Agriturismo Poggiacolle
Le Colline(San Gimignano)
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Sovestro(San Gimignano)
View Hotel
Hotel Bel Soggiorno(San Gimignano)
  • Restaurant
Hotel Casolare le Terre Rosse(San Gimignano)
View Hotel
La Cisterna Hotel(San Gimignano)
  • Breakfast included
Le Vecchie Mura(San Gimignano)
  • Restaurant
All reviewshost stefanoinfinity poolshared kitchentrue gentlemanolive oilwashing machinegreat accommodationlarge apartmentsitting roomfull kitchenown bathroomwonderful placecommon areastuscan hillsmodern amenitiesone bedroom apartmentstunning views
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 November 2012

My husband and I stayed 5 nights at Poggiacolle during Oct and Nov 2012 in the studio-flat. We could not have been more pleased. The other reviews here you read are true- Stefano is a wonderful host, and with our limited our Italian we were grateful for his impeccable English. While we had planned some outings, we wanted local recommendations to fill in our time and Stefano provided these excellently, allowing us to make the most of our limited and precious time at this beautiful estate. We had one interesting interaction with an employee of a local vendor - truly not a big deal and something we brushed off as a lost-in-translation moment, but the next morning Stefano had apparently been fully informed, and had the owner of the establishment on the telephone to offer us their personal apologies. We were flabbergasted- it wasn't necessary, but we felt very well taken care of and appreciated the fact that the San Gimignano establishments consider Stefano's guests to be A-list!

The proximity to San Gimignano is excellent. I am a runner and I would say it is walkable, my husband would disagree, so if you are on the fence on this, expect to use your car or take the bikes Stefano makes available. Really, Poggiacolle is in a valley and San Gimignano is on the mountain. We chose to take the car each time. The parking lots in San Gimignano are relatively expensive so prepare for that- but that is the same no matter where you stay. Expect to add on $10 USD to your daily outing for parking.

Conveniences: Stefano is widely available to make recommendations and reservations, there is quick, complimentary internet service available in the pleasant common areas, and the wash is available and free (no automatic dryer, but you can do this at the laundromat in San Gimignano during the rainy season if neessary). And oh.... the breakfast!! The breakfast at San Gimignano is perfect - very continental but just what you need to start your day and Marcella is a dream. Coffee to order, just how you like it, or how she knows you really will like it. We Amazon-ed the traditional Italian coffee pot immediately when we came home, and a month later my husband is exasperated at hearing "It's good.. but it isn't like Marcella made it....". I recall one review requesting that Marcella speak better English. I politely disagree and ask everyone else just to break out your phrasebook - we may never have communicated very deeply with Marcella, but we found her to be (1) an excellent breakfast hostess and baronista, and (2) interested in communicating with us across the language barriers- we learned about her children and animals, she learned where we lived and how many pets we had, etc. We like Marcella just as she is, and we hope to improve our Italian!

Regarding the studio-apartment, don't hesitate to take this. I had another first choice from the pictures, but as that wasn't available Stefano suggested this. It is very tastefully done- the downstairs kitchinette is quite compact but manageable if you must cook inside, the upstairs bedroom and bathroom are roomy. All are well stocked with everything you might need (wine glasses, hair dryer, wine glasses.... :) ). We were pleasantly surprised at the daily cleaning service (not necessarily par-for-the-course at an agriturismo, which operates more akin to a vacation-time-share in the States in that regard). The studio apartment does share the same building that the breakfast room does, and you can hear some noise from that in the morning after 8 am if you are a light sleeper as I am. Hopefully this is a welcome wakeup call to go enjoy everything that is waiting for you just outside your door! Otherwise, just wait a few moments and it will subside.

Important: there are no hidden fees at Poggiacolle- you are their guest, and you have access to all the amenities they advertise.

In sum, we enjoyed our trip to Poggiacolle immensely, would return (can't wait to!), and certainly would recommend it to our family and friends. If you are lucky enough to go to Poggiacolle, please tell Stefano and Marcella "bongiorno!" from us!!

Room Tip: The studio-flat is well appointed and ideal for a couple of two. It shares the building with the resort breakfast room and noise travels somewhat, so if you are insistent on sleeping in very late with no noise, you may wish to choose another apartment. Otherwise, this is a beautiful and convenient option!
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank columbialane
Stefano B, Proprietario at Agriturismo Poggiacolle, responded to this reviewResponded 22 March 2013

