did indeed share their paradise with us.

Room Tip: The Guilia room is great for one or two people.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 22 July 2013

Berta and Andrea want to share their home, and a little piece of paradise, with you. That's exactly what they do. The accommodations are beautiful and tastefully decorated, and your hosts are absolutely wonderful. Nothing is too much for them, they are kind and caring people. Our stay was short, and we didn't want to leave. It was so beautiful and peaceful. Loved it. Totally recommend doing one of the cooking lessons, great fun and very informative. Thank you for a wonderful time, Berta and Andrea.

Room Tip: The Guilia room was a very short distance away from the main building where meals were served, and s...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family