Dear Lane and Elias.....
Buongiorno !!!
What can I say ? I' m absolutely impressed about your great comment ! You described very carefully every aspect of what is a holiday at Poggiacolle . I' m so glad that you enjoied your stay in San Gimignano.,,,,I'm doing my best to make my guests feel comfortable at Poggiacolle farm.....and defending them from some vendors is included !! I'm doing this because I whould like all my guests to come back home with only wonderful memories of Poggiacolle and San Gimignano......and of course.....as you said.....all my guests are A-list guests !!! :)
About the coffee story......Elias, don't worry....it takes years to be able to make a Marcella's typical italian coffee, so just keep on trying !!! Anyway..... I translated your kind words to Marcella...and she was so happy and proud...that I think you have already won gallons of italian coffee if you come back to Poggiacolle !
Thank you again for the time that you have dedicated to me and Poggiacolle farm,
I really hope to welcome you again to Poggiacolle, I still have a lot of beautiful places to recommend you.
I wish you all the best,

Ciao , a presto !! ( See you soon ! )

Reviewed 15 November 2012

We found this apartment when looking for somewhere to stay near San Gimingnano for a few days with dear friends. Poggiacolle fitted the bill perfectly and fully justified the top reviews that led to us selecting it. Ideal apartment for 3 couples with luxuriously fitted bedrooms and bathrooms whilst kitchen/living space was superb for breakfasts and meals together. Stefano and his father were the perfect hosts, generous in looking after us and providing us with their own wine and olive oil as well as some breakfast things after our late arrival. We can only recommend this farmhouse and will try to come again, this time with children and in the summer, so we can try the inviting pool.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends
violones, Proprietario at Agriturismo Poggiacolle, responded to this reviewResponded 17 November 2012

Dear Ely,
I would like to thank you so much for your generous comment !
I am very happy to know that your experience at Poggiacolle was so good.
I really hope that you and your friends could come back in summer, with your children.....they will have a lot of fun in the swimming pool.
In that occasion I will be glad to accomodate you in the Girasole ( Sunflower) apartment which is very roomy and comfortable for a big group.
See you soon !
Thank you again for the time you dedicated to Poggiacolle.

Reviewed 4 November 2012

Ever been to stay where the view is breathtaking - that's Agriturisimo Poggiacolle. We were in room #1 upstairs - opened the window and it was like the photo for a postcard. Clearly a 10/10 with outstanding service, excellent location, and a perfect Tuscany stay. On arrival we were given recommendations on restaurants, what to do, and places to see. This is a place where you will want to come back to stay again and again. Breakfast in the rustic kitchen first floor - this is a classic.

Room Tip: Ask if room 1 or 2 is available as the window opens and you can look out to San Gimignano. Listen for the church bells, and soak in the sights and sounds.
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
violones, Proprietario at Agriturismo Poggiacolle, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2012

Dear Rayan,
.....what can I say ?? Your comment is great !! I am really happy to know that you enjoyed your stay at Poggiacolle....and that you enjoyed also my beloved Tuscan countryside.
I really hope to welcome you again to Poggiacolle , thank you again for the time you spent to share your experience.

Reviewed 28 October 2012

We stayed at Poggicalle for 5 nights in Oct 2012 on the recommendation of our brother. This beautiful agriturismo did not disappoint. The views are magnificient, the accommodations are very clean, comfortable, & rustic. 4 of us stayed in the Lovanda apt & it was very roomy. The 2 bedrooms can also be rented out with a the living room & kitchen being shared. The breakfast was superb. Stefano the owner was so welcoming & helpful from the minute we inquired about reservations until the minute we actually left. San Gimignano was great, we even walked there one day. We highly recommend this place & hope that we will be able to return one day.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Debbie,
thank you so much for your kind comment.
Thank you especially for your beautiful words about me and my work !
It was a pleasure to have you at Poggiacolle and I am very happy that everything was fine.
Thank you again for your time, I hope you'll come back soon to Poggiacolle.

Reviewed 18 October 2012

Poggiacolle is a working farm on a hilltop surrounded by about 25 acres of vineyards and olive groves with magnificent views of rural Italy. We had a room and kitchen that opened onto a terrace with a lovely view to the west. Although modest, the room was clean and comfortable and the price was very affordable. A great pool overlooks the countryside. Breakfast is available, but we preferred it by ourselves on our terrace accompanied by a family of friendly, well-mannered cats (no extra charge). We liked the seclusion and quiet with easy access to the town. Our host, Stephano Bartali, was gracious, easy to talk with, and very helpful with information about local restaurants and shops. One his suggestions, an Osteria owned and operated by a lovely lady and her husband, had wonderful, simple Tuscan food (the best Ribolita ever) and terrific local wine. We stayed at four properties in Italy: Poggiacolle, a real farm, was the best. We loved the place and will go back.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bert D
violones, Proprietario at Agriturismo Poggiacolle, responded to this reviewResponded 20 October 2012

Dear Bert,
I was really happy to read your comment.
I enjoyed so much all your kind words. I hope to welcome you again very soon !
best regards